PDA

View Full Version : The 1st Annual HCG California Poker Run, Sat.Jan. 20th, 2007

mightywarlock
11-13-2006, 12:33 AM
I was thinking how all of us here in CA never seem to do too much together, and whenever we do it seems somewhat scattered, so i was thinking of hosting another ride, but this time making it a Poker Run, and making it something we do every year. And this time i promise NOT to plan some crazy 500 mile ride...would limit the amount of miles planned for the ride, so there is more time to have fun at the stops.

maybe plan it for January ?

Opinions?

Wide
11-13-2006, 12:37 AM
Sounds pretty cool to me.

Jan is about the best riden weather we have :D

mightywarlock
11-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Sounds pretty cool to me.

Jan is about the best riden weather we have :D

ya think? i would just hope it wouldnt rain.

we need some sort of California annual event ya know...

this could be fun...and have some folks help with prizes for the winners and such....like we did 2 years ago...

Ledhed
11-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Would this be something that's held here in socal or would it be taken north some, so that the people up north could join in on?

arthureld
11-13-2006, 12:47 AM
I'll try to make it. I'm due for a trip to Cali. B)
A TJ run would be cool too. kam

mightywarlock
11-13-2006, 12:57 AM
Would this be something that's held here in socal or would it be taken north some, so that the people up north could join in on?

anything is possible, but as a one day event, and poker run, i dunno how we would work that in...but i was just thinking about it today (farmer's insurance sponsored the love ride, and was giving out decks of cards (and i grabbed a whole handful of them, as it gave me this idea for the poker run).

if we were gonna do it as a one day ride, we would have to figure out whether it would be a norcal thing, socal thing, or in the middle somewhere so if people wanted to travel north or south we could all do it.
depends on who is interested i suppose...
the AMOUNT of interest will garner how much support we put into this right?
i mean, what about people in san diego? will they want to travel all day just to get to the starting point? they still have to ride back home. same for folks from up north. do we make it a whole weekend thing? some folks wont have the time for it. are we going to have people coming from other places in the country to join in? if we do it in january, some folks might not want to ride through the cold in other areas of the country to get here.
i have learned from the previous rides we have done, not to overplan or try to do too much, as it should be something more enjoyable for us getting together, rather than all out riding, as you know we like to do sometimes.
as i said, throw out some idea's and lets see where it takes us...

bfdahl
11-13-2006, 01:02 AM
that would be cool! Im a LA transplant, I live in Diamond bar and dont ride to the coast or past the 605 much for that matter (By choice) by i wouldnt mind ridin with some folks that know the area real well.

Wide
11-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Why just confine it to HCG

Post it at some of the dealers along with Cooks Corner & the Rock store, Neptunes etc

We could call it the "cure for new years hangover"
I'm sure we can come up with some prizes, HCG & Gangsta Choppers would be happy to chip in :D

arthureld
11-13-2006, 01:26 AM

Post it at some of the dealers along with Cooks Corner & the Rock store, Neptunes etc

I'm sure we can come up with some prizes, HCG & Gangsta Choppers would be happy to chip in :D

It's about time Cali got serious about get togethers. boobs

mightywarlock
11-13-2006, 01:45 AM

It's about time Cali got serious about get togethers. boobs

hey, i've tried several times, you know that...just seems so hard actually getting anyone to show up to these month long planned rides...i have tried my tour of the twisties ride (which i will take you on sometime you are back here...) and each time, only a small handful of folks come out to play...seems strange when we have so many motorcycle riders here in CA....

mightywarlock
11-13-2006, 01:49 AM

Wide, you and i should talk about it a lil bit more, as i would have to see if there was enough time to get it in thunder press or quick throttle...(probably too late).
but maybe next year...plus usually there is money involved and such, but we arent going to charge anyone anything. so i guess the only thing we can offer folks are prizes.
i dunno...it's a good idea, but i dunno...
we dont even have a date yet...we need to hear from more folks about it...so we can start planning it...

Stelis
11-13-2006, 07:31 AM
hey, i've tried several times, you know that...just seems so hard actually getting anyone to show up to these month long planned rides...i have tried my tour of the twisties ride (which i will take you on sometime you are back here...) and each time, only a small handful of folks come out to play...seems strange when we have so many motorcycle riders here in CA....
If you want SoCal riders to come out and ride, you gotta charge them $70 per rider, and make them believe they'll see Jay Leno.
juker

tradrockrat
11-13-2006, 02:45 PM
I got so sick of waiting for Cali get togethers I moved to Texas! ;)

Make this happen and I promise to do what I can to make it out there. :D

nascardriver
11-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Mightywarlock, at the top of your flyer in big bold letters print out the word FREE TAKE ONE.....then put several up at one location that people can tear off and take with them. It really works well that way and you will get people from all over that way. Also just pick a date, if you try and work around others events you will never have a date.

Wide
11-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Wide, you and i should talk about it a lil bit more, as i would have to see if there was enough time to get it in thunder press or quick throttle...(.

Yeahs were late for that just because of the holiday season, there pretty much shut down for the off season (seasonal stuff)

If you want SoCal riders to come out and ride, you gotta charge them $70 per rider, and make them believe they'll see Jay Leno.

