PDA

View Full Version : I-5 or 99

Dyna
10-15-2006, 02:43 AM
Hi So Cal,
A couple of friends and I are going to the Rocky Point Rally in Puerto Penesco, Sonora, Mexico next month. www.rockypointrally.com We will go to Portland from Spokane then down I-5. Once we get Sacramento will it be better to stay on I-5 or is there any benefit to taking 99 south? Our only consideration is we will be in a hurry. Also when we come into L.A. what's the best way to get through there and down to San Diego and I-8?
Thanks guys and gals :D

If anyone wants to join us you're more than welcome. :)

Duke72
10-15-2006, 03:49 AM
Take the 5 all the way to the border. Between Sac and LA there aint poop to see. It is the fastest way though. You might wanna make the trip during daylight hours cuz mofo's be driving fast as hell out there. I was doing 90 and people were still passing me. crapper

furball
10-15-2006, 01:51 PM
i would say I-5 too

Stelis
10-15-2006, 07:42 PM
I rode the 99 from Sacramento to L.A. last June and all was fine. But when I rode it again from Fresno to Bakersfield last Sept, there were places where construction caused some lane closures.

Once you get into Santa Clarita on I-5, just north LA, you'll hit traffic congestion, and will probably be that way all the way through Orange County, but the I-5 is still the shortest route in miles and probably time.

If you simply hate traffic, then go into Bakersfield, and take Hwy 58 all the way to US 395, and then US 395 to I-15, and take I-15 all the way south until it merges with I-5.

Hell, if you're coming from Spokane, just take 395! Much nicer ride.

Dyna
10-16-2006, 04:59 AM
I-5 it is. Thanks for the info.

Furball, thanks!

Duke, 90 and people passing you. I love that shit. That means we can haul and hopefully the police will be busy with others.

Stelis, I'd love to do 395 all the way, but we have to see a man about a dog in Sacramento.

Thanks again, and be safe everyone!!!!

72_Ironhead
10-17-2006, 02:46 AM
Dyna Have a Safe ride. I'm 1 Block off 99W here in Oregon. Me i'd do I-5 but i get a motel in sacromento and leave out at Midnight and ride straight threw to S.D. I like the Sky Scrapers at night.

Dyna
10-17-2006, 03:59 AM
Thanks Ironhead. I lived in Portland for many years. I use to kick around down your way once in a while. We would take 99W on our way to Eugene. Eugene was a great getaway, and what you couldn't find in Portland you could always get in Eugene. groucho

Kinda like going to Mexico, I guess. ;)

Talisman
10-17-2006, 04:56 AM
Unless you really have a reason to be in Portland, from Spokane you could take I-90 to Ritzville and pick up Hwy 395. From there follow it to Pasco WA. and then take I-182 west to I-82 south. Follow I-82 south across the Columbia River at Umatilla OR to around Hermiston and it will run right into I-84. Take I-84 west to Bigg’s Junction and pick up Hwy 97 south. You can follow 97 all the way south to the California/ Oregon border and pick up I-5 at Weed California. This time of year it might be a little dryer going down central Oregon rather than the Willamette Valley area. Also, highway 97 with less traffic is also allot better road for bikes, and will save you some time rather than going all the way over to Portland and then down. If you do choose that route, I would suggest gassing up in Biggs junction, and then again in the Bend, Redmond area. Not allot of places to get gas between Biggs and Madras, but if you gas up at Biggs junction you’ll be fine. I would highly suggest that you try to be south of Bend sometime in the early afternoon. It's a beautiful stretch of highway all the way down into the Siskiyou's, but there are also allot of deer that tend to come out after dark. Also, make sure your pack'n plenty of warm ride'n gear because once you start across the Siskiyou moutains it's going to get pretty nippy. But the good news is that your still going to be lower in altitude than if you headed up over mt Ashland on I-5. Here's a couple of good web sites that might help along the way as well:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pdt/
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/
http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/RCmap.asp?curRegion=0&mainNav=RoadConditions
http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/cctv/traffic_cams.shtml

I've made this ride a couple of times down into Northern California. Hope this helps?

tradrockrat
10-17-2006, 01:07 PM
I took Rt. 5 from Sacramento to LA once.

Boring as hell, but very fast. (Hot as hell too, being August!)

Dyna
10-17-2006, 11:17 PM
Talisman, Yeah I've done 395 and 97 before and they are great bike roads. We can't avoid Portland this time, so it looks like the long way down. :angry: Thanks for the links :D

Trad, Fast is what I'm looking for, hot I can do without. That shouldn't be a problem this time of year. :)

Brobrian
10-18-2006, 04:14 AM
Dude, I love this shit! You guys make me wish I has some time off.

Talisman
10-18-2006, 04:48 AM
Talisman, Yeah I've done 395 and 97 before and they are great bike roads. We can't avoid Portland this time, so it looks like the long way down. :angry: Thanks for the links :D

Trad, Fast is what I'm looking for, hot I can do without. That shouldn't be a problem this time of year. :)

No problem. I'm glad the links worked for you! If your going to Portland, I would suggest takeing Hwy 14 on the Washington side. It will take a little longer than I-84, but it's a great ride and not nearly as windy as I-84. I've even heard of some nasty bike accidents from the wind (two fatalities) on I-84 along the Columbia River. If nothing else, if you get bored on 14, thier are plenty of opportunities to hop back across the Columbia to I-84. Have a safe ride, and look forward to hearing about it when you get back! :)