PDA

View Full Version : starter

TnCobra
11-20-2006, 10:10 PM
I need a high compression starter for a 96 Softtail, anybody got one to sell?

Horse
11-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Can't help with the starter but have you considered "compression relief" ?

TnCobra
11-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Its for my brother, Im not sure if he has considered it or not, but I will ask, I hadnt even thought of that, thanks.

junior
11-20-2006, 10:30 PM
just curious- why you after another starter? kickback/kickout? no crank? might be something as simple as a timing adjustment, loose cable, or poor battery (usually a battery).....

if you go from a 1.4/1.6kW starter to a 2.0kW, you will need to also upgrade the cables....

j

TnCobra
11-20-2006, 10:34 PM
He (my Brother) bought the bike with a bad starter and has been jumping the solenoid to ride, I guess hes ready to fix it right so I will get off his ass, lol. :P

junior
11-20-2006, 10:39 PM
if he's jumping the solenoid....he needs to start at the beginning before just putting a starter. make sure that there's 12V at the purple wire on the solenoid with the button down, and so on....

j

TnCobra
11-20-2006, 10:43 PM
He has his mechanic check it over for him, hes the one who said it was the starter. I thought he might have just been trying to sell a starter, but he didnt have one to sell so I took him at his word. J&P has the one we need but the damn thing is $560.00, and he dont have it to spare right now, so I thought I might see if I could find one cheaper on here.

junior
11-20-2006, 10:51 PM
ok...

if the bike starts when he jumps the solenoid, the starter is fine, but the low tension circuit (solenoid/relay/switches) is bad. if he needs to physically jump the actual starter itself, then it can be a starter, battery or cables.

i guess what i'm saying is that starter assemblies ain't cheap, and changing one is a pain...just wanting to make sure what he does solves his priblem.....

j

IamVince
11-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Down here we have start/alt. shops that rebuild them for 100.00.Dropped mine off and when I picked it up he thought it was off some boat moter.Point is brush's and contact's all the know dont matter what its off of.