I think he hit the nail on the head on getting people out for a ride, it really needs a scam

:D

mightywarlock
11-13-2006, 04:16 PM
as i said before, i want to see how much interest there is in doing this ride with everyone. so let's have a count. who's interested in doing this Poker Run ride in January?

Shorty
11-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Great idea mighty. I hope it works out.

Boomer
11-13-2006, 04:41 PM
If you have this in January and I deceide to make it, Ill need to find a tire chain to fit my fat tire and make the trip over Donner......
Boomer

Shorty
11-13-2006, 04:45 PM
If you have this in January and I deceide to make it, Ill need to find a tire chain to fit my fat tire and make the trip over Donner......
BoomerFuck that. Just fit your chopper with a plow! :lol:
(Last winter the heat strips in the hwy out here worked like a charm with keeping ice off the roadway. Hopefully they'll catch on elsewhere soon.)

Robustus
11-13-2006, 08:47 PM
Sounds fun, if it's in So Cal.
You said you wanted time to hang out & gab then limit the miles cause you have to have time at the end for everyone to check in & figure best & worst hands & hand out the prizes or % of cash back. Add to that the commute time there & back. Emphsis on the event & not the ride so it's more a social thing. IMO

mightywarlock
11-13-2006, 09:58 PM
thats what i was thinking of, but i also think it will be a smaller event this year...
so there will be just prizes that anyone can donate, especially since i dont think we should be charging ourselves any money to hang out.
keep in mind, this should be more of a social event than a pure contest.
the Poker Run is just an idea to add a little more fun to the get together, give it more purpose, perhaps.

Stelis
11-14-2006, 09:47 AM
as i said before, i want to see how much interest there is in doing this ride with everyone. so let's have a count. who's interested in doing this Poker Run ride in January?
I'm up for doing it if you can nail down a date before January.

mightywarlock
11-14-2006, 02:44 PM
going to look through thunder press later to check on events on the Jan. 20th/21st weekend.

just one idea so far...

mightywarlock
11-15-2006, 05:09 PM
So i took a look through quick throttle magazine and thunder press, and the current issues i have dont seem to list anything much going on for January yet,
so i was thinking about January 21th for this ride.

Sunday, Jan. 21st 2007 work for anyone?

Shorty
11-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Why on a Sunday mighty?

mightywarlock
11-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Why on a Sunday mighty?

i dunno.
it could be on a saturday as well, then Jan. 20th...

either of those days work for anyone?

either saturday Jan. 20th, or Sun. Jan. 21st.???

Robustus
11-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Saturdays are good, less going home traffic for those from other areas..

mightywarlock
11-16-2006, 07:12 AM
so that's one vote for the Saturday.
anyone else care to share their opinion?

cprteacher
11-16-2006, 07:28 AM
I' up for a fast run down the coast to meet all you SoCal guys & gals. I've got to visit San Louis Obisbo as part of the NorCal HD Dealers Association History Trek and that would be a great time to do so. Can you make the run closer to SLO?

Bill

mightywarlock
11-18-2006, 02:29 AM
anyone else have any opinions here?

we need to gauge interest so we can put this whole thing together.
please respond....

Ledhed
11-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Why on a Sunday mighty?

i dunno.
it could be on a saturday as well, then Jan. 20th...

either of those days work for anyone?

either saturday Jan. 20th, or Sun. Jan. 21st.???

I think Sat ride would be better for most. That gives everyone Sunday to recooperate.

funcouple92544
11-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Saturday always works best for us.

Ledhed
11-20-2006, 01:31 AM
Saturday always works best for us.

Hey guys! :D good to see ya here! Be sure to go introduce yourselves!

http://www.harleychatgroup.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=2

gman
11-20-2006, 06:28 AM
That will be cool I'm going

mightywarlock
11-20-2006, 07:51 AM
alrighty. Saturday Jan. 20th. Poker Run. Free. prizes. (and please feel free to help with the donated prizes as well, so we can all have some fun and all feel like winners).

more info, such as location and such to come soon...

i know some of you temecula folks are interested...so i need to gauge more interest from elsewhere, so nail down a location.

c'mon folks...speak up! where are you out there?

Shorty
11-20-2006, 04:14 PM
alrighty. Saturday Jan. 20th. Poker Run. Free. prizes. (and please feel free to help with the donated prizes as well, so we can all have some fun and all feel like winners).Awesome! :D

mightywarlock
11-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Here's how i am thinking of having this ride go down.
we will meet at a meeting point, as any other group ride.
everyone picks a card before we leave and gets their poker card marked.
we will then have 3 stops, at which point everyone picks a card at each.
then we will have a final stop where we pick the final card and have lunch and hang out, etc...

ALL I have left to do is pick the locations and figure out a good starting/meeting point and try to map the ride...which i have a few ideas, but we shall see...and figure if i will tell you where we will be going, or make it a surprise.

groucho

Ledhed
11-21-2006, 02:28 PM
A surprize? You mean like 250 miles of twisties? :D

RCRider
11-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Hey everyone! Long time no...

This sounds cool. I'm in! Either Saturday or Sunday 20/21st works. I have a couple of items I'll be donating for prizes.

