PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on a Harley.

gtexas
12-13-2004, 01:21 AM
I posted before about getting a bike for the first time in years. Anyone have any thought on what to get? Any years to stay away from? Shovel? Evo?
Road King?
Heritage softail?

I am pretty good with a wrench but new to bikes.

I would like a bike that would easily take a 300 mile ride.

Please talk me out of buying a Metric! I saw a Road Star Silverado for good price that doest have a scratch on it. I know this is the Harley chat group but that bike looks like a hell of a bargain.

TexasFatBoy
12-13-2004, 01:28 AM
If you're buying the metric used, it may be a good deal, but does it have the soul of a harley? No. I recommend you go out and rent yourself a harley just for an afternoon. If you do that and are still undecided, then buy the metric. If you ride the harley for a day and can imagine riding nothing else, than start looking. Any harley can go an easy 300 miles in a day (in fact, for many here, we're just getting started at 300.

Here's a great article on model comparison:

http://www.harleychatgroup.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12

wreckerman
12-13-2004, 02:16 AM
tfb has you covered i just wanted to welcome you to the forums , feel free to look around and read some of the articals we have ask any question that you may have ...we are here to help

gtexas
12-13-2004, 02:25 AM
Where can I rent a Harley in the Dallas area?
What does it cost to rent one for a weekend?

TexasFatBoy
12-13-2004, 02:29 AM
check first with a couple local dealers - most of them rent. Here in Austin it's about $95 per day for Sportsters and $125-$145 per day for everything else. Although some dealers will give you credit for the rentals against a new bike purchase. If you want to find MSRP pricing, however, I recommend you run down to College Station and visit Russ Welch H-D. Very fair and MSRP pricing.

Another option for rentals is http://www.eaglerider.com

HoustonFatboy
12-13-2004, 02:58 AM
everyday i ride, and i pull to a stop, and see other bikes/metrics, i know what those guys are thinking. i should have bought a harley. the sound alone is enough. everyone knows the sound of a harley from inside their houses/offices/cars.

wreckerman
12-13-2004, 03:00 AM
even my dog can tell the difference, between a harley and a metric from up to 2 blocks away.

OldSalt
12-13-2004, 03:48 AM
I posted before about getting a bike for the first time in years. Anyone have any thought on what to get? Any years to stay away from? Shovel? Evo?
Road King?
Heritage softail?

I am pretty good with a wrench but new to bikes.

I would like a bike that would easily take a 300 mile ride.

Please talk me out of buying a Metric! I saw a Road Star Silverado for good price that doest have a scratch on it. I know this is the Harley chat group but that bike looks like a hell of a bargain.

The metrics are nice looking bikes. Some almost look like Harleys. However, anyone that knows motorcycles can quickly tell the difference between a metric and a Harley a 100 yards away. It comes down to what you want. Do you want a bike that looks like a Harley or do you want a Harley? It is all a matter of preference.

A similar comparison is like the difference between owning a Rolls Royce or a Mustang. A Mustang is a lot less expensive and a lot faster than a Rolls. A Cadillac is a more luxurious and comftorable ride than a Rolls Royce and much less expensive too. However, it ain't a Rolls Royce and for those who want a Rolls Royce nothing else will do. Same thing for watches. A Seiko will tell time just as well as a Rolex. You can buy 20 or more Seikos for the price of a Rolex. Some Seikos even look like Rolexs, but thet ain't Rolexs and anybody that knows their watches will spot it immediately.

Same with other brands of motorcycles. If what you really want is to own a Harley then nothing else will do. If you can settle for something else that cost less or has some features that Harley does not then I say go for it.

HoustonFatboy
12-13-2004, 04:09 AM
aww, it's music to my, and your dog's, ears!!

even my dog can tell the difference, between a harley and a metric from up to 2 blocks away.

CurryBob
12-15-2004, 11:03 AM
gtexas

I know the Harley's are like buying a car but you have to decide how much you plan to ride and how they hold their value.

My father-in-law has the 05 Yamaha Silverado (1700cc). It is a nice bike but it is like it has no sole and is just a machine. It has a lot of the Harley look and is even belt drive. He rides with me a lot and really wanted a Harley but felt he couldn't justify that much money for a bike. He would make you a good deal on an 05 Yamaha Silverado with only 2500 miles if your interested. He wants a Road King so bad it hurts. Every time we go to the Harley dealer and he looks at the bikes he just kicks himself. I guess it doesn't help that he is around mine so much. :wacko:

Glade I'm on a Harley

Bob

NY90
12-15-2004, 11:14 AM
gtex, If new is what you want, I am no expert.
If used is in the cards then I can Say and quote some famous riders that the Evo fxr is one of the best frames ever built for long distance riding.
I get off the bike after 100 plus mile and no stiff back like with other rides.
She cruises easily at 70-80 mph. I only wish I had a sixth gear.
Other than that....Just buy Harley.

Swyney
12-15-2004, 11:42 AM

:D Thats true my dog that passed in the summer would start barking when he heard a Harley, but a jap bike he wouldn't even notice....

His name was harley...

NY90
12-15-2004, 12:32 PM

:D Thats true my dog that passed in the summer would start barking when he heard a Harley, but a jap bike he wouldn't even notice....

His name was harley...

R.I.P

Swyney
12-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Thanx 90, we have a new pup 4 months old, what a handfull right now

CharlieZ_1954
12-18-2004, 11:15 AM
I presently have a 2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 with 34,000 miles. I have been to Bike Week in Daytona twice and Sturgis this past summer. My Honda is a good dependable bike, but it is not a Harley. I will be buying a Road King within the next 30 days. I have have been to 7 dealers in the last month just looking. You can get one for MSRP if you are patient and willing to drive a little. You do need to rent one for a day. Read this forum as well as others on Harley's. You will learn a lot.

http://groups.msn.com/harleytechtalk/general.msnw