View Full Version : Soups & Sauces

wreckerman
08-19-2004, 01:12 AM
Please post your favorite Soup or Sauce recipe here only

wreckerman
08-19-2004, 02:08 AM
wreckerman

Posted: 08-16-04 Post subject: Re: I win the first post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Garlic salad dressing with a twist:

Most garlic dressing that you buy have to much bite to them, so an easy way to remady that is to mix your favorite salad dressing with mayo about a 70% to 30% mix 30 being the mayo add in a few large spoons of sugar mix till creamy and your done.

OOOOOOOOO IT"S SO GOOD!!!

wreckerman
08-19-2004, 02:17 AM
Joker
Biker

Posted: 08-16-04 Post subject: Well then I ll help too, Anyone like Jack Daniels?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack Daniel's Marinade
1/4 cup Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard
1/4 cup minced green onions and tops
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients. Blend well. Use to marinate shrimp or scallops for 1 hour or beef, chicken, or pork in the refrigerator overnight. Use to baste the shellfish or meat as it is grilled or broiled. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.
Joker
to skid in sideways,totally worn out,
shouting
"...holy shit...what a ride!"

wreckerman
08-19-2004, 02:18 AM
Dr.Bob
Biker

Posted: 08-17-04 Post subject: Re: Well then I ll help too, Anyone like Jack Daniels?

Wow that sounds like it could be really good joker. I am a real seafood fan and I really must try this.
It kind of reminds me of the sweet chilli sauce that I am experimenting with that goes so well with calamari. I would appreciate any improvements to my simple recipe as I know there must be loads of versions of this out there in the states.

Quantities are variable (= I make it up as I go along) and depend on your tastes.

garlic
olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
dried or fresh chillies
sugar
lemon or lime juice

Chuck the whole lot into a blender and give it a bloody good whizz. Dip the calamari into the sauce and devour whole, chase down with ice cold lager.

tradrockrat
08-20-2004, 08:12 AM
Turn your favorite pasta sauce into a seafood linguine

A few table spoons of extra V olive oil
3 cloves of crushed garlic
12 jumbo shrimp
1/2 pound small scallops
12 mussels
12 little neck clams
1/2 cup dry WHITE wine (my secret -- use a very dry white)
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
salt / peper to taste
3 cups best sauce you know of.

1 - put the oil in a pan (medium / low) and brown the garlic - 5 min.
2- add shrimp - 1 min
3 - add scallops - 2 min
4 - add mussels, clams, white wine, pepper, and three cups sauce
5 - turn up heat to med / high and bring to boil
6 - reduce heat and cover
7 - check to make sure all shells have opened after about five min.
**** don't keep unopened shellfish (for all you land lubbers!)*****
8 - season with salt and pepper to taste
9 - add to linguine with ladle

Enjoy!! It's an awsome recipe, based loosely on my grandmothers.

wreckerman
08-21-2004, 12:27 AM
One thing I learned in cooking in resturants is that most cooks tend to either over season or under season their food so years ago I made up my own spice much on the line of Accent only in this case it brings up a little more flavor and has peperika in it which helps to bring up the color in food. This is strickly for cooking and not to be placed on the table.

Ingredients:

Salt
Seasoning salt
White Pepper
Peperika

In a container doesn't matter what size you use, add the above ingredients in these proportion. White pepper 15%, Peperika 15%, Seasoning salt 35%, Salt 35%
Mix well and expeiment with its uses

wreckerman
08-21-2004, 12:47 AM
Thicking that Soup or Sauce

One of the most common questions that I get asked is how to thicken up gravy or soups what have you. There are several different methods depending on what your cooking and what type of finish you want.

Method 1- if you are making something like a Beef Stew and you have all your vegtables cut up and our sauteing them in a pan after you finish sauteing them in oil or margine what ever you use, remove it from the heat sprinkle flour while stiring till you have a thick paste of vegtables, flour and oils cover and allow to sit for at least 5 minutes then add your hot liquid while bring it to a boil and stirring till you get the thickness you want make it a little thinner then what you truely want as this comes to a boil it usually thickens a little more and you can add more hot liquid to adjust it to your finish product. THis is also referred to as pan gravy.

Method 2 - Flour and oil rue Start with a 1/2 a cup of oil and stir in flour till you have a thick mixture you want it smooth and thick consistancy not to runny not to thick like paste. Pour this into your hot liquid stirring briskly as you pour allow to boil for at least 5 minutes and adjust more if needed.

Method 3 - Corn Starch and water This is used for glazes, and light gravys take 1/2 cup of water and using your finger to mix this add cornstarch you will feel it thicken up and you will also will feel when you have it throughly mixed. add this slowly to any hot liquid and watch it thicken quickly.

Side Note- all of these methods are good for thickening liquids, I would like to warn you though that you might want to experiment with boiling water first to get the knack down pat also under thicken and allow it to come back up to a boil before you finish off the thickness and as always kitchen bouquet can be added to enhance the color of your dark sauces.

jazda
08-21-2004, 01:27 AM
I often use cornstarch an water,,,, just my preference to use with anything I want to thicken...
B)

Wide
08-21-2004, 03:08 AM
I see a poor lack of hot peppers in these reciepes :D

Being a chili head heat goes everywhere groucho

wreckerman
08-21-2004, 03:48 AM
Hot Chili

Ingredients:
Canned whole Tomatoes
V-8 Cocktail juice
Tomatoe juice
Ground chuck
Yellow onions
Green Peppers (bell)
Red Peppers (bell)
Juilapino pepper
Citro peppers
Brooks red chili kidney beans (hot)
Cracker Barrels Crushed dried peppers
McCormicks chili seasoning
Chili powder

Before I start I would like to tell you on the peppers that I usually grab as many different varities that I can find in the supermarket don't really know all there names but the more the marrier.

