10-04-2006, 06:37 AM
Did anyone see it? It was on Oct 2nd.

Rhino
10-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Did anyone see it? It was on Oct 2nd.

I saw it. She sure had a lot of MEN helping her!!! :P :P :P

Shorty
10-04-2006, 05:59 PM
I didnt get to watch much but that was my take on it too.

OldBikerGuy
10-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Not to take anything away from women bikers, but she took leave from her job as a nurse in Houston to go play "Biker Build-off" with some good ol' boys in Alabammy. Pure publicity stunt by the Discovery Channel was my take on it. And yes, I watched the entire program. I liked Kim Suter's bike better, but I just happen to prefer pro stockers to bobbers.

CoolMaker
10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Not to take anything away from women bikers, but she took leave from her job as a nurse in Houston to go play "Biker Build-off" with some good ol' boys in Alabammy. Pure publicity stunt by the Discovery Channel was my take on it. And yes, I watched the entire program. I liked Kim Suter's bike better, but I just happen to prefer pro stockers to bobbers.

My sentiments exactly... B)

RacingOrangeRoadster
10-04-2006, 07:35 PM
I thought the best bike lost, but God I'm getting sick of choppers. At least Kim's bike didn't have that big ass air gap between the engine and the top of the frame.

OldBikerGuy
10-04-2006, 08:00 PM
I thought the best bike lost, but God I'm getting sick of choppers. At least Kim's bike didn't have that big ass air gap between the engine and the top of the frame.

I hate that. And also gas tanks that point up like a rocket ready for launching. Reckon you can only fill 'em half-full.

thorsblood
10-11-2006, 09:14 PM
I watched it. <_< She did not build the bike. She turned a few nuts. :huh: Made for interesting TV. :P I did like the bike her "aides" ended up with though.

chesshirecat
11-03-2006, 10:55 AM
I can't believe the crap I am reading here regarding Gypsy's bike. How many wrenches did you see Kim turning? NONE. I know both these builders, personally. I work in the industry, I write about builders, I ride with these people, and I was there for Gypsy's build, from day one to the day they loaded the bikes up for MI. I know the work Gypsy put into this bike, and yes she had a male build crew, how many females are able to take two weeks off from their jobs (by the way, it's a month because they don't film both teams at the same time, the film crew films one week at one shop and goes to the other shop the next week, and rotates back to the second shop on the third week...get the picture?) How many female bike builders with absoulute knowledge of what will work and what won't, with shortcut knowledge of tech. crap are there out there? YOU guys need to spend a few weeks watching a Biker Build Off as it is happenig in the shop to see just how much actual time the builders like Kim Suter, Dave M, Cory Ness, ect. ect. spend on the actual turning of wrenches. Less than the time Gypsy spent turning wrenches and fabracating parts, how do I know this? Like I said, I am in this buisness. I write about these guys...I know them, they know me, I am a female who has been in this industry for more than twenty five years...I know the old guys, I know the young kids just coming up.
Gypsy deserved to win, not because she is a female, but because that damn bike is a bike that is RIDEABLE...HAD NO BREAKDOWNS, WELL CONCIEVED, and just plain good eyecandy to look at. When the bike comes to your world on tour...as they all do...go there and take more than a few seconds with a jundiced eye to look at it...look at it with an open mind...look at the material used in the bike, look at the true design of the bike including the frame and work outwards. This bike is worthy of it's title of winner...and it's designer, dream maker, and builder....GYPSY...is worthy of the recognition of BUILDER WINNER.
The fact she is female??? Screw that you guys, she has the knowledge to design these bikes, the knowledge to understand there are limitaitons to what she herself is able to do in "two weeks," (The same as any other builder out there.) Quit looking at her as a woman, and look at her as a builder...just like all the other builders out there....she won because that bike is the better bike...period. See it in person...and make the judgement yourself.
Chesshirecat.

