PDA

View Full Version : Can you get an Evo sound out of a Twincam

greatgolf7
12-13-2004, 03:50 AM
I have a 2001 RKC that is fuel injected. It has a good sound, but not the sound I would like. I am considering getting an older bike with an Evo motor and that is carbed. I love the potato potato sound. How close can I get? Can I add a cam to help give me that sound?

junior
12-13-2004, 04:18 AM
welcome golf....

i'll give you my $0.02...

the "potato potato" bit only applies at idle. you only idle when you are not moving. sitting on a non-moving bike is not much fun.

don't sweat the sound- enjoy the bike. you have a nice one it sounds like- put some (s)miles on it and forget about the idle sound...

jmho-

j

tradrockrat
12-13-2004, 04:57 AM
welcome golf....

i'll give you my $0.02...

the "potato potato" bit only applies at idle. you only idle when you are not moving. sitting on a non-moving bike is not much fun.

don't sweat the sound- enjoy the bike. you have a nice one it sounds like- put some (s)miles on it and forget about the idle sound...

jmho-

j

Abso-fucking-lutely right on!

And Dude, It's a Harley!

Wide
12-13-2004, 05:26 AM
Welcome to the forums greatgolf7

Like they said not much you can do to change the sound except make it louder, the fuel injection smooths out the motor by it's nature.

Enjoy the forums :D

NY90
12-13-2004, 10:57 AM
I love the potato potato sound.

Welcome greatgolf to the only place to be on the net.
My $0.02, as long as your rides doesn't sound like....
SUSHI SUSHI...you are fine! :D

TexasFatBoy
12-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Greatgolf7 - welcome to the forums! Not much I can add, but keep in mind that the EFI bikes tend to have a higher idle set than the carbed bikes anyway which can affect the sound, but wouldn't recommend lowering that idle either. My EVO is carbed and only gets a real throaty potato-potato going when I under-idle the bike. I keep it about 900-1000 rpm at idle and while it loses some of the potato-potato, it runs better - and everyone compliments me on the sound when it's running which is way more important to me than when I'm sitting still! :lol:

curley725
12-13-2004, 02:41 PM
hi golf

welcome to the group!!!!!!!!!!!!

all i wanted to add is that low rpm idle to get the sound you are looking for is hard on the bottom end of any HD early or late model

have fun and ride it

curley B)

greatgolf7
12-14-2004, 01:40 AM
Well thanks guys for the feedback. Even when not at a idle, the new TC88 has a different sound. I am not saying it is a bad one, just different.
I am seriously thinking about trading down (for an older one) just to get the EVO? Have I lost my mind? A carbed EVO sounds much better than an efficient EFI TC88. My focus is crusing with sound, not more hp and performance. If that were the case, I would be a street bike.

TexasFatBoy
12-14-2004, 04:45 PM
You don't say what pipes you are currently running or any other mods that you may have done to the bike so far. Probably the biggest factor in changing the sound will be the pipes. Go to some bike nights or biker bars and listen to other TC88's. If you hear one ya like, ask the owner about em. Pipes and sound are so personal that ya really need to go out and here a bunch of em until you find what you like.