PDA

View Full Version : I need a custom tail light

voodoochild
02-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to finish up a 240 rear tire kit on my 04 Dyna wide glide. One of my last hurdles is the tail light. I retained the stock fender, split and widened, and it is now 11" wide. How difficult is it, or what's involved with making a new tail light for it. Should I go LED? I have a friend at a local machine shop that could help me out. The light will be about 9-10 inches wide, maybe 3 inches high, sortof like an eyebrow. I've looked at car tail lights but just haven't seen anything that I like. I've also looked through every online catalog I could find, also, no luck. Any suggestions? Has anyone done this before? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, C
Ps. I hope this question is in the right area

Relic
02-26-2007, 07:38 PM
How about a cateye LED. I like the look and Custome Chrome or J&P has them. Or better yet, wait until Kagan wakes up. Jazda)):

Kagan
02-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Holy smokes. LED taillights are everywhere. You've checked Drag Specialties and Custom Chrome? They offer a lot of what's out there but not everything. There's Kury-Akyn, Pro-One, Joker Machine, Arlen Ness, .... :blink2:

junior
02-26-2007, 09:29 PM
along kagans lines- you can buy strip led's in various sizes. use these as a base, then inset them in a box that you can french into the back of the fender with any cutout shape you choose to make....

j

voodoochild
02-27-2007, 09:15 AM
I also like the look of the Pro-one lite but they weren't very helpful on the phone, borderline "annoyed" that I would bother them with such a silly question. I wanted to know how wide their lite was because it was the nicest I had seen. Don't you guys think it will look stupid if I put a small light in such a big fender? I (think) need a lite that is about 3 inches wider than the cateye LED. Junior, should I make the "box" out of billet or similar, with a solid back, or are you thinking like sheet metal type of box? Obviously I'm not good with lights.....Thanks, I really appreciate the suggestions.

boulderbean
02-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Try these, you can make a housing or put in the fender as shown, they will also work as turn signals if you like.
http://www.customdynamics.com/flex_led_array.htm

voodoochild
02-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Wow, thanks for the tip. They look pretty cool. I am going to do a little research on them. Appreciate the info.

junior
02-27-2007, 11:13 AM
the ones that boulderbean suggested are exactly what i meant. the "box" can be anything- some guys actually glass them in as they really aren't likely to malfunction and they must be replaced as an assembly anyways. this provides maximum tire clearance....if you aren't comfortable with that, set them with posts and nuts, then build a light gauge sheet box over them that could be removed....

j

voodoochild
02-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Sweet idea. I hadn't seen them on line believe it or not. I guess after searching and searching you just go a little batty. I think they will work as they can be used as running and brake. Nice! Thanks again guys!

voodoochild
03-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Ok guys, I got this far. I made a cardboard template to fit into the rear of the fender area. (see below) I cut out, this afternoon, some 16ga sheet metal that fits in there perfectly where the cardboard was. Now, the question is.....what do you think would look the best in that space? I could do a horizontal row, starting at the top, of LED's, like maybe 8, then 10, then 12, and maybe a final row of 12. Or I could get some other thin style of LED's and put several of them in some odd configuration. Whatddya all think would look nice. I don't want it to look half-assed, but don't need it to look like a custom one-off, ya know. Opinions please. I took someones advice (sorry, don't remember who) and made the sheet metal backer, which I think was the best way to start. Just FYI, that plate is recessed into the rear of the fender by about 1/2" or so. I don't want the tail lights sticking out past the edge of the fender. Ok, thanks guys!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/voodoochild626/IMG_9999_1.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/voodoochild626/IMG_9999_2.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s180/voodoochild626/IMG_9999.jpg

tireater
03-22-2007, 03:13 AM
I am sorry if I jump in here at the end but...what you are trying may accentuate the large gap behind fender (reminds me of Carrera whale tail)
If I could - I would use a fender that followed the tire and ended closer to ground - so you don't stare at the gap...and french everything in including lic. plate..
I guess it's too late for that so I would make the plate out of metal mesh - powdercoat it to match tire and mount everything on inside of it...Unless you were using the brakes or turn signals - you wouldn't see anything...
This was done on exile's RX streetfighter and is very sano...
On my St. Bob I cut 7" off the fender - but it just accentuated the gap between tire and fender. Got a blank off e bay and made a swingarm mounted fender with welded chain struts. Powdercoated all satin black and 3/4" off tire - looks great and keeps the gravel off my back from the sticky tire. JUST MY .02

OldBikerGuy
03-22-2007, 03:44 AM
Don't you guys think it will look stupid if I put a small light in such a big fender?

Jesse James doesn't. ^_^

Oh, BTW, ahve you considered a side-mount taillight/license plate combo? That way you leave that nice big fender clean.

tireater
03-22-2007, 03:58 AM
Gotta second the sidemount idea - couldn't find one for the St. Bob so I found a verticle lic plate holder with maltese cross light with no mount for about $100. Made a mounting bracket off the lower shock mount out of steel diamond plate with my 4" makita and had a local muffler shop do the welding. Powdercoated it all satin black.
Looks good and allows the fender to be slammed on the tire with no stop light or turn signals...my .02

Nitram_b4
03-22-2007, 07:27 AM
nice work

Nitram_b4
03-22-2007, 07:33 AM
http://www.demonscycle.com/ they got 3 pages of axle mounted tail light, plate combos...very nice

tireater
03-22-2007, 08:02 AM
I think the reason I didn't go with the axle mount plate is I am trying to make tire changing easy. As soon as I loosened the axle - the plate would flop over - now all I have to is pull fender (1 min.), remove caliper and slide wheel up and then back (5 min total)
I run a 5.5" Akront alum rim and I had to disconnect the brake line with stock caliper to get wheel off. A pain since my tires last no more than 2 months. It works much better now.