MSG6567
11-03-2006, 11:07 AM
So tell us how you really feel about it.
Actually nice to hear a the perspective of someone who was there.
You seem angry at the male posters, are you, but not all the posters were male. These are just people posting their thoughts not being personal.

chesshirecat
11-03-2006, 02:28 PM
No, I am not angry at the "male" posters...just angry...because the whole commentary was directed not at the bike, it's design, how it funtions ect. as would have been the comments between two male builders, but rather it was directed at the gender aspect of the build. That is not to say...Discovery didn't want this kind of discussion.... I KNOW for a fact that was exactly what Discovery was banking on...

Could the macho world of bikers...overlook the fact she is female and simply look at the bike it's self, and judge the bike on it's merrits. Well of course not, that's been proven time and again when ever Billy Lane compeates. It's a popularity contest for a majority of the voters. And it's not actually "macho"...it's simply human nature...pit the "weaker" against the "stronger," and there will always be a heated discussion on the contest.

Now with that said, I know it is impossible to look at the bike and not remember the old contraversy...but please do your best to not let gender bias color your vision while checking this bike out. I see that there are so many who prefer the "chopper" over the "bobber," and that's just how it is...that's a bias I wouldn't want to change...I grew up in this lifestyle, and prefer the "bobber" (we didn't call it a bobber then...and I have a hard time calling it one now...) I love the lowslung, sleek, sexy curves of this bike. I love the fact it don't have sharp angles that pull the eye away from the overall beauty of it's flowing lines. I like the fact there is no "air" to bore my mind when I am looking at this bike. I am bombarded with full power when I look at this bike. It's compactness, how everything has it's place, not crowded. This bike don't have so much air between the frame and the engine... I could put a gerbil's exersize wheel in there for when I become bored of riding a bike that is so long I can only go on roads with wide sweeping turns....point A to point B. You see my point? Gypsy's build is a RIDER'S bike.... it has what it takes to get ya there in style, with passion, with class...but it will also get ya to the canyon roads and gives ya the ability to make hairpin curves with agility, and the power to get ya outta those turns and continue to climb on up the canyon roads to the next breath taking curve. That's what I like about this bike...it's more than paint, it's more than a huge engine, it's more than style...it's a bike that takes the road, and everything you want to throw in with it...and it takes it with grace.

OK, now for those of you who live near the Central Florida region. Gypsy and Shorty...both female bike builders...will be at Space Coast Harley Davidson with their respective builds...Nov. 11 through the 13th. Space Coast HD is in Palm Bay Florida...if you would like directions please go to their web site...
Thanks again for allowing me to say my piece here...
Chessie

thorsblood
11-27-2006, 03:05 AM
Wow! :D Your a likeable creature sight unseen. :lol:
I would suggest if you would like us to believe she had more to do with the build than turning a few nuts here and there, you use what ever influence you have to get the Discovery folks to show us that in the future. :D We can really only go by what we see, and that my dear, is all that I saw. <_< I do now stand fully and completely corrected, (and I like it), and I apologize for anything I may have said that was taken as an insult. B)

chesshirecat
11-27-2006, 05:07 AM
Well, I hear ya there brother...actually, in the two weeks they were there filming, they filmed her with her plans on paper, with her talking with her crew discussing what she envisoned for the bike, on the phone making deals for parts...they filmed her operating the lathe, turning down the metal for the kick pedal and handle grips, they filmed her useing the tig welder: expertly welding her own pipes. There were honest to God many hundreds of hours of film...and most of it landed somewhere other than in the allotted time for her portion of the show.
She and her crew worked from five am in the morning to well after midnight...often right into two and three oclock in the morning. The film crew would often leave at nine pm. I would love to see the stuff that didn't make it into her time slot, believe me...there were plenty of tense moments...where no one agreed on how to make this bike work. Often she won the agument. and then again often she lost. That's what having a build team is all about. Everyone taking their talents and experience...and throwing it in...and hoping the powers that be listen.

Thank you for the reply...it's nice to hear from you.
Chessie