PDA

View Full Version : Texas Hill Country HCG Ride - October 15-17,2004

TexasFatBoy
08-10-2004, 02:33 AM
OK, I think we all know the basics, but we're gathering in the Hill Country on Friday, October 15 (details on accomodations forthcoming), riding some of the best roads in Texas on Saturday followed by an HCG party (and maybe awards ceremony) running late into the night, then Sunday morning we all head for home. Here's possible Saturday through the twisties!

So, now that we're on the new site, who's in?

BigRedMachine
08-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Lookin Good to Me bud... by the way ... I changed my member name since we are on the new site...
part of the witness protection program 8O

Plano-Hog
08-10-2004, 08:26 PM
were in freakin

Hey I dont know if this helps but I was playing with some mapping software
and I worked on the 335-336-337 loop and made some webpages
take a look here ( click on the small maps to make larger )
http://divetx.org/MAPS/rockspringsindex.html
bottomsup

Hellswraith
08-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Im on Vacation that weekend ! Count me in as well !!

drunks

TexasFatBoy
08-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Terry, those look great! Thanks! 1beer

magoo
08-13-2004, 05:35 AM
I'm still in and lookin' foward to it. this will be the start of My 3 week vaction... and plan on putting on a bunch a miles. we''ll head west after this ride and check out the sites in N.M. woot

TexasFatBoy
08-13-2004, 06:00 AM
Love N.M. - great canyons and country out there. Might want to drop Ironhead a line - I think he's a New Mexican.

Mikey
08-14-2004, 07:11 AM
TFB, you just don't know how much I miss my Texas!!!

I'm transplanted to VA by chance, not choice (long story)! My childhood days were spent in the oil fields of West Texas, joined the Navy at 19, stationed in Corpus Christi '79-'82.

You're riding in God's Country...jealous I am!

Boy howdy, I'd give anything to have the time and $$ for an eyeball and a ride witcha!!!

Plano-Hog
08-14-2004, 01:12 PM
TFB, you just don't know how much I miss my Texas!!!

I'm transplanted to VA by chance, not choice (long story)! My childhood days were spent in the oil fields of West Texas, joined the Navy at 19, stationed in Corpus Christi '79-'82.

You're riding in God's Country...jealous I am!

Boy howdy, I'd give anything to have the time and $$ for an eyeball and a ride witcha!!!

Just missed you Mikey and welcome to HCG I left CC texas 1977 parents
left 82 , I used to drag race not far the the gates of the base back towards
town , in front of what was UCC now is Aggies of CC
1beer

NJ13
08-17-2004, 11:09 PM
i feel like the fat kid when the kickball teams r picking players...
my work season starts to kick in to 6th gear around sept-jan.... always wanted to see TX too.. have some fun for me will ya'll......

cant wait til i retire in 37 F#*king yrs ill ride cross country and back every year til i die

TexasFatBoy
09-05-2004, 06:32 PM
First off, this needed a bump, but the real reason I wanted to chime in on this again is to let everyone know that I'm in the process of locating us some digs for the weekend. At this point I'm looking at a couple places where they have cabins and camping, that way those who want to camp and save some $$ can do so and those that want a little more comfort can stay in cabins, but we'll all be in the same locale for the partyin' part.

I should have some more details soon.

wreckerman
09-06-2004, 12:05 AM
B) that is why you are the man

TexasFatBoy
09-27-2004, 06:54 PM
OK folks, the date is coming closer and I want to start getting a head count. There are several places we could stay and I'd like to set it up so everyone will be in the same place, so a couple of questions:

Several places offer cabins or B&B style accomodations, others offer good camping and a few offer both, or in one or two places I've looked, they have cabins, RV spots, and tent camping, so the first question is, how many of you are considering camping? To help you make that decision, several of the cabin/B&B type places run about $80-$95 a night, but I can probably get us a group rate if I know how many to expect.

Second, we could probably stay in a motel in/around Fredericksburg area for about $60-$75/night if that's preferable.