voodoochild
03-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Hey Tireater, don't apologize for jumping in, I'm still workin all this stuff out trying to find the best looking solution. I appreciate all comments and opinions, even if I don't think it a particularly suitable one, it still gets me thinking about other options. I believe I am going to have to go back to the side mounted plate bracket. No other choice because I don't want to cover anymore of the tire. I actually like my bob tail fender, that's why I had it split and widened. I never realized how big it would be after it was done. I think that plate will be cut down in height, just haven't figured out the particulars yet. I also think I will have some skull/eyes cut into the plate and light it from behind. That was a suggestion from another member here. It looked really nice. We'll see, thanks for the advice and comments guys!

tireater
03-23-2007, 12:19 PM
First - IF YOU LIKE IT - I LIKE IT!
Next - It's the forest and the trees - we are all looking and thinking about a fender - when complete - it will all blend together...
Different areas have different styles of bikes - go with what you like!
I hang at a biker bar on weekends where we get 100's of bikes - many big buck models...some of the worst bikes have had a wide tire kit put on and somehow the fender didn't work. Most of these are not in your style and are usually turned down, too wide and too flat. Everyone says how stupid it looks when they leave - even though they spend big bucks and may have custom paint...
MAKING A WIDE REAR FENDER LOOK GOOD IS NOT EASY !!!
READ 1ST SENTENCE !!! AND GOOD LUCK !!!
P.S. If you could put your turn signals on the end of your struts - that would be sano....

tireater
03-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Check out the RX Streetfighter at Exile for lights hiding behind black mesh...GOOD LUCK !

Oli1200
03-23-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm thinking of coping this to replace my iron cross side mount light.: Good ole in your face model a taillight with a special twist. Jazda)):

http://www.lickscycles.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=109&products_id=1322

Oli1200
03-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Gotta second the sidemount idea - couldn't find one for the St. Bob so I found a verticle lic plate holder with maltese cross light with no mount for about $100. Made a mounting bracket off the lower shock mount out of steel diamond plate with my 4" makita and had a local muffler shop do the welding. Powdercoated it all satin black.
Looks good and allows the fender to be slammed on the tire with no stop light or turn signals...my .02

I was just gonna say you can buy good steel sturdy brackets for cheap on ebay that you can mount to your lower shock mount. But you already knew that.

tireater
03-23-2007, 10:12 PM
You can pick up the phone but ....you can't order MY shock mount bracket...
AND THAT IS THE POINT...IF YOU HAVE IT - I DON'T WANT IT !
The only way to be origional is to make it yourself. Go get $5 scrap diamond plate (or reg. steel) at a welding shop, make a template out of cardboard that fits and transfer it to steel. Cut it out with 4" grinder with cut off wheel. Take the 2 pieces to muffler shop with case of beer at end of day. Paint or powdercoat or chrome and then take pride that you have the only one. I have no shop or garage and built the coolest St Bob in Cali. off the tailgate of my truck in a mobile home park...(pissed off a few tweakers) I am now working on some custom bars, custom seat and a custom headlight.
You have to see a picture (or several) because you have not seen ANYTHING like it - I DIDN'T PICK UP THE PHONE....

Oli1200
03-23-2007, 11:22 PM
I still gotta get a damn digital camera sometime to take my pics but let's see some pics of that street bob.

tireater
03-24-2007, 02:42 AM
Took the pics but cameras software is fighting me . Working on it but it's another beautiful day so i'll spend most of it riding...

voodoochild
03-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Hey Tireater, you gotta get some pics for us. It sounds like you've made quite the machine. I'm lucky in the sense that I've got a decent shop, I've also got a mig welder, torch, and a few other little things laying around that I can use to help fabricate stuff. What I lack is.......experience with fabrication, and the ability to weld really well. I just can't out-trick myself, ya know. I'm Ok, but no pro by any stretch. I'm gonna hit the weights real quick, then run out to the shop and see if I can't get something done. I'll post back with more info/pics as soon as I can. Thanks again for the info.

Bigshovel
03-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Pics talk ....bullshit walks.

tireater
03-25-2007, 03:12 AM
When I hit browse - it brings up my documents - but pics are in my pictures - SO I NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO MOVE THE PICS...
Almost got it figured out last night...but my friends had other ideas.
Today I have to throw the G.F. a nooner, fix the brakes on the bagger, ride til dark and shoot pool til midnight. Toss the G.F. another wild ride and hopefully pass out by 2am. Dosen't leave alot of time to figure out pics - but it'll do...
If you have to - they were posted on "the Horse" about a month ago. Or go to Exile site and imagine a RX Streetfighter with red rims and heads. No front fender and a slammed rear fender....and a cleaner seat....
GOTTA GO - IT'S MY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

voodoochild
03-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Come on Tireater....you can fuck anytime! We need to see pics of that bike, you're killin us here with suspense. :D Happy B-day bro!

tireater
03-26-2007, 02:10 AM
I got really close but I guess I have to downsize pics. first as it wouldn't take them.
I guess everyone dosen't have a midget with a tiny vagina that is hooked on sex. BUT I DO !!!
Schedule - Ride midget...ride supermoto in canyons...go to bike blessing with bagger...ride to Cold Spring....dance until 8pm...drink, smoke and ride midget until midnight....LONG DAY!...but someones got to do it....

Pillferer
07-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Nice lookin bike voodoochild I have neen looking for some cool lights myself I found some good info on led's you can check out if you like. http://www.theledlight.com/ or http://www.leddynamics.com/LuxDrive/ The first site I reallyy liked If you want to try makeing something yourself. The site boulderbean suggested is pretty cool I saved it myself looks like some good stuff. Good luck with your bike.