Robustus
11-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Has been awhile, Good to see ya How's things?

RCRider
11-22-2006, 03:46 AM
Still here, just workin to pay bills!

How's everything?

Ledhed
11-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Still here, just workin to pay bills!

How's everything?

Thing are going alright! How you guys been? Haven't seen you since Las Vegas last year. Good to see ya!

Brobrian
11-22-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm in MW. I prefer Sat., but will flex. I'd like to meet the area HCG riders, some of the folks we only know by screen name. IMHO nothing wrong with a more miles, as long as we stop at a place that serves decent beer.
Thanks for steppin up.

mightywarlock
11-27-2006, 02:10 PM
2mean2like and I went on a ride this weekend starting the ride planning route.
if my idea works out, it might be a cold ride (so we would have to dress warm)...but a very scenic and beautiful one at that.

there may be 2 starting points (havent decided yet) just to accomodate those of you from the temecula area to save you a few miles from the start...but at the moment the main starting area will most likely be near the 405 and 101 intersections at the Gelson's on Van Nuys Blvd in Sherman Oaks (91403). There is a coffee shop, and gas stations to fill up again there, to warm you up after you get there in the morning.

More details to come soon...

Wide
11-27-2006, 04:07 PM
405 & 101 is good for me

Just put a few more ponies in the panhead yesterday & ready to play :D

tradrockrat
11-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Please tell me you are NOT taking them above the snow line!!! :lol: :lol:

God that was more than a few cold miles!

Wide
11-27-2006, 05:21 PM
No snow for me

50 miles is my max for saturday riding in LA B)

I just have too many LA miles under my belt already drunks

mightywarlock
11-28-2006, 01:53 AM
Please tell me you are NOT taking them above the snow line!!! :lol: :lol:

God that was more than a few cold miles!

that is one idea...

it rained here today, so i am sure it snowed up there...

shhhh...stop giving away trade secrets!

cprteacher
11-28-2006, 07:09 AM

From my one time experience in LA riding last August, I found that you SoCal riders need several things in order to ride the LA freeway system: nerves of steel, guts of iron, a very very strong deodorant and probably 100+ mgs of Valium on board! My Hat's off to you!

cprteacher
11-28-2006, 07:14 AM
there may be 2 starting points (havent decided yet) just to accomodate those of you from the temecula area to save you a few miles from the start...but at the moment the main starting area will most likely be near the 405 and 101 intersections at the Gelson's on Van Nuys Blvd in Sherman Oaks (91403). There is a coffee shop, and gas stations to fill up again there, to warm you up after you get there in the morning.

Is there a motel/hotel nearby that qualifies for being a decent place to spend Saturday night? I'd rather ride down Saturday and be there bright and early Sunday! Thanks.

Ledhed
11-28-2006, 01:50 PM

From my one time experience in LA riding last August, I found that you SoCal riders need several things in order to ride the LA freeway system: nerves of steel, guts of iron, a very very strong deodorant and probably 100+ mgs of Valium on board! My Hat's off to you!

And sometimes a large caliber handgun could be useful! :lol:

mightywarlock
11-28-2006, 02:04 PM

Is there a motel/hotel nearby that qualifies for being a decent place to spend Saturday night? I'd rather ride down Saturday and be there bright and early Sunday! Thanks.

there is.
but the ride is on Saturday.
Jan 20th
seemed like that was when everyone wanted it to be.

cprteacher
11-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Looks like I get to ride down on Friday then. That's the beauty of being retired! I don't keep track of what day it is!

mightywarlock
11-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Looks like I get to ride down on Friday then. That's the beauty of being retired! I don't keep track of what day it is!

plenty of places to stay.
depends on where you want to stay and how much you want to spend.
if you need help with picking a place send me a pm message.

but basically the ride is going to start in Sherman Oaks, 91403. towns nearby are Van Nuys, Studio City, North Hollywood, Tazana, Reseda, etc. all just comes down to how much $$ u wanna spend.

mightywarlock
12-03-2006, 05:45 AM
For those planning to attend this Poker Run in Jan, can you please reply with your point of origin (where you will be leaving from...your home area).
I am trying to decide between 2 very different routes, and want to make it easy for some folks to be able to come to this ride, and get back home, but want to see for sure who will be coming and from where in order to make my final decision.

Thank you kindly.

oh and if you are planning on bring any prizes for others, please PM me with the info. thanks...and i am thinking of adding a little incentive for folks to bring more prizes...
Everyone gets one hand, as usual for a poker run...BUT...if you donate a prize or prizes, you will get additional scorecard hands to play.

and just a little tease...

Scoring
We will use the rules of straight five card poker to tally the score cards. No wild cards, nothing fancy. In the unlikely event that two Participants have the exact same high score hand, the tie will be broken by a
simple single card draw. High card will win the grand prize, and the second prize will go to the low card.
Hand rank, in order of highest to lowest:
Royal Flush
Straight Flush
Four of a Kind
Full House
Flush
Straight
Three of a kind
Two pair
Pair

Ledhed
12-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Some of us are coming from SW Riverside county! If anyone from this area wants to meet up and ride there with us, we can make arrangements to do so.