Any thoughts on all this? I'd like to get crackin' on this so we can all get reservations set in the next week or so.

TFB

magoo
09-28-2004, 01:49 AM
Hey TFB, Wife and are still on go. We are starting a vacation and will have our tent with us. We can Camp! We can B&B! We can Cabin ! It does'nt matter to us. Last spring we camped at Potters Creek State park at Canyon Lake. But I know we will be farther west than that, right?

Get a few more replies..... then we'll have a better Idea what everyone wants to do. I'm Game for anything. :)

Hellswraith
09-29-2004, 06:31 AM
Well Im definately gonna make this one as I missed the SeaWall . Kid has a bye week in football too . Now my wife mentioned she wouldnt mind making a weekend out of it and come along with the kids as well . Problem there is I dont want them to be stuck in a campground all day while Im out riding . Having said that - is there a possibilty of a hotel with a pool near here ? And plenti of shopping so I can give her the credit card for the day !! :lol:

So yes Im in - put me down for something !!

TexasFatBoy
09-29-2004, 04:24 PM
If we stay up near Fredericksburg (which is one of the palces I'm looking at) there's plenty of shopping and things to do there. She could find tons of ways to spend your money there! :lol:

Plano-Hog
09-29-2004, 10:25 PM
If we stay up near Fredericksburg (which is one of the palces I'm looking at) there's plenty of shopping and things to do there. She could find tons of ways to spend your money there! :lol:

ouch whip ip wife spent pretty good down at galveston..

Plano-Hog
09-29-2004, 11:38 PM
looks like wife wont make it but i will :) about 6 hours (300) from dallas if it is dry i may camp and save on $$ will have to keep body well oiled at night
to keep back from spazzing out on me .

Im in..

Terry

Hellswraith
09-30-2004, 09:55 AM
Cool deal - Terry !! What time are you planning on leaving by the way . I can adjust schedule accordindly as Im on vacation . I was also thinking instead of the concrete jungle known as I-35S we could take 20 west to 281 south and then 290 west to Fredericksburg !! I've never taken that road so I dont know if its scenic or not . Gotta be better than I-35S .

Also Magoo - if your coming down I-20 West and want to meet us for the ride let us know ..

Wide
09-30-2004, 03:28 PM
You guys better get some pictures for the gallery.

I can make a section for the event 1beer

Plano-Hog
09-30-2004, 06:45 PM
Cool deal - Terry !! What time are you planning on leaving by the way . I can adjust schedule accordindly as Im on vacation . I was also thinking instead of the concrete jungle known as I-35S we could take 20 west to 281 south and then 290 west to Fredericksburg !! I've never taken that road so I dont know if its scenic or not . Gotta be better than I-35S .

Also Magoo - if your coming down I-20 West and want to meet us for the ride let us know ..

anything west of 35 should be ok.. maybe on the way home 35 would
be a good choice but not on a friday :o

magoo
09-30-2004, 11:38 PM
Hellswraith... We were planning on riding across Toledo Bend lake, Jasper,Tx. , Woodville, Huntsville, College Station so on. But ya never know, I never chisil things in stone. I'll let ya'll know when we get ready to hit the road...............Thanks for the invite ;)

Hellswraith
10-01-2004, 01:22 AM
Hellswraith... We were planning on riding across Toledo Bend lake, Jasper,Tx. , Woodville, Huntsville, College Station so on. But ya never know, I never chisil things in stone. I'll let ya'll know when we get ready to hit the road...............Thanks for the invite ;)

No problems I was just gonna invite you for the ride but dont go out of your way . Well see ya in the hill country !!

TexasFatBoy
10-01-2004, 02:32 PM
The ride across to 281 S is much better than I-35 and still fairly direct - if y'all are looking to really make it a day of riding, I can give you the 7 hour DFW to Austin style version! :lol:

Hellswraith
10-01-2004, 02:58 PM
The ride across to 281 S is much better than I-35 and still fairly direct - if y'all are looking to really make it a day of riding, I can give you the 7 hour DFW to Austin style version! :lol:

FoooooooCK THAT !!! Im looking for the fastest and easiest road !!

