Rice Pilaf

INGREDIENTS:

Uncle Ben's Long grain white rice
Chicken Bouillon cubes
Onion
Butter
Water
Bay Leaf

Take 1 cup of rice and rinse it under cold water for a couple of minutes in a strainer, place into a pot add some fine chopped onion, 2 bouillon cubes, and a table spoon of butter place on med. heat and stir till rice just starts to turn clear in color, now add 2 cups of water and 2 Bay Leaves bring to boil, remove from heat cover and place in pre-heated oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Bay leaves will float to top. when done. Now lay out on a sheet of foil and spread it out a little, season with season all or just salt and pepper and serve. Left overs can also be microwaved to re-heat

wreckerman
08-19-2004, 01:34 AM
Mikey
Biker

Posted: 08-18-04 Post subject: Apple Cole Slaw

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thrilled to see this forum...cooking rules!

This cole slaw is da bomb!

Apple Coleslaw

Poppy Seed Honey Dressing:
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup poppy seeds
1/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 medium cabbage, cored, finely shredded
2 large carrots, peeled, julienne
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup finely minced parsley leaves, optional
4 Fuji or Gala apples, peeled, cored, julienned

Prepare the Poppy Seed Dressing. In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients together until well blended. Set aside.

Prepare the salad. In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, scallions, parsley, and apples. Pour in the reserved dressing and toss until well blended. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving, mixing the salad at least once to evenly distribute the dressing

wreckerman
08-19-2004, 02:04 AM
BlackKnight
Biker

Posted: 08-16-04 Post subject: Re: I win the first post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK fellas, This is how much I love you guys. I am giving you the Santos special.

Seeded long roll
Eggplant
Tomato sauce
Grated cheese

Onions (julienne)
Lettuce
Oil & Vinegar
Basil
Salt & Pepper

Cold Cuts (Boars Head if possible)

Provolone
Boiled Ham
Genoa Salami

Start by making a tomato sauce (store bought if you want but it won't be as good). Start with a med. saucepan and cover the bottom with olive oil. Heat and add chopped garlic (1 clove), simmer for a few minutes and add a can of good tomato sauce. Add basil, s&p and a pinch of sugar, Simmer for 30 minutes until cooked. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Slice eggplant very thin and disgard the seedy (big) slices. Use an egg wash and italian bread crumbs and fry eggplant and set aside. Place eggplant in flatpan for oven and layer. Place sauce and grated cheese on each layer and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool.

Now for the best g hero you'll ever have!

Onions and shredded lettuce in a bowl and add oliveoil, squeese of lemon, basil and S&P. Mix well.

Slice that puppy of a roll and place flat.

Add the following:

Ham
Salami
Provolone
Couple of slices of eggplant
Top with lettuce dressing.

You will be hooked for life!

Enjoy!

juicy
08-19-2004, 10:22 PM
OK I'm going to try my hand at this........

Double Baked Potatoes

First bake potatoes as normal when done slice in 1/2 length wise.
Scoop out the potatoe being careful not to break the skin (leave a small amout in)
In a bowl mash the potatoes with sour cream, butter, and chives
Now put bake into the potatoe shells place on a cookie sheet sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and bacon bits.
Heat till cheese is melted.

wreckerman
09-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Bigshovel, if my translation from my German friend was correct he called it Spatzle. This ones for you.

SPATZLE:
more commonly known as German Egg Dumplings. that go great with goulash or stew and also great with a piece of roasted veal. Substitue milk for water will produce a richer denser dumpling. They are also delicous when pan fried in butter.

Ingredients;
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon of salt
a big pinch of ground nutmeg
2 large eggs
1/2 cup of milk or water

Beat eggs and milk or water together and set aside, in large mixing bowl put all your dry ingredients then add in your liquid, beat well with a wooden spoon to create a elastic batter, bring to a simmer in a large sauce pan 6 cups of salted water or chicken stock, drop small bits of the batter from a spoon into the bubbling liquid or using a colander to produce strands of dough that will puff into irregular shapes they are done when they float to the surface. Pull out of the liquid and set in bowl using slotted spoon .

wreckerman
09-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Here's another version of spatzles that I used in the resturant business

Bisquick
Eggs
Milk

take mixing bowl, put a few cups of bisquick, in pinch of salt, add 2 eggs and work in to make a paste dough, now start adding milk, and continue mixing untill you have a thick doughy consistancy set aside. Take a large pot with water 1/2 way filled add a couple of chicken boullion cubes and bring to boil. I use a large hole colander place it over the boiling pan and push the doughy mixture through the holes alittle at a time, then put colander to the side and as these droplets float to the top pull them out using a slotted spoon and place in bowl, I like to take a light mixture, of garlic butter and stir it into the hot dumplings. Can be served this way or the whole mess can be thrown into a frying pan and browned slightly for color.

