PDA

View Full Version : Please Post Your Favorite Places/Routes in CA To Ride

mightywarlock
12-25-2006, 06:13 AM
we all have our favorite routes, or places we like to ride.
by now everyone knows my Tour of the Twisties would probably be my favorite route.
it goes out to the rock store via Mullholland Highway, then lots of twisties, and out to Ojai and the Deer Lodge, and then up into the mountains and out to frazier park, then out past the Rock Inn, then out towards palmdale and into the angeles forest. almost 400 miles of the best roads i have experienced so far.

just wondering,
what's your favorite ride?

Stelis
12-25-2006, 07:23 AM
I've been on so many great roads in CA, really tough to name just one.

Hwy 88 from Lake Tahoe to Jackson, great scenery, lots of biker bars along the way.

Hwy 49 from Vinton to Nevada City, could very well be number 1 or number 2 on my favorite CA routes.

Hwy 180 running through Kings Canyon National Park, probably the other road competing for number 1 or number 2. Just breathtaking!

The route from Santa Maria to Santa Paula, taking Hwy 166, to Cerro Norroeste, to Mil Portrero, Cuddy Valley, Lockwood Valley, Hwy 33, and Ojai Rd.

As for local So Cal riding, a favorite is Sunrise Hwy (S1) from Lake Cuyamaca to I-8.

Shorty
12-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Hmmm, I dont recall the exact road name and it wasnt a long ride but I always like going out Portugese Bend. Its a windy road high on the cliff that is constantly failing, because its on a cliff hehe. Multi million dollar mansions up above. The crashing ocean down below. Oh yeah, that was a cool ride.
Other than that going up 101 always worked for me.
Riding through Compton on the other hand wasnt so much fun hehe.

Brobrian
12-31-2006, 03:23 AM
Whasamatta Shorty, fraid them fellas won't be helpful if you break down in their neighborhood?

My favorite ride lately has been out the 38 to Big Bear through either Mentone or Cherry Valley, with a stop at that little store near Seven Oaks for a beer. Around the mountain through Big Bear and then hook up with the 18, then across Rim of the World and back home with a speedy blast on that new stretch of freeway between SB and Redlands. B)

Shorty
12-31-2006, 03:27 AM
Whasamatta Shorty, fraid them fellas won't be helpful if you break down in their neighborhood?No Bro, Im afraid they will be helpful. Helping themselves to me and my cashola hehe.
I got jury duty in Compton once, back in 86. I went to the doctor and had him write a note that said I had Agoraphobia. :lol: I was excused. :D

Wide
12-31-2006, 03:28 AM
Palos Verdes Shorty?

I like the 10 east early when theres no traffic, just blast at top speed. great ride

:D

Shorty
12-31-2006, 03:30 AM
Palos Verdes Shorty?

I like the 10 east early when theres no traffic, just blast at top speed. great ride

:DYes I think thats where its at Wide. I wouldnt have remembered unless you said the name first. Was it called Rancho Palos Verdes? I just remember that darn road and snickering at the rich dummies that lived up top. :D

Wide
12-31-2006, 03:34 AM
Yep, that be the palce

Big golf course now with $$$$$$$$$$ homes :D

Ledhed
12-31-2006, 04:26 PM
Whasamatta Shorty, fraid them fellas won't be helpful if you break down in their neighborhood?

My favorite ride lately has been out the 38 to Big Bear through either Mentone or Cherry Valley, with a stop at that little store near Seven Oaks for a beer. Around the mountain through Big Bear and then hook up with the 18, then across Rim of the World and back home with a speedy blast on that new stretch of freeway between SB and Redlands. B)

We like that route, too! I like to go through Reche canyon along the way.
I also love doing the Ortega Hwy too. Awww! What the hell, if it has twisties, I love it!!!! :D :D

sh2m
12-31-2006, 04:39 PM
start @ 8 & 78 and ride to the 215

Brobrian
12-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Another one from the IE that's pretty cool is to go through Hemet to Idylwild, stop for a bit, then continue through the mountains past Humber Park and down into Banning then back through Riche Canyon and over Redlands Blvd. back to the 60.

Agoraphobia? What's fear of cats got to do with jury duty. Musta been a soft judge :D

Shorty
12-31-2006, 05:07 PM
lol Bro...AGORAphobia...not ANGORAphobia! :lol:
I remember Hemet and Banning. Wow, thats bringing back memories of rides I took 20 years ago. Crazy ass rides. Long hot dusty rides. Free rides before Calif had a helmet law. Nice. :D

Talisman
12-31-2006, 05:56 PM
49 is definitely a good one. I used to live in Grass Valley, and take that one quite abit. It’s been a while since I really went explore’n in California, but when I was stationed in Vallejo I used to love following HWY 29 up to Napa, then head’n off into the wine country. Allot of great back roads there to explore. Sometimes I’d pick up hwy 12/121 and make my way out to Point Reyes to visit with the Sea Loins, or just head up HWY 101 to Fort Bragg. More recently I’ve followed HWY 32 up into the Sierra Nevadas to Chester. That was a great putt, but beware of the critters as it gets closer to dusk…

Shorty
12-31-2006, 06:02 PM
49 is definitely a good one. I used to live in Grass Valley, and take that one quite abit. It’s been a while since I really went explore’n in California, but when I was stationed in Vallejo I used to love following HWY 29 up to Napa, then head’n off into the wine country. Allot of great back roads there to explore. Sometimes I’d pick up hwy 12/121 and make my way out to Point Reyes to visit with the Sea Loins, or just head up HWY 101 to Fort Bragg. More recently I’ve followed HWY 32 up into the Sierra Nevadas to Chester. That was a great putt, but beware of the critters as it gets closer to dusk…Vallejo? You wouldnt happen to have been there in 76 were you?
Happy New Year Tali, I think its safe to say Ill see you in 07! ;)

Talisman
12-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Vallejo? You wouldnt happen to have been there in 76 were you?
No, I was there from 82', to late 83'. But I was in Chico in 76'. That's my home town. Left there in 77'.