RCRider
12-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Coming from Cerritos. 91 and 605 intersection. I can meet up with OC folks if there are any.

Brobrian
12-05-2006, 12:17 AM
I'll be riding in from Riveside. I'd be glad to hook up with other IE riders in whatever location you all choose. Just let me know.
Thanks again for doing this. Should be fun. B)

mightywarlock
12-05-2006, 01:57 AM
thanks for replying folks, and please for those who have not answered yet, please continue to tell us where you will be coming from.

also...

please reply with a preference...

i am trying to decide on two different routes that are in two separate areas.
one will be a mountain route, (which will make it easier for those coming from riverside and temecula to get there and make it home), but will be somewhat of a colder ride, and also a much more beautiful ride.
or
a ride that might be a bit warmer, and ends up at the ocean...which means those of you coming from further away from the ocean have that much further away to get back home.

i will be doing test rides again later this month on the two routes, and if anyone wants to join in whenever i am heading out, let me know and i will try to give you some notice as to when i will be doing these rides by myself (i need to gauge mileage and how much time they will take).

keep the responses coming...its going to be a fun day next month!

Robustus
12-05-2006, 08:49 PM
We'll join in with ya Led!!!

Ledhed
12-06-2006, 02:12 PM
I'll be riding in from Riveside. I'd be glad to hook up with other IE riders in whatever location you all choose. Just let me know.
Thanks again for doing this. Should be fun. B)

Where in Riverside do you live Brobrian? I need to figure out a meeting spot. Usually we go 91/71/57/10. In which case, we can meet at the New Corona H.D. Or if you're in N Riverside, we can meet you somewhere up there and take the 10.

Brobrian
12-07-2006, 05:48 AM
I'm near downtown. Closest cross streets are MLK and Chicago. I've never been to the Corona dealer, if you'd like to meet there. When I head to LA I usually jumb on the 60/15N/10E. Make it easy on yourselves. I'll conform (sorta). B)

Ledhed
12-07-2006, 02:16 PM
I haven't been to it yet either. I think it's at serfas club, but I'm not positive of that. Someone will chime in if I'm wrong about that. Robustus has been there, so he knows.

Robustus
12-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Your right it' at Serfes Club, visable from the freeway in the same strip as an IHOP i believe.

Brobrian
12-08-2006, 01:56 AM
Sweet! Just let me know what time. It'd be cool to hook up with Stellis and the group from Temecula too. Could be a good showing from the IE. This deal isn't till Jan. 20th or something, right? Someone will have to remind me. I right stuff down , but that doesn't really help much. Hell, we don't even know where we're goin' yet, do we? LOL

mightywarlock
12-08-2006, 03:12 AM
Hell, we don't even know where we're goin' yet, do we? LOL

oh we do...

you just dont yet!

:D :P

Ledhed
12-08-2006, 02:19 PM
OK MW! Don't go rubbin' it in!!! :lol:

Ledhed
12-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Just let me know what time.

As soon as I know what time we're starting the poker run, I'll let you know!

mightywarlock
12-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Just let me know what time.

As soon as I know what time we're starting the poker run, I'll let you know!
figure between 9:30 and 10am.
depending on if there is 1 or 2 locations to start (if so, yours would be 10am, as the 1st group would ride to your location)....but there may not be 2 locations. i will determine that in a few upcoming weeks.

Ledhed
12-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Hey MW. Have you figured out the starting points yet? When you have it figured out, can you pm me with that info so I can start to plan early. I'll keep it under my hat.

Brobrian
12-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Hell, we don't even know where we're goin' yet, do we? LOL

oh we do...

you just dont yet!

:D :P

Probly just wasted on me anyway. I thought GPS stood for Gastank Posted Stickynote. I'd be happy just ridin' around setting of car alarms. B)

mightywarlock
12-11-2006, 09:09 PM
So we can begin making a head count for this ride,
please add your name to the list if you are planning on doing this poker run ride in January. oh, and if you are planning on bringing any prizes, please PM me.
thanks

1. MightyWarlock

Brobrian
12-12-2006, 12:29 AM
please add your name to the list if you are planning on doing this poker run ride in January. oh, and if you are planning on bringing any prizes, please PM me.
thanks

1. MightyWarlock
2. Brobrian

Stelis
12-12-2006, 08:02 AM
thanks

1. MightyWarlock
2. Brobrian
3. Stelis (and maybe a few other riders too)

Ledhed
12-12-2006, 01:59 PM
thanks

1. MightyWarlock
2. Brobrian
4. Mizdoe
5. Ledhed

pgrdawg
12-13-2006, 02:00 AM
thanks

1. MightyWarlock
2. Brobrian
4. Mizdoe
5. Ledhed
6. prgdawg AKA Big Dawg

Robustus
12-14-2006, 11:38 PM
thanks

1. MightyWarlock
2. Brobrian
4. Mizdoe
5. Ledhed
6. prgdawg AKA Big Dawg
7. Robustus & Meercat (most likely)

mightywarlock
12-16-2006, 10:27 PM
If there are more folks coming, please continue to sign up. and here is a little teaser of where we might be riding. not for sure yet...(check out the picture). And i am still waiting for anyone to email me about gift prizes...anyone planning on donating any prizes???

