PDA

View Full Version : Craftsmen Powdercoat System

TyDougherty
10-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Anyone have this or use it. It looks pretty cool and easy to use. Would be great to do rims handlebar risers. Hell, you could anything with a big enough oven :) :) Saw an article about it in a 4 wheel drive mag I get..

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Portable+Power+Tools&pid=00917288000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Power+Painting+%26+Accessories&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Mungo
10-27-2006, 08:39 PM
I have a friend that does professional powdercoating around here. He warned against it, but, he could just be selling his services. Of course, if you had the means to put it on in the first place, touch ups shouldn't bedifficult at all.

I'd try it on a inconspicuous part and see how it hold up under bugs and rock pings before putting it on anything bigger or even more expensive.

If you do it, let us know. I'm definitely interested. I have a Night Train. Unfortunately, some of the cool parts HD sells only come in chrome. I've had some parts done and I've definitely noticed quality differences and peels on some stuff. The stuff my friend did seems to be almost bullet proof.

TyDougherty
10-27-2006, 09:44 PM
i did coatings on garage floors for awhile and it seems that any kind of coatings is all in the prep...So if you take your time to clean trhe part it should stick regardless. its not like the powder can be that much different... i dont thimk at least...

Shepherd
10-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Here's something that should help:

http://www.broncosaurus.net/powder.html

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=458

arthureld
10-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Great stuff Shep. :)

TyDougherty
10-28-2006, 12:28 AM
74.99 from eastwood....Great find shep...You guys ever done it before???

metal-mike
10-28-2006, 04:29 AM
yep...got one and i love it....bought a few take off parts on ebay to pratice on, then ,wifey laid her bike down,scratching the derby cover....i was all set to p/c her new derby...then did the a/c cover and horn cover to match

this is transparent purple over chrome...turned out flawlessly

metal-mike
10-28-2006, 04:30 AM
shot of matching a/c cover

TyDougherty
10-28-2006, 12:11 PM
that looks really good. which one do you have the craftsmen or a dif. one. The only difference i can see is that i don't think you need a air compressor for the craftsmen unit, or maybe i am wrong

metal-mike
10-28-2006, 07:18 PM
that was done w/ the craftsman gun...no air compressor needed... sorta like a blow-dryer[has its own fan built in....]

TyDougherty
10-29-2006, 01:49 AM
thats the one thing i like about the crafstmen unit...although the other ones would give me an excuse to buy an air compressor.....

metal-mike
10-29-2006, 03:14 PM
yeah, i think as i get more requests to do other people's stuff...i'll invest in a bigger set-up. the only limitation i really have right now, is my oven. presently using a convection toaster oven [big enough for 2 larger pizzas]
not quite big enough to do the parts i really want to do.[fork lowers, rims, etc].but its perfect for smaller parts[anything 12" in diameter or less]

i'd go with the craftsman set-up and see how you like doing this stuff before i made a huge investment

one thing to remember though...just as in painting, it's ALL in the prep work!

b.t.w. heres a shot of the horn cover i did for my bike...flat black over the stock chrome piece!