PDA

View Full Version : Pushing Oil

JJs63FLH
01-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Anyone farmiliar with early HD oiling system? I need help. My Pan is pumping oil out of the rear exhaust pushrod tube, at the base. I checked the oil pump which is a Shovel type, and both keys are intact and the scavenger gears seam to be in good condition. What should I look for next? Anyone? Thanks.

Wide
01-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Welcome to the forums

Something like this I'd really have to see it in person. Engine condition, internal-external oil lines etc.

You may have something as simple as a clogged branch feeds to the top causing too much pressure to the lifter blocks.

Open the tank & verify that you are getting circulation, verify pressure.

I guess were not just talking a bad gasket here?

I run a 65 pan here as a daily driver, I here what your saying

JJs63FLH
01-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks for responding Wide. The motor has low milage, and the problem occured after riding all day. Like out of the clear blue, bamm, I've got oil everywhere, including all over my rear tire. It has external oil feed from between the jugs to a Y then up to each of the heads. Any ideas?

JJs63FLH
01-15-2007, 06:26 PM
By the way, the cork gaskets are fine. Thanks, JJ.

Nitram_b4
02-06-2007, 01:21 AM
check the pressure relief on the pump
a ball and spring if i recall....I had one stick before after a rebuild

JJs63FLH
02-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Thanks for you input Nitram. I did ultimately fix the problem, and you are probably right with regards to the plunger. I stripped down the oil pump, and there was very very little crap in the plunger and the check ball and spring. I did pull out the lifter blocks to check their weep holes. Didn't find much crap there either. I didn't do much of anything else, so I guess that it doesn't take much to clog up an oil system. One tip to those R&R ing an oil pump. Be sure to flood it with oil and get out as much of the air as possible. I rigged a clear plasic line to a funnel and dumped a little oil in, loosened the pump cover bolts till the oil oozed out, retightened the bolts then rolled over the engine with the kicker just to be sure there was a draw on the inlet side. I thank you for your response. Happy riding.

Wide
02-06-2007, 06:45 AM
Thats great

Thank you for responding with the fix

The old girls are a bit temperamental untill you make peace with them, havnt touch my pan in close to 5 years now of SoCal driving