:huh:

thanks

1. MightyWarlock (+gf possibly...)
2. Brobrian
4. Mizdoe
5. Ledhed
6. prgdawg AKA Big Dawg

mizdoe
12-17-2006, 12:13 AM
If there are more folks coming, please continue to sign up. and here is a little teaser of where we might be riding. not for sure yet...(check out the picture). And i am still waiting for anyone to email me about gift prizes...anyone planning on donating any prizes???

thanks

2. Brobrian
4. Mizdoe
5. Ledhed
6. prgdawg AKA Big Dawg
8. RC Rider
9. Fun Couple

I am bringing some prizes :D

Shorty
12-24-2006, 04:20 AM
This is a good list of folks so far mighty. Youre going to have a good turn out and a great time! :D

cprteacher
12-24-2006, 04:32 AM
I know I said I'd come down on Friday for the poker run but God has other plans for me. I go in for GI surgery on Tuesday 12/26 to have an ugly part of me removed. Prognosis is good but I've been told that my riding days are curtailed until after the chemo is done.

So you SoCalers have a marvelous time and everyone else have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I'll be on a clear liquid diet for Christmas dinner but the Doc said Vodka don't count! Imagine that! Here I am trying to help out with the anesthesia! oh well!

Wide
12-24-2006, 05:51 AM
Geeze CP, I hope for the best for you

Just do like the doc says & get better ;)

mightywarlock
12-24-2006, 06:09 AM
I know I said I'd come down on Friday for the poker run but God has other plans for me. I go in for GI surgery on Tuesday 12/26 to have an ugly part of me removed. Prognosis is good but I've been told that my riding days are curtailed until after the chemo is done.

So you SoCalers have a marvelous time and everyone else have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I'll be on a clear liquid diet for Christmas dinner but the Doc said Vodka don't count! Imagine that! Here I am trying to help out with the anesthesia! oh well!

sorry to hear about your problem...and dont worry about this ride, you can always make it to the next one! good luck with the surgery.

mightywarlock
12-24-2006, 06:10 AM

thanks

2. Brobrian
4. Mizdoe
5. Ledhed
6. prgdawg AKA Big Dawg
8. RC Rider
9. Fun Couple

I am bringing some prizes :D

yay :)

mightywarlock
12-26-2006, 04:08 AM
just wondering...
how many Ultra Rider's are we going to have coming to this ride?

just wondering, as i have always wanted to try using the CB for bike to bike communication,but havent the opportunity...

Ledhed
12-26-2006, 05:44 AM
Hey CPR. Very sorry :( to hear of your condition. You'll have my prayers heading your way, for sure! ;) Good luck to ya, and we'll see ya back here soon!

Brobrian
12-26-2006, 09:14 PM
just wondering...

just wondering, as i have always wanted to try using the CB for bike to bike communication,but havent the opportunity...

I was thinkin' the same thing. I'll bring my helmet with intercom in it. I usually don't ride with that helme , but I'd like to try the CB as well. I'll have to read up on how the operate it, though. B)

mightywarlock
12-27-2006, 12:01 AM
just wondering...

I was thinkin' the same thing. I'll bring my helmet with intercom in it. I usually don't ride with that helme , but I'd like to try the CB as well. I'll have to read up on how the operate it, though. B)
yeah i dont ride with the open face helmet that often either...only have once....
the radio is very easy to use...
not much to really read up on.

Brobrian
12-27-2006, 04:16 AM
Well, we'll give it a try. Again, thanks for putting the ride together. Should be fun.
B)

mightywarlock
12-27-2006, 06:11 AM
mebbe we'll get stelis to bring his ultra and headset as well.

whattaya say stelis?

Stelis
12-27-2006, 06:31 AM
mebbe we'll get stelis to bring his ultra and headset as well.

whattaya say stelis?
Okie, dokie

mightywarlock
12-31-2006, 02:08 AM
Well folks,
I think i have things all set up.
i went riding again today to map out a 2nd route for the poker run so as to have multiple choices for where we will end up.
at a popular bike stop a friendly rider offered friendly conversation, and advice, and then actually i tagged along with him as he lead to me places i have never been...and a new route to get to where i think we will be heading to.
my advice, please dress in layers, as the temperature may change a few times, and also make sure to bring some extra money along if you have some, as if we go this route today, we could be stopping by a native american cultural center (maybe they sell stuff there), and may also be stopping by a dealership as a stop (gotta see if they have things on sale right?? and they have a discount rack to boot), and lunch money as well...
I even picked up a prize to boot...hope you all are feeling lucky...
wonderful roads lay ahead of us...it is going to be a fun ride...

drunks

Ledhed
12-31-2006, 05:12 PM
bring some extra money along if you have some

What's that????

mightywarlock
12-31-2006, 10:28 PM
i re-rode the route again today with 2mean2like, and shot some video of it as well...
will post some of the footage as soon as i check it out to see if anything came out good.

mightywarlock
12-31-2006, 10:42 PM
right now i have the ride planned for 10am departure on the 20th.
would anyone have a problem if we moved it up a tiny bit? say 9:30 departing on the ride?

the route i think we will be going on is not terribly far in miles, only about 85 miles to the destination (or around 120 miles complete round trip back to the starting point), but it seems to take a while, at least 3-4 hours of riding time and stopping time. i am hoping to be at the final destination between 1-1:30pm.

i know some of you have a long ride just to get here and back and it will be cold in the morning hours, so let's hear your opinion on the starting time.keep it at 10am, or move it to 9:30am?