I think that route I planned is better than 35 anyday ! Have you been down that road TFB ? Ill be leaving about 5pm Friday and figure Ill be there around 10 ?

Remember this - I have Wife and kids in tow , Ill have to stop 10 times for shit that should wait till we get there !!

Seee ya in the HILL COUNTRY !!!

juker

wreckerman
10-01-2004, 07:26 PM
hellswreath, are we there yet ? hun.. are we there yet,i gotta pee , im hungry, are we there yet ........ect ,ect, :lol: :lol: :o

Hellswraith
10-02-2004, 12:48 AM
hellswreath, are we there yet ? hun.. are we there yet,i gotta pee , im hungry, are we there yet ........ect ,ect, :lol: :lol: :o

Hehee - I see you've had this problem before too Wrecker !!!

:D

curley725
10-02-2004, 02:19 AM
Hi Texas Riders
I see some of you are heading to the Hill Country!!!!
I lived in in easy riding distance from that area for years. I sure miss that area. I worked at Jim's cycle Shop just out side of Waco for over ten years. They have some really good Parties at Jim's too.To get on their party flyer list go to jimscycle.com they are some really good people.

curley725

TexasFatBoy
10-02-2004, 08:09 PM
HW - I forgot you'd be with wife and kids for the drive down! Actually I rode 281 quite a bit - that's how I came up to DFW for the NTRockRally!

curley - welcome to the forums! Love Jim's but I don't make it up there very often. You're welcome to ride on back and join us! 1beer

magoo
10-03-2004, 01:27 AM
Welcome Curley.......Where ya at ? We can hook up and make the ride over. :D

TexasFatBoy
10-05-2004, 02:26 PM
OK folks, I've got a lead on a new place opening in the Hill Country called Koyote Ranch that has two or three different types of cabins, RV hookups, luxury and regular tent camping sites and some dedicated motorcycle camping sites complete with covered parking for your scoot!

The prices seem about average for the area and it looks like we all may be able to get one-night free lodging with purchase of the second night (in other words, stay for 1/2 price!) Just click on the link on the left hand side where it says "One Night Free!" and fill out the survey - once you are done, it automatically posts a coupon with your name and a coupon number on it for you to print out.

The place is located perfectly for our run as it sits on Hwy 16 between Kerrville and Bandera (Hellswraith, your OL and kids can get to Fredericksburg to spend your money pretty easily - I can also point em to the outlet mall in San Marcos! :D)

Everyone please check out this site and let me know what you think. I have emailed the owners to (a) make sure they actually got opened, (b) see if they have space, and (c) see if they'll give us a group discount (probably not if we all show up with the "one night free" coupons)!

I'll update you when I learn more, but here's their website: http://www.koyoteranch.com/

Hellswraith
10-06-2004, 06:30 AM
TFB - looks like a winner to me . I got my coupon and Ill probably have to take a cabin cause of the kids . Looking forward to it here in a few weeks .

drunks

Wide
10-06-2004, 06:39 AM
Man now your takin the Wife & kids? They must have figured what a good time you had at DFW & want to go :lol:

Hellswraith
10-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Man now your takin the Wife & kids? They must have figured what a good time you had at DFW & want to go :lol:

Well the truth be told - my ol lady said I cant go unless she gets to go too !!! :lol:

Plano-Hog
10-06-2004, 01:32 PM
If the weather holds I try outside tent style if not.. indoors.. Ill probably be solo
this trip.. UIL competition going on with one of the daughters.
THe place looks great.. and it would be more fun to have a community of hcg people.

T

drunks

TexasFatBoy
10-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Still haven't heard back from em by email so I'll call today. I'll let ya know if they are actually open for business and then we'll book it - make it better if we can all be in one area! drunks

Wide
10-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Well the truth be told - my ol lady said I cant go unless she gets to go too !!! :lol:

That could be the start of something great, I dont go anywhere with out my O/L, was a time where I would go everywhere alone, at my old age I like it much better this way shareing my fun.