Bigshovel
09-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Good one wrecker, I think the second is the closest to way I had it over there. They fried it in a pan with mozzarella and I could eat tons of it. Thanks.

wreckerman
09-06-2004, 11:55 PM
glad i could help B)

Hotshotrucking
02-22-2005, 04:08 PM
B) GREEN BEANS, slice up 4 to 6 strips of salty bacon cook up in large pot till crispy done ( don't burn), then add 24 to 36oz frozen cut green bean, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup diced onions, 2 or 3 cubed potatoes, salt to your like, stir up, cover over med. heat till done. Now thats DOWN HOME GOOD!

wreckerman
02-22-2005, 11:26 PM
i have had that before , and it was great , my buddys mom makes it so good

Yarddog313
02-26-2005, 04:14 AM
Lemon Potatoes
peel and quarter potatoes(about 1 potato a serving)
deep fry untill golden brown
put in a deep baking dish or lasagna pan
add juice from lemon(1 lemon/serving)
in a seperate bowl dilute chicken bullion(1cube/2 servings)
add water/bullion mix to potatoes
add water to just the tip of potatoes are sticking out
sprinkle black pepper and oregano in water
bake at 350 for 2 hours

Calli
10-14-2005, 01:38 AM
Mandarin Orange Salad

Mix together:

1/2 c olive oil
1 tsp dry mustard
1-2 green onions, chopped
1/2 c brown sugar
1/8-1/4 c apple cider vinegar

Toss over any kind of mixed lettuce; red leaf, green romaine or butter.

Add:

1/2-1 c slivered or sliced almonds
1 small can of mandarin oranges.

Serve with~

Sugar Biscuits

4 c flour
8 tsp bk powder
1 tsp salt
1 c sugar ( either kind)
1 c butter
2 c milk
1-2 c grated cheese ( any kind )
1 c raisins ( opt)

Combine dry together
Cut in butter til coarse crumbs
Add cheese (& raisins)
Add milk & stir until just combined.
Spoon onto cookie sheet & bake at 425F about 10 minutes, or til golden.

Calli
11-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Turkey Salad for leftovers

INGREDIENTS
1 cup cooked, cubed turkey meat
2 celery, chopped
2 tart apples, cored and cubed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon prepared Dijon-style mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, combine the turkey, celery, apples and walnuts.
Prepare the dressing in a small bowl by whisking together the sour cream, mayonnaise, parsley, lemon juice, honey, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over turkey mixture and toss to evenly coat. Refrigerate until chiled.

Sean
05-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Just another way to do green beans...

fry 1/2 pound of sliced bacon cut into 3/4 to 1 inch pieces.
when it is about 80% done, drain and add 1/2 cup diced yellow onion and chopped garlic (add garlic to your taste, I use 4-5 good size lobes off the bulb) finish cooking bacon until crispy.

Add 1 can Italian Style stewed tomatoes.
Add 1 tsp fresh oregano
bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes

add two cans drained green beans (julienne or french cut)

stir once in awhile and simmer until ready to serve

weenie
05-29-2006, 12:06 PM
Easy Hashbrown Bake

1 package frozen hashbrown squares
1 pint heavy whipping cream
4 cups of grated cheese (your choice of cheese)

1 13 x 9 inch pan

layer your hasbrowns on the bottom of the pan, salt, pepper and garlic powder (to your own tastes). Pour pint of heavy whipping cream over the hashbrowns and top with cheese.

Bake at 350 for one hour

It's easy and it's goooooooood stuff!

weenie
05-30-2006, 02:41 AM
Marinated Asparagus

1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus (I like the skinny pieces)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons canola oil

fill a large fying pan with 2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Plunge the asparagus into the water and remove after 1 minute. Drain immediately and pat dry. Place in a 13 x 9 inch pan or casserole dish.

combine the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and oil, whisk well. Pour over the asparagus. Chill for atleast 8 hours.

HINT: After I remove the asparagus from the frying pan, I put it directly into a pan of ice cold water, this will keep it crisp.

weenie
05-30-2006, 02:45 AM
Candied Carrots

8 large carrots (I like to slice these up)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1 tsp of cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter
1 large cooking apple, peeled and sliced (I use granny smith and slice real thinly)

Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 1 quart casserole dish. Boil carrots in salted water, cook until tender; then drain (cooking time is about 20 minutes)

Combine sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon. Alternate layers of carrots and apple in casserole. sprinkle sugar mixture over layers. Dot the top of the casserole with the butter. Bake 45 minutes.

Calli
08-26-2006, 05:37 AM
Sour Cream potato salad

Baby new potatoes, boiled, cold & cut into chunks
Chives or green onions, chopped thinly
new tomatoes, cut into chunks
1/2 lb bacon, sliced into chunks & fast-fried til crunchy
sour cream
mayo
s & p

Combine in large bowl.. using more sour cream than mayo, til 'goopy' or to taste.. let chill for about an hour before serving...

Lowbob
08-26-2006, 06:28 AM
Cajun Scalloped Potatoes

This is one of my favorites. I just tossed it together one time and don't have any amounts, so just fake it. You can't go wrong.

In a buttered 8 x 10 baking dish, spread a single layer of 1/8" - 1/4" sliced potatoes. Sprinkle with:
Paul Prudhomme's Vegetable Magic (can substitute your favorite cajun seasoning here, but I highly recommend getting the Veg Magic)
Parmesan Cheese
Salt (don't over-do it or you'll be thirsty for a month)

Keep doing layers like this until the baking dish is full. Top with grated yellow cheese and a few dabs of butter. Pour about 1/4 cup of heavy cream over the whole thing.

Bake at 350° until the liquid bubbles at the sides of the dish. I like to use a clear pyrex dish so I can see the bubbles without pulling the thing out.
If you can't find Paul Prudhomme's Vegetable Magic seasoning, go here (http://shop.chefpaul.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=94).

Hugger_Lady
10-21-2006, 12:57 AM
Cornbread Casserole

1 pkg of Jiffy cornbread mix (must be Jiffy brand)
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup butter
1 can corn ~ Do not drain
1 can cream corn

Mix all and place into a ungreased 9X13 glass dish.
Bake @ 350 for 35 minutes then top with shredded Swiss cheese.
Bake 10 more minutes.