Happy New Year Tali, I think its safe to say Ill see you in 07! ;)
Count on it! ;)

All the best of the New Year to you too Shorty! drunks

Brobrian
12-31-2006, 06:13 PM
lol Bro...AGORAphobia...not ANGORAphobia! :lol:
:D
Oh, yeah, I guess that makes more sense. Whatever, I don't know a agor's are either..

This thread has settled it for me. I'm not going to tile the batheroom today. I'm hpppin on my bike and goin for a cruise. See ya'll when the tank gets empty. B)

mightywarlock
02-04-2007, 02:39 PM
bump

tireater
03-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Up to the Paradise store or Cold Springs tavern off higyway 154.
Only 40 miles round trip from my place - but you can escape the grey days of summer and remain sane. Twisty highway and twisty backroads - and usally clear skies and warmer. Everyone has to experience Cold Springs on Sun.! GOOD FUN !... RIDE SAFE!

adamless
06-11-2007, 08:09 AM
Another good one day route in South San Jose area is over 152 - Mt. Madonna through Watsonville onto Hwy 1. Hwy 1 North to Capitola - stop at the beach for lunch. Continue up 1 N to Santa Cruz and hit Hwy 9 North towards Felton. Stop at one of a few local bars for a beverage and continue until you hit Bear Creek - tons of twists and turns through the forests. Head East on Bear Creek to HWY 17 and you can follow 17 into San Jose and home. If you want a full day, you can skip Bear Creek and continue to Skyline blvd and stop at Alice's. Follow Skyline East to 17. I have only done this twice being somewhat new to CA, but it is incredible to be in Redwood forest, beach, and redwood forest again in one single ride.. coming from Austin, TX - that still amazes me.

shadecorp
07-04-2007, 06:15 AM
:D [b] [flag=us]
The Trona - wildrose highway.
From Death Valley,
Past the WildRose camp ground
To
Trona.
Or,
From
Trona
To Death Valley.
Going to,
or coming home from
Las Vegas.
NOT a summer time ride. [flag=us]

Sniper338
07-26-2007, 09:17 AM
I hate the ride to Vegas and back but when your in Vegas go up to Mt. Charleston or thru Pahrump to Crystal and stop at Miss Kathy's for lunch. (Don't stop anywhere else in Crystal just Miss Kathy's and just to have a beer and eat food) :D
A good ride from Ojai is up hwy 33 to Taft and back (but watch for the crotch rockets) :(
Or go up 101 to Santa Margarrita then cut over to Pozo. :D

1524montana
08-27-2007, 09:00 PM
One of my favorite local rides is to the Rock Inn at Lake Hughes. There's several different routes to get there and most of them are twisty and scenic. They usually have live music on the weekends and the food is good.

The Rock Inn (http://www.rockinnusa.com/)

Another great Ride is to Newcomb's Ranch which is locate up the Angeles Crest Hwy. Again, there's many different roads to explore and most of them are twisyt and scenic.

Newcomb's Ranch (http://www.newcombsranch.com/home_iframe.htm)

dmattlin
10-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Since your discussing great rides here in the South Land here is something to keep in mind that is not so great..
When your looking at a map of the PCH through Laguna leading up to Newport it looks like it would be a great ride along the coast.
Becareful not to do it anytime in the summer months. You will never make it out of 2nd gear, it is stop and go the whole way. And the PHC is loaded with CHP.
So incase you have never been down to the PCH in Orange County it is still a great view, just plan to do it in the off seasons.
Oh Yeah.. and watch out for surfers, they run out from between cars..

igowfo
12-30-2008, 01:18 PM
I live in Texas but I have kept a bike out in Las Vegas or San Fran for the past 4 years so I can do my own Fly n' Drive out West. I have to admit that of all the states that I haver ridden, California is on the top shelf, although Alaska is on the agenda for next summer.

I recently discovered a ride through the Redwoods out to the most western point of the lower 48 states, a route refered to the Ferndale loop, which was recently front page on Hog tales.

I thank all of the Cali Riders for their recomendations through out the years.

Whistler
12-31-2008, 07:12 AM
i sure hate to say this but everytime i ride down my drive way and go some where is one of my favorite rides... hay we shoould all meet at a place to say hi and etc... then go about are ways... would be worth checking into....

Wide
12-31-2008, 07:13 AM
i sure hate to say this but everytime i ride down my drive way and go some where is one of my favorite rides... hay we shoould all meet at a place to say hi and etc... then go about are ways... would be worth checking into....

have to agree with you

Just about anywhere I go I like

m106191
04-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Last weekend I rode to a place in Dana Point right off Pacific Coast Highway called THE WICKED GARDEN. (I think I saw the post on this forum but cant seem to find it anymore??)

They had a all you can eat BAR-B-QUE and a great bar. 1beeers They also have outside firepits for smoking cigars. groucho

Later in the day when many were pretty lit they installed a pole in the middle of the joint and well... lets just say that the girls were practicing the the ART OF POLE DANCING... very nice!!

I spoke to the management (TIM and FRANK) and they said this Sunday is the official restart of this event (April 5) over 30 Corvettes and countless Harleys are going to show up!

Here is there info.. see you there!

34085 Pacific Coast Hwy
Dana Point, CA 92629
(949) 493-7379
www.wickedgardenrestaurant.com

D.N.F.
04-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Shut the fuck up and get the book.

I have the BC and Washington books. Fucking amazing.

I would assume the CA book is just as good.

http://www.destinationhighways.com/