Cut all peppers and onions into bite size pieces
Take large stock pot and put ground chuck in bottom brown up the meat and add all the chopped pepper and onions drain the whole tomatoes and save juice dice these up into bite size pieces and add these pieces to the stock pot cooking on medium heat stiring occasionaly until tender add kidney beans, mccormicks chili seasoning, a can of v-8, and a can of tomatoe juice, add juice from whole tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add chili powder to taste, add dried crush peppers to taste and simmer make sure that you keep stirring occasionaly should cook for at least 2 hours
Serve in bowls with raw onions diced, and Krafts shredded taco cheese. I do not give you measurements because most of my recipes are for 5 gallons plus so you have to use a little common sense.

Joker
08-22-2004, 07:25 AM
Ok heres one more.
Outback Steakhouse Tiger Dill Sauce
This is the great stuff they serve with your steak.

Ingredients:
2/3 C. Sour Cream
1/4 C. Mayonnaise
3 tsp. Prepared Horseradish
3/4 tsp. Sugar
1/4 tsp Dill Weed

Preparation:
Blend all together and serve with any beef dish. This is better if let to set overnight.
Joker

Joker
10-11-2004, 07:01 AM
Wrecker
Is this the Chili recipie that we had this past weekend? It was awesome!
Joker

wreckerman
10-11-2004, 02:03 PM
joker i have not put up the chili recipe for the toy run chile . it is kind of a house special and it changes from time to time a little , kind of like the apple pie shots , but i am glad you enjoyed it, i had a little left so i am going to post it for wide , so at least he can say he tryed it :lol:

dannytheman
09-08-2005, 08:51 PM
You and I cook our chili very close to the same. I do add corn(sometimes string beans to) but I buy, cook and dice up Hot Italion Sausage and add it to the pot.

I also add Korean Red Chili Peppers. Like to have the eyebrows sweatin'

The weather starting to get cooler, I think you have inspired me to make some Chili..

BaltoHarleyHon
09-16-2006, 02:54 AM
:wub: This is a really good use for your bumper crop of summer squash...

SUMMER SQUASH SOUP

1 lb. summer squash, unpeeled
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
1 leek, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
5 sprigs fresh parlsey, chopped
3 cups chicken stock or chicken broth
1/4 cup light cream

Scrub squash, cut into small pieces and place in large saucepan. Add onion, celery, leek, parsley, chicken broth/stock, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer uncovered for about 40 minutes. When done pour - in small batches - into a blender and puree. Return each batch of puree to saucepan and then add cream. Stir over low heat until heated throughout, but do not boil. Serves 4.

squirrel71477
11-14-2006, 02:22 AM
My Mom's own homemade recipe for spinach salad!

Sally's Spinach Salad Dressing

2/3 Cup Oil ---(can subs. 4-5 Tbsp Canola Oil & enough H2O to make 2/3 C.)
1/4 Cup Vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. garlc powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. tumeric
2 tsp. Paprika
1 Garlic Clove crushed

Mix together and chill.
Serve over spinach leaves, sliced boiled eggs, tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, bacon bits (or pieces), and croutons.

I have had this many times and it is awesome, especially if you get tired of "regular" salads!

Enjoy!! ;)

wreckerman
01-18-2007, 07:03 PM
just made some bean soup with hot dogs and some veg man is it great

akacarl
03-23-2007, 02:17 AM
Easy Hollandaise Sauce

A lot of people don't make their own Hollandaise because they think it's too difficult. But here's a recipe that's easy if you follow the directions.

4 egg yolks
1 stick of butter
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

An easy way to separate the egg yolks is to crack the egg then dump it in the palm of one hand, and let the whites drip off between your fingers as you pass the egg back and forth between your hands. It feels gross, but it's very easy to do. Put the egg yolks in a bowl and set aside until the recipe calls for them to be added.

Measure out the lemon juice and water and put into another small bowl. And also measure out the cayenne into a small bowl. This gets everything ready for when you need to dump them into the sauce pan.

Over low heat -- I repeat, low heat -- melt the butter in a small sauce pan. Dump the egg yolks into the pan, then with a wire whisk break them up and blend into the butter. Stirring the mixture constantly with the whisk, add the lemon juice, water, and cayenne. Continue to stir constantly until the mixture begins to solidify, probably about 4-5 minutes, until it's almost the consistency of creamy mayonnaise.

Remove from heat and either put it on what you want to put it on right away (like steamed vegetables or poached eggs), or put it in a bowl and let everybody serve themselves.

If the sauce turned into scrambled eggs, the heat was too high. And if it took more than 4-5 minutes to solidify, the heat was too low. The secret is getting the heat just right.

baggercheezhead
09-12-2007, 06:57 PM
here are a couple of chili recipes i've kept ,modified ,and enjoyed over the years! just click on the document tab of each recipe to open and view. enjoy bagger