Working on a kid seat for my bike also ;)

Hellswraith
10-06-2004, 05:02 PM
If the weather holds I try outside tent style if not.. indoors.. Ill probably be solo
this trip.. UIL competition going on with one of the daughters.
THe place looks great.. and it would be more fun to have a community of hcg people.

T

drunks

HEY PLano - dude I ordered a nice cabin - your welcome to crash
in my room - even if ya get the couch !!! Hahah see ya'll in a couple weeks !!

PS - were gonna get the first bill before TFB does this time !!

Hellswraith
10-06-2004, 05:05 PM
Still haven't heard back from em by email so I'll call today. I'll let ya know if they are actually open for business and then we'll book it - make it better if we can all be in one area! drunks

They officially opened August 23rd , 2004 I believe !! They have rooms available ! I ordered a cabin for 125 bukcs for 2 nights with the free night coupon when ya register on their website . Anyone need a floor to crash on are welcomed !!

drunks

magoo
10-06-2004, 07:04 PM
that's a real cool place there... I'm going to reserve a cabin , what area are ya'll in, getaway cabins? honeymoon cabin's ? O/L and I will be there Fri. afternoon , sure hope the weather co-operates. :D

TexasFatBoy
10-06-2004, 07:22 PM
I looked at the map and I'm gonna request a cabin near the MC tent area since I figure somebody will probably camp.

Plano-Hog
10-06-2004, 08:41 PM
:D I would be glad to take a couch and pay a bit on the bill.. I dont have
any camping stuff that will fit on the bike..

OL goes with me 99% of the time.. but we have a conflict that weekend so
I have been good and she will let me out to play.. but I bet the phone will
ring every five minutes..

T

TexasFatBoy
10-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Looks like ours will have a futon downstairs and a queen bed in the loft. You're welcome to crash with us and get away from them darn kids! :lol:

wreckerman
10-06-2004, 10:30 PM
sounds like things are coming togeather , and sounds like a great time , now if tfb can cheak in with a suitcase that wights 260lbs i could be there...

TexasFatBoy
10-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Pull out that old trunk and we'll cut ya some air holes! :lol:

Hellswraith
10-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Well bad news all !! The Camp called me back today and said that they are not going to be open for business until November !!! caged

So I guess we gotta seek alternative arrangements ..

magoo
10-07-2004, 11:06 AM
Ain't that a pisser! Well I'll still have my tent with me anyway, I Am Goin' To Hill Country .......No Matter What. Even if I have to make shelter from " Tumble Weeds" :lol:

Plano-Hog
10-07-2004, 12:02 PM
:rolleyes: it always something.... were going to college station today
to let oldest daughter stay over night with the band/core at TAMU
Ill be out for a short time.. ill try to find shelter near the group where
ever that is

-T

TexasFatBoy
10-07-2004, 03:51 PM
OK folks, there is a Days Inn in Kerville running about $63/night. Also, if we wanna stay closer to Devils Backbone, but a little further from the main loop and Bandera area (take us about 45 min - 1 hr on Saturday morning to reach Bandera for breakfast at the OST), there are a couple good places along the river road in Canyon Lake that have cabins and tent sites.

If no one is going to be camping, then maybe the Days Inn is the way to go, if folks wanna pitch a tent, then I'd suggest Canyon lake. Thoughts?

RKCustom_TX
10-07-2004, 11:43 PM
have y'all considered the HOG STOPP INN? they have cabins that are 2 storys and real spaceious, maybe they'll cut you guys a deal, since its quite afew going, but splitting a cabin would come out real cheap too...

http://www.hogstopinn.com

no to mention breakfast and booze :D

EDIT: i guess i should've read the whole post before tooting off!! lol
looking you guys are already good with that place on HWY 16..

Hellswraith
10-08-2004, 01:19 AM
Hmm the Hog Stop Inn looks like a good place to me . Im easy to please so whatever ya'll wanna do is fine . If we all wanna stay there we should call about gettting a group rate .

