PDA

View Full Version : To ride again after 8 years..this time on a Harley

RKCustom05
12-05-2004, 10:14 PM
I don't get my RKCustom until March, but I've become obsessed. Decided to replace smoking with a Hog. I've been reading other posts, particularly the thread on tents. I'm planning to go coast to coast and back this summer and I'm gathering gear and info now. Howdy everyone!

Wrake
12-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Welcome aboard RK. I'm also waiting until March/April, so I know your pain. :lol:

drunks

RKCustom05
12-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the welcome. The pain is tough, but the anticipation is consuming.

Old_Evo
12-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Welcome to HCG. Yeh, it will be a long winter for most of us. But this place is great for asking, building, sharing, and joking around all winter long. Welcome.......Old Evo

RKCustom05
12-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Thanks Old Evo, I'm sure I'll spend altogether too much time here. I started riding in 1968 with a Honda Mini Trail 50. Growing up in New Mexico, a bike was the way to go anywhere. I am now in MD, near DC and decided not to get a bike due to the insane traffic. Now that I'm used to it, I reconsidered and now March can't come soon enough.

buck
12-05-2004, 10:49 PM
welcome RKcustom, I have an 05 RK classic, what a great machine. Treat it well and it will treat you well. I hope you get the bike soon. good luck

johnnyb57
12-05-2004, 11:06 PM
yea, road king is the way to go,,first road bike in like 20 some years, and totally happy........antisipation is the best part no, welllet us know anyway.oh yea welcome to the site. its all good here

RKCustom05
12-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Thanks Buck, I'll treat her well. I spent the day (and the last 2 weekends) digging a path through the hill in my front yard so when I get the RK I can bring it up to the yard. I ordered a nice barn shed for my new baby. I also got the security package including a pager. I've decided on the Stage 1 big bore (95) and SE necessities, a quick release windsheild for the big rides, a Kuyakyn Pod for windshield easy access storage, Kuryakyn grips with the outside throttle flange, rider and passenger backrests, an air pump to adjust the suspension, an easy boy lite clutch to save my hand at long lights, along with plenty of leather and luggage. I haven't decided on pipes yet. I want to find something with the loudness between stock and Vance and Hines. I wonder if Super Trapp has what I want. Any ideas?

wreckerman
12-06-2004, 12:02 AM
rkc05 welcome to the forums , glad you found your way here and i hope you enjoy your stay . a lot of good folks here with a lot of experance so if you dont see the answer to something you want to know just ask meanwhile take a look around there is lot's of information already here.....

RKCustom05
12-06-2004, 12:14 AM
Thanks Wreckerman. Speaking of questions, check out my previous entry for my question on pipes. Also, I'm considering a solo seat as an option. I've looked at Mustang, Corbin, custom from "Alligator Bob", and a few others. Any thoughts on LONG ride comfort?

wreckerman
12-06-2004, 12:23 AM
rkc05 on your first question, it is best if you just listen to as many pipes that you can , and when you find a sound and look you like ask them what they are running i use a white bros series e tuneable slip on's on my 02 rk and they sound good to me but each person is differnt to what they think good is
and on your secound question i have a saddel man tour seat with jell inserts i can ride that seat all day and night with no disconfort but again that is rider preferance some seats make you set taller and some lower also everyone has a differnt sise ass so you do have to try a few before you decide ...sorry but on these 2 there is no correct answer, you just have to go out and see for your self on these idems

Horse
12-06-2004, 12:56 AM
Welcome to HCG 05 RK great machine. Advise above, listen to other bikes is a great way to start, when you hear something you like go one step further, ask the owner to do a couple of drive by's.... slow , on it, and steady at about 3000rpm. What you head static with rev's does not tell the whole story.

Heavy
12-06-2004, 01:20 AM
RKCustom05,

Welcome! I have an 04 and I love it! I did alot of research on pipes and it comes down to sound and performance. I picked up a set of Samson Rolled Thunders 3' ovals. The have a great deep sound and since I didn't change the air coming in there was no need to remap.

Take care!

BikerBabe
12-06-2004, 01:51 AM
Hi there RK, Welcome to HCG....I won't be the one offering you advise on Harleys...too new myself...but I am sure to be one who's posting away and laughing with you! :)

tradrockrat
12-06-2004, 04:34 AM
Welcome to the fun, and these guys got you covered. It's too personal to just pick one, you gotta try 'em out.

momsridin
12-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Welcome :D Enjoy the frey. We can all whine the winter away together. Congrats on the RK. Sounds awesome.