Stelis
12-31-2006, 10:58 PM
would anyone have a problem if we moved it up a tiny bit? say 9:30 departing on the ride?
Where's the staging point?

mightywarlock
01-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Where's the staging point?

near the 405 and 101, Gelson's, on Van Nuys Blvd. in Sherman Oaks, zip-91403.

van nuys exit on the 101. south towards ventura blvd. its right there off the exit.

mightywarlock
01-01-2007, 09:03 PM
oh...and just in case you were wondering what you were in for....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_o7aqGJZcE

Wide
01-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Can you get me a complete recap of the ride?

How when where then we'll add it to the front page

mightywarlock
01-02-2007, 06:05 PM
will do...see next post!

mightywarlock
01-02-2007, 06:06 PM
"Saturday, January 20th, 2007, The 1st Annual HCG Poker Run will be taking place in Southern California. The meeting place, staging area, starting point, first card pick, whatever you want to call it, is at the Gelsons on Van Nuys Blvd. in Sherman Oaks, CA 91403. It is near the 405 and 101 freeway intersections, and is just south of the 101 freeway (exit Van Nuys Blvd). very easy to find and get to. Please arrive between 9:30 and 10am to pick your first card, as we WILL be leaving at 10am SHARP! There is a coffee shop there, and 3 gas stations nearby to fill up again (please have full gas tanks to start the ride with!). It may be cold, so please dress accordingly. We will be having prizes and raffles, and they will be donated by riders on this ride (so please feel free to bring some donation prizes with you if you are joining us).
The ride itself will be an 85 mile (one way) ride that takes 3+ hours to complete, travels twisty roads, country roads, past flat fields, along the coast, and very little freeway riding (and as some of you are coming from long distances away, please be comfortable with being able to ride ~300 miles a day...100 there, 85 ride, over 100 back?) with stops at 2 extremely popular motorcycle hangouts (one being a popular seafood place), a dealership (to buy more prizes and tshirts), and one stop we will actually be going to a Native American cultural learning center (we will have a very short hike to this one). This will also be just like a normal group ride, however at the designated stops we will be picking cards.
Hope to see some of you there as it will be a fantastic ride, and a fun day as well! If you need more info, check out the California Forum here, or call 818-209-1784. See you on Saturday, January 20th 2007!"

mightywarlock
01-03-2007, 04:54 AM
and in case no one noticed, the little teaser video for the ride has been updated to be much clearer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsxoF3WCIIQ

and yes,
i will be bringing the camera along to the poker run.

so be prepared to smile pretty and send a message (not with your hands please!!) to all the other folks out there!

Ledhed
01-03-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm open to what time we start. Whatever the majority decides. :D

mightywarlock
01-03-2007, 06:09 PM

just try to get there by 9:30, so you have a half hour to warm up, get some coffee etc...

i would like to leave by 10am.

playful25b
01-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Just watched the video :D
Lots of curves and for a mement there I thought WE had ran off the road! :lol:

mightywarlock
01-03-2007, 08:31 PM
JUST reposting this to see if we have picked up any new riders (i know there are more than this planning on coming who have not signed up in here)...

thanks

2. Brobrian
4. Mizdoe
5. Ledhed
6. prgdawg AKA Big Dawg
8. RC Rider
9. Fun Couple

Brobrian
01-04-2007, 01:40 AM
Led, Was it you who suggested the IE riders meet at Corona HD (Surfas Club and 91)?
That would be fine with me, say 8:30. It shouldn't take more than an hour to get to where ever it is we're meeting the others, should it?

Stelis
01-04-2007, 02:54 AM
That would be fine with me, say 8:30. It shouldn't take more than an hour to get to where ever it is we're meeting the others, should it?
Since all the riders are coming from the IE, the ride won't start until we get there!

Brobrian
01-04-2007, 04:55 AM
Since all the riders are coming from the IE, the ride won't start until we get there!
That the 'tude Stelis B)
Hear about the mileage contest for this year? This ride will not count unfortunately. The speedo reading starts 1/31, I think.

Wide
01-04-2007, 05:05 AM
Warlock

Rada & I will be there at least most of the day if not all

Have a show I need to show my face that afternoon

We may not be on a HD ^_^

mightywarlock
01-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Warlock

gonna ride something you dont have to push eh?

Ledhed
01-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Led, Was it you who suggested the IE riders meet at Corona HD (Surfas Club and 91)?

Yes! I was thinkin' more like 8:00. Give us a little time for coffee and some bullshittin' when we get there. What does everyone think?

Ledhed
01-04-2007, 01:39 PM
Warlock

gonna ride something you dont have to push eh?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brobrian
01-05-2007, 02:38 AM

Yes! I was thinkin' more like 8:00. Give us a little time for coffee and some bullshittin' when we get there. What does everyone think?