TexasFatBoy
10-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Tried the HogStop Inn a couple weeks ago and they were already down to just one cabin left and called back yesterday and they're full for the weekend - that was one of my top choices originally as well, but wasn't sure if folks wanted to camp, which HogStop doesn't offer.

Plano-Hog
10-09-2004, 04:40 PM
:D less than a week away

T

magoo
10-09-2004, 07:41 PM
The O/L is already worried about getting everything packed in the bike. Told her to GIT ON!!! SIT DOWN!!! and HANG ON!!! :wub: :P

Plano-Hog
10-10-2004, 05:14 AM
Glad the rain is going to let up before the weekend. its rained nearly all day and night .. where is every one going to camp/park/passout/get a room
this weekend ? the days inn mentioned above ?? Its going to be about
11pm to get there (300 miles) unless I get out early from work.
drunks

Hellswraith
10-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Plano - if ya wanna ride with me your welcome and just give me a call !!

Im leaving here between 4 - 6 pm most likely . I guess with the recent weather developments , lets just get the local motel 8 for a few nights and hope we can ride !! If not we'll pull a michigan deal and stand around a fire !! :lol:

Either way we win ! best time of the year is now ...

:angry:

BigRedMachine
10-11-2004, 04:13 PM
well kids... I'm not making it out wit ya this weekend...
I am assisting in finding 150 people to be Extra's for the Zombie movie "Necrophobia" being filmed here in Houston.

Check out the Movie link.
http://www.odysseepictures.com

It's all part of the constant obsession with the dark perverse unknown parts of our brains.
By the way I'll be wearing my HCG shirt --- B)

TexasFatBoy
10-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Ok folks, since it looks like no one is really planning to camp, let's just book rooms at the Days Inn in Kerville. I'll put together a contact list/agenda and send it out tonight or tomorrow.

Plano-Hog
10-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Ok folks, since it looks like no one is really planning to camp, let's just book rooms at the Days Inn in Kerville. I'll put together a contact list/agenda and send it out tonight or tomorrow.
sounds good to me.. weather looking good for the weekend from austin.
groucho

Hellswraith
10-12-2004, 12:30 AM
Sounds good to me .. Im hoping the weathers gonna be nice .. Vacations coming along rather nicely so far .. See ya'll this weekend ...

drunks

magoo
10-12-2004, 01:45 AM
Days Inn will work for me. Will be headin' out thurs. and see ya'll friday some time 1beer

Hellswraith
10-12-2004, 03:25 AM
Just to check if we can get a better deal I found a place ! Expedia.com has a Super 8 Kerville for 52 bucks a night !

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=htfv&itid=&itdx=&itty=&from=f

Heard of this one TFB ? If not sounds like the days Inn is the deal !!! See ya next weekend and all be sure to give me a call about travel plans this Friday morning ...

drunks

TexasFatBoy
10-12-2004, 03:33 AM
Days Inn was recommended by the woman from the HogStop as a biker-friendly place. Not sure of the Kerrville-8.

BTW, all of ya planning to make this, PM me with your cell number, email address and expected time of arrival in Kerrville Friday and I'll shoot a preliminary agenda out to everybody with all contact info.

Hellswraith
10-12-2004, 04:58 AM
Called down to the Days Inn in Kerrville and they have sufficient room to accomodate us . The rooms are 69.00 bucks a night and can sleep up to 4 .

And NO I wont be sleeping in TFB's room - so there's plenti of floor space available in his pad !!! :lol:

drunks

TexasFatBoy
10-12-2004, 03:07 PM
OK, for you folks that haven't had the pleasure of riding FM337, the no. 1 motorcycle road in TX, here's a preview of what you can expect from the riding this weekend. It's about a 5 minute video someone did of FM337 between Vanderpool and Leakey - wasn't done from a Harley, but a pretty good glimpse of the riding none the less.

