PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself

hogman
08-19-2004, 03:26 AM
Hey everybody. Glad to find this site. I am also a new (soon to be) Harley owner. Looking at the Electra Glide Standard 2005 or the Heritage Softail Classic 2005. Got my learner's permit today. Am signed up for a class next weekend. Want some feedback on my bike choice, also would like some advice regarding insurance. Is there one company that is better than others?

WolfSpectre
08-19-2004, 03:29 AM
Welcome, hogman.

There is a topic addressing your questions and concerns for a new bike (help, Wide! Where is that thing? Is it in the Red Zone?).

At any rate, I am certain that the best advice you will get will be similar to this...

Complete the course.
Get your endorsement.
Rent some bikes (different ones) to get a first hand idea of what you like/need.

The guys here are really good at answering questions, so, let 'em fly!

whodatt
08-19-2004, 03:38 AM
Welcome to the forums, and WolfSpectre has you covered. Enjoy the place and have fun figuring out which bike you want. Whatever you choose you'll be happy.

ruft
08-19-2004, 04:10 AM
Be sure to shop around for insurance, Progressive seems to the big name in motocycles. We had a thread on the old site for this too.

WildHair
08-19-2004, 04:13 AM
Hogman,

I was checking on insurance today for my new ride thats supposed to come in next week :D :D I was suprised on the spread, I got quotes from $400 to $1,200. The low company is the one that I have all of my other policies with. So just check around.

Oh yeah Welcome aboard.

Superloop
08-19-2004, 04:54 AM
Welcome to the fray!

magicdragon
08-19-2004, 05:48 AM
Hey Hogman welcom to the group. and they have you covered on the bikes. the insurance I went through Harley-Davidson Insurance. I called them and they gave me a couple of quotes from different companys. one of them was the company that I use for my motorhome and they were the higher one. But I did go with Foremost they were the cheaper one.

Hope you like the site and there is plenty of help here if needed.

Wide
08-19-2004, 06:55 AM
Hi Hogman

Nice to hve you here

Lots of folk that likes talking about there Harleys

You can read htis, it may help you

http://www.harleychatgroup.com/index.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=2

tradrockrat
08-19-2004, 07:30 AM
welcome to the forum

animal
08-19-2004, 07:36 AM
Hey Hogman,welcome to the forums. you picked a couple of great motorcycles. I love both of them for different reasons. I think softails are the sharpest looking bikes, but long trips would be really sweet on a bagger. I assume you have owned other bikes before, if not. It's more difficult to learn on those big bikes. I wish you luck. I learned to ride on a smal, cheap rice burner, so when I layed it down because of a dumb newbie mistake, I wasn't out much cash.I didn't even take the MSF class, I just got on it and took off. The suggestions I got from my Dad's old school biker friends was to not drink and ride until I get more experience, and to buy a real bike when I had the exp, and the cash. Whatever you finally decide to do. The best of luck to you, my friend.

Kruizin
08-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Hi Hogman, and welcome to the forums!

The best suggestion I would make to you as far as which bike to buy is to just go down to you local HD dealer and check 'em out. Sit on 'em and find a few that just stand out to you more than the rest. Then, rent 'em to really nail down your choice. Hey, yer spending all this money on a bike, what's another hundred or so to make sure you've got the right one?

Check around on the insurance also, as you will get a wide range of prices.

Good luck, and ride safe! B)

speedman
08-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Looks like the crew has you covered hogman, just wanted to welcome you to the forums. drunks

wrench95747
08-19-2004, 04:49 PM
Welcome Hogman. I love my Heritage even for longer trips. And for what it's worth I have Progressive and they haven't raised my rates through the roof like my auto and homeowners (Prudential, told me it was due to fires in San Diego last year, assholes) Opps, sorry, I got myself going there

wreckerman
08-19-2004, 11:03 PM
B) good advice from all the above .. just wanted to welcome you to the hcg as you get going with your new bike i am sure you will have question , feel free to post them and we will see if we can be of help

Swyney
08-20-2004, 12:03 AM
Welcome hogman, post often and enjoy the ride

rwpatton
08-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Welcome and jump right in Hogman. :wacko:

RW

BigRedMachine
08-20-2004, 03:37 PM
You got all the advice you need!

Welcome to the best damn chat group in the world!
freakin