Good by me! I'll see you all at 8:00 at Corona HD! Put a note out on your bike or something so I'll know who to hook up with. Wouldn't want to ride off with the T&A Girls by mistake. B)

Ledhed
01-07-2007, 03:32 PM
I have an HCG patch on my vest and I ride a Heritage springer.

mightywarlock
01-08-2007, 06:19 AM
For those coming, if you have video camera's and have the time, and are willing to do so, can you please video tape yourselves or have someone video tape yourselves getting ready for the ride, or when you meet up with other folks, and/or some riding as well (if you have someone to hold the camera for you i suppose). this will be for a video to come later.

also, was wondering how many of you have HCG T-shirts?
I know Stelis is going to be Patching the Iron Horses, and a few of us, have our HCG patches, and i bought one of those old hcg shirts a while back, (i think i will wear that possibly for the ride....we'll see...), but does anyone have an HCG shirt here besides me? there may be a few folks from elsewhere coming along and i was just thinking it would be cool if we showed our support for our hcg ride and site, and stick out from the other people who might join the ride.

just a thought.

Ledhed
01-08-2007, 01:51 PM
We don't have any tees. Just patches on our vests.
As for videocam, we have one. We'll have to talk to mizdoe.

RCRider
01-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Ledhed,

Which way are you guys riding up to Gelsons? If you're heading towards my direction, let me know and I'll join your group. Doesn't look like anyone is coming from my area.

I'm off the 91 in Cerritos, close to the 5, 605, 91, 105 freeways.

Ledhed
01-09-2007, 01:21 PM
It was my intention to ride up 91- 71- 57- 10- 101. But we can rearrange the route that we're taking to accomodate. I'll pm you with my phone #.

mightywarlock
01-09-2007, 02:13 PM
It was my intention to ride up 91- 71- 57- 10- 101. But we can rearrange the route that we're taking to accomodate. I'll pm you with my phone #.

just a side note...but if you were going to be heading up the 57 anyway,
taking it to the 210 would most likely be an easier ride. this way you dont have to ride "Through the city" and its only 5 minutes further north.

91-71-57-210-straight to the 134-straight to the 101.

Robustus
01-10-2007, 10:44 PM
So Led it's 8am at Corona HD?

Ledhed
01-11-2007, 05:30 AM
I think that's going to be it, 8:00 am. Corona H.D.
I Need a final head count, and where everyone is so I can plan all that out.

tradrockrat
01-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I hope you all have a blast - wish I could make it... :(

RCRider
01-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Looks like the IE group is coming by to my area to get me.

If anyone is interested, I'll be at the Starbucks in Buena Park, in front of Movieland Wax Museum. This place is very bike friendly and it's typical to see bikes there on any weekend morning starting at 6:00a. Us N. OC riders meet there every Sat. / Sun.

7711 Beach Blvd
Buena Park, CA 90620

Ledhed
01-12-2007, 01:37 PM
If anyone is interested, I'll be at the Starbucks in Buena Park
If all goes as planned, we should get there around 8:30a. It'll have to be a quick stop if we're going to get to Sherman Oaks on time.

mightywarlock
01-12-2007, 02:15 PM
just took a look at weather.com and according to their 10 day forecast, sat. jan. 20th (the day of this ride) should be Sunny, and 68 degrees.

gonna be great weather for our ride!

RCRider
01-14-2007, 02:44 PM
MWL -

Can you add 4 more riders to the group. Looks like three of my friends will be joining us as well as another HCGer that PM'd me to meet up.

- RCRIDER +3
- COLUMBIANO

Thanks!

mightywarlock
01-14-2007, 03:57 PM
MWL -

Can you add 4 more riders to the group. Looks like three of my friends will be joining us as well as another HCGer that PM'd me to meet up.

- RCRIDER +3
- COLUMBIANO

Thanks!

cool.

i think we are going to have a nice turnout for this ride.
(dont forget to tell them about the prizes and such being rider donated, but not required to join the ride, just would be nice.)

Ledhed
01-14-2007, 04:37 PM
MWL -

- RCRIDER +3
- COLUMBIANO

Thanks! Way B)

Ledhed
01-14-2007, 04:45 PM
I sure hope it warms up for next week. It was 16 degrees here this mornin'. That might scare people and affect the turnout! It don't matter to me none! I'll still show up! :D

Ledhed
01-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Only 4 days away! :D

Shorty
01-16-2007, 04:04 PM
So how many folks you got lined up for this event? I hope you have a huge turn out. Have fun everyone, and ride safe!

CMonster
01-18-2007, 07:41 AM
ahh crap... I'm gonna be working on the house in Arizona this weekend - really bites cause I am like normally 5 minutes away from the starting point and it would be my first ride with you guys and my first on my new Harley --oh well have to wait till next time

mightywarlock
01-18-2007, 02:12 PM
It's Almost Time...

Ledhed
01-19-2007, 03:36 AM
ahh crap... I'm gonna be working on the house in Arizona this weekend - really bites cause I am like normally 5 minutes away from the starting point and it would be my first ride with you guys and my first on my new Harley --oh well have to wait till next time

Welcome to HCG CMonster. Yeah too bad you'll miss this. But for sure we'll catch up on the next. Knowing Mighty, It wont be too long before he whips up another twisty ride.