For you broadband folks: http://www.bitsof.info/us/tx/337VanLeaHi.wmv

And for those on dial-up: http://www.bitsof.info/us/tx/337VanLeaLo.wmv

Enjoy the preview and see y'all on Friday!

TexasFatBoy
10-12-2004, 03:30 PM
BTW, book your room online directly through www.daysinn.com or click here (http://www.daysinn.com/DaysInn/control/Booking/check_avail;jsessionid=Br409mHQyx9FJcqO1ZECOhpSc8F 1rIDKBmdRmEkvMSUzra5u7KBF!1372364508!1618349819) to go directly to the Kerrville Days Inn reservations page. If you book online through Days Inn, the rate is 62.99/night.

magoo
10-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Got a room booked for fri. & sat. thru the Days Inn site (thanks TFB) see ya'll fri ....... I'm ready to ride.

Plano-Hog
10-13-2004, 03:03 AM
OK, for you folks that haven't had the pleasure of riding FM337, the no. 1 motorcycle road in TX, here's a preview of what you can expect from the riding this weekend. It's about a 5 minute video someone did of FM337 between Vanderpool and Leakey - wasn't done from a Harley, but a pretty good glimpse of the riding none the less.

For you broadband folks: http://www.bitsof.info/us/tx/337VanLeaHi.wmv

And for those on dial-up: http://www.bitsof.info/us/tx/337VanLeaLo.wmv

Enjoy the preview and see y'all on Friday!

exellent vid.. ill get room in the morning

T

Hellswraith
10-13-2004, 06:49 PM
May I suggest we all meet there and then get our rooms ? Just so were all close and can tie the bikes up togther .. :o I think the price is 62.99 whether or not you reserve over the internet or not . Perhaps we can tell them we need the motorcycles wing of their hotel !! You know - off in the corner , total pool access , near the field , no one else in the building !! :lol:

See ya's Friday night . drunks

wreckerman
10-13-2004, 09:39 PM
and a hundred cases of budwiser long necks, hope you guys get good weather and have a fun time .....

Plano-Hog
10-13-2004, 11:12 PM
May I suggest we all meet there and then get our rooms ? Just so were all close and can tie the bikes up togther .. :o I think the price is 62.99 whether or not you reserve over the internet or not . Perhaps we can tell them we need the motorcycles wing of their hotel !! You know - off in the corner , total pool access , near the field , no one else in the building !! :lol:

See ya's Friday night . drunks

Ill contact them and see if that is possible..

weather looking good for austin and san-antonio

T

Hellswraith
10-15-2004, 04:55 AM
and a hundred cases of budwiser long necks, hope you guys get good weather and have a fun time .....

You mean Shiner Bock !!! :lol:

TFB wont let anyone get the bill so Im bringing him some beer this time ...

And gonna try a ninja style sneak attack on the first bar tab too !!

:ph34r:

The weather looks great - low 80's and no rain !!!

drunks

speedman
10-15-2004, 12:14 PM
gonna try a ninja style sneak attack on the first bar tab too !!

Good luck. :wacko: It takes a skilled hand to beat him at that game. :D

Plano-Hog
10-15-2004, 01:28 PM

caged well I just go to the managment and tell them

he is under our care ,, he just got out of the pen for
printing currency

T

TexasFatBoy
10-15-2004, 02:31 PM

caged well I just go to the managment and tell them

he is under our care ,, he just got out of the pen for
printing currency

T

Damn, that one might just work! One look at me and they'd believe ya for sure! :lol:

And HW, ya really shouldn't tell me what you're planning! Stealth, dude! Stealth is the key! ;) :P

wreckerman
10-15-2004, 07:22 PM
it is indeed hart to beat eather tfb or speedman to the tab it can be done but it is hard, this could become a olimpic event :lol: :lol:

speedman
10-16-2004, 02:36 AM
We're going to need an award for the next rally for the fastest check grabber. Or should I say check grabbers? Didn't we decide it was going to be a tag team event? It's TFB and myself against everybody else. :D