PDA

View Full Version : The Age Myth

Brobrian
11-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Do you remember when some Fizzy-Yellow-Pisswater company or other put out a series of ads about beer gone "skunky"? What effect do you think age has on ales? I'm of the opinion that it gets better, especially the darker brews. Hmm, let me taste this one again..yep, pretty damn good. And over a year old too.
So what do you think? <_<

Tony
11-23-2006, 01:57 AM
Light is what causes beer to go skunky more than anything else. Usually, for homebrewers, this happens when beer is fermenting, as in using a glass carboy to ferment in, and allowing it to sit in proximity of a light source with UV wave lengths throughout the fermentation. UV light and hop compounds do not interact together well, and thats what causes the skunkiness in beer. Commercially it happens if beer is bottled in clear or green bottles, and is allowed exposure to UV light sources. So, age does play a factor...only when its left out in the UV unprotected.

The beer companies that spouted the "skunky" beer commercials were just taking advantage of the mass majority of people who didnt know the real story. ;)

Shorty
11-23-2006, 01:58 AM
TONY!!!!!!!!!! :D

wreckerman
11-23-2006, 12:50 PM
tony good to see you posting , i always thought beer went skunky from cooling it then letting it get warm then cooling it again

MSG6567
11-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Maybe we should ask beer questions more often.
nice to see ya Tony.