Shorty
01-19-2007, 04:33 AM
Do you have a list of how many are going yet? Have a great time everyone.

mightywarlock
01-19-2007, 04:49 AM

Welcome to HCG CMonster. Yeah too bad you'll miss this. But for sure we'll catch up on the next. Knowing Mighty, It wont be too long before he whips up another twisty ride.

i'm already thinking of the next one...which will be another totally different ride, outside of this area where i usually hold the rides...
and dont forget when the weather gets warmer, we have a 2 day campout ride to finish...

but for the moment, it might be chilly on saturday morning, but the rest of the day should be quite nice!

mightywarlock
01-19-2007, 02:32 PM
if anyone needs to Mapquest the address to get to the Poker Run, which is TOMORROW...

here is the address of the Gelsons we are meeting at....

4520 Van Nuys Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

if there are any problems or last minute questions, you can give me a call at 818-209-1784.

See ya folks tomorrow!

Ledhed
01-20-2007, 02:06 PM
Just heard from RCRider. He's having mechanical difficulties and wont be there.
So we'll probably take the quicker route over the 210 fwy. see everyone in the mornin'.

mightywarlock
01-20-2007, 03:02 PM
since the powers that be got tired and didnt finish and give us back our PM back, if you need to send me any messages regarding the ride in the morning, just post here, and i will check it later, and in the morning, or email mightywarlock@yahoo.com

oh, and for those coming, keep an eye out for the movie stars on the WCC bike tomorrow.

gonna have special guests joining us for the ride.

TexasRed
01-20-2007, 08:48 PM
MW .. ya'll have a great time & a safe ride !! Will be anxiously awaiting your ride report & pix :D

mightywarlock
01-21-2007, 08:31 AM
it's 4:30 and just got home from the Poker Run. thanks to those who came out in support of the ride.
i am sure it will be quite a bit later when most of the other folks get home.
hope you all enjoyed the ride, and had a safe ride back home.

and get this...for all the video stuff i have been pushing around here, i forgot to even turn my camera on!

ahh well. next time...at least we had a few other folks with their cameras...and i am sure we will see pictures as soon as you folks get home...
;)

Wide
01-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Nice, out having fun while were workign groucho

Stelis
01-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Photos from today's ride.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87468207@N00/sets/72157594490972623/

This turned out to be a really fun ride. Rich picked out a great route. Temperature in that area is about 5 degrees warmer than out here in the IE. I was riding with just a shirt and vest during the afternoon.

Got back home (Menifee) about 6:05 pm.

Went back home via I-10, to 71, to 91, to I-15. Tons of traffic. Lane splitted on and off about half the way home.

Ledhed
01-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Mizdoe and I are home. Got in about 6:00. Had a great time and a great ride. right about 300 miles for the day. Thanx all for comin' out to ride in the cold.

Nice, out having fun while were workign
Did youexpect anything less!!! :DDDDDDDD

Hey guys! Mizdoe found that those little hand warmers are good boobs warmers, too! :DDDDDDDD

mightywarlock
01-21-2007, 11:16 AM
hey i just checked the tape you guys gave me...

it had a whole 1 minute of footage from todays ride on it.

heh

TexasRed
01-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Great photos Stelis! Looks like it was a great turnout!

Brobrian
01-22-2007, 11:48 AM
it's 4:30 and just got home from the Poker Run. thanks to those who came out in support of the ride.

and get this...for all the video stuff i have been pushing around here, i forgot to even turn my camera on!

ahh well. next time...at least we had a few other folks with their cameras...and i am sure we will see pictures as soon as you folks get home...
;)

Good ride, thanks. Nice to meet more folks.
Got to our dinner engagement and all the guys were askin' where we went. I just said, "I don't have the faintest idea." :huh:

mightywarlock
01-22-2007, 11:55 AM

;)

Got to our dinner engagement and all the guys were askin' where we went. I just said, "I don't have the faintest idea." :huh:

oh come now.
You went to:
The Rock Store.
Ventura Harley Davidson
Neptunes Net
and dont forget your hike to the Indian Cultural place.
and you spent a lot of the day on Mullholland.
and dont forget your long ride back on the Pacific Coast Highway.

now you know where you went.

pgrdawg
01-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Some pics from the ride.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557144161gloSbL

Brobrian
01-22-2007, 12:25 PM

;)

oh come now.
You went to:
The Rock Store.
Ventura Harley Davidson
Neptunes Net
and dont forget your hike to the Indian Cultural place.
and you spent a lot of the day on Mullholland.
and dont forget your long ride back on the Pacific Coast Highway.

now you know where you went.

No, I know all that. They were asking me where these place are. The only one I could get to again is Neptunes. I have no idea which freeways I took or what streets we rode along.
Its okay, though. I was blissfully lost and just cruising all day. Jazda)):

Brobrian
01-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Some pics from the ride.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557144161gloSbL

Cool, Thanks Dawg.

Midnight and I had a great speed run on the way home. Gotta love ridin with a guy who's willing to split lanes through the badlands in a 40mph cross wind. My kinda ridin'

Catch ya on the next run. Jazda)):