PDA

View Full Version : Crappy running 79 shovel

JeffW
03-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got the bike back together and runs like crap, Mis fires, barely stays running unless you play with the throttle. shoots flames out carb, fuel washes out of from the front of carb, black smoke just all around shitty.

I'm thinking timing?????
How do you properly time this without a timing light, I heard you can do it with a trouble light (12v)?????????????

Any ideas anybody?????????

Thanx

WM Jeff

JeffW
03-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Oh yea its got points

Later

WM Jeff

Wide
03-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Hi Jeff

Sounds like you have more then one thing wrong here,

First thing you need to do is fix the fuel from coming out the carb, most likely you'll have to get a rebuild kit. Sounds like the floats are getting stuck open. Also look at the intake manifold gaskets, they seem to go ba d a lot. I replace them every couple years on my Panhead.

Then you can mess with timing, yes you can use a bulb you just need to pull the cat out of the timing cover to see the mark, when the bulb lights the points are closed & thats your timing spot.

BTW I merged your other post here, much easier to read & keep track of :D

Bigshovel
03-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Yep, sounds like the carb needs to be gone through. Get a rebuild kit and give us a yell. :)

JeffW
03-04-2007, 05:27 AM
Thanx i'll get the kit, Can you explain a little further how to find the timing mark, Whats a cat, I know where the marks are on the flywheel, Then where do you hook the bulb up to??????????

Just call me stupid, But I need training on this stuff.

Later

Nitram_b4
03-04-2007, 09:12 AM
bet that float is sticking on the carb also check and see if the centrifical advance is free....tends to rust up and become un-moveable after setting around a long time

JeffW
03-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Thanx, The advance is working ok, Hitting a meet tomorrow and see if I can stir up a rebuild kit for it.

Bigshovel
03-04-2007, 01:21 PM
I don't use a light myself. Put the verticle line 2/3rds of the way to the front of the timing plug hole. I tweak the advance weights and turn the timing plate until it fires when the advance weight goes full expanded and stops. From there you can make small adjustments as you need. Personally I give it as much advance as I can until it kicks back at me....... that is her way of saying enough. I wouldn't even worry about the timing until the carb is right though. What carb are you running?

JeffW
03-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Its got the stock keihn on it, I'm gonna see what I can find at a meet today

Later

JeffW
03-05-2007, 05:39 AM
I think the dude I got this from was more of an idiot than me, I believe he put the cam in wrong, I think its an andrews, definitly not stock, It has 3 slash marks on it, how would you dial that in as compared to the stock where it shows in the manual to line up the two on the stock with the 2 on the breather gear and the shaft gear??????????????????? Bet this is why its puking fuel if its not set right?????

Maybe??

Jeff

Nitram_b4
03-05-2007, 06:41 AM
shouldnt puke fuel unless ya got a carb problem..if it is a timming problem it would eather backfire through the carb or the exhaust depending if it was too far advanced or retarded.
sounds more like a stuck or bent float in the carb...if the float is stuck or set wrong it could keep dumpping fuel into the carb (overflowing the bowl)...make sure if you leave it sitting around you shut off the gas petcock

JeffW
03-05-2007, 07:24 AM
When it does fire it blows flames from both dude

JeffW
03-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Forgot to add I picked up a clean keihn today and it does the same thing, Damn

Nitram_b4
03-05-2007, 08:14 AM
well it isnt hard to bend the float rod on any carb,you could drop it on a bench and bend it or the seat of the valve could be messed up and not shutting when the float is up

JeffW
03-05-2007, 09:25 AM
K - I will dig into that

Thanx Bro

Ratbike
03-08-2007, 10:38 AM
I give it as much advance as I can until it kicks back at me....... throw her advance and fuel just til she spits......

JeffW
03-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Hey brothers, who would know the correct measurement setting for tyhe stock keihen carb, Have rebuild kit and really need the info.

thanx

thorsblood
03-10-2007, 09:30 AM
This may help, but, you got to get a manual dude. :D

http://motorcyclecity.com/Tech_Tips/Keihin%20Carburetor%20Rebuild/keihin_rebuild_page2.htm

JeffW
03-11-2007, 06:47 AM
I got both a manual and original parts book but cant find where it shows the specs for the float????????? Am I blind

skeezix
03-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Ok here is something simple but it happenned to me once when I picked up a used carb, check that the jets are present and close to being correct. I installed a carb without a hi speed jet and kicked myself when i figgered it out :). Also, new points and plugs to start with. My shovel will run with the timing completely out of whack, so I will think you have a carb prob.

Skeez

JeffW
03-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Anyone wanna buy a great lookin shovel that is kicking my ASS, rebuilt the carb, no longer puking gas, new points condsensor plugs and still farts and wont kick in, WTF, She ran before i'm lost?????????

Great spark for sure, When I wick the throttle no spray from anything, Float adjustment??????? All channels are clear in the carb, mThat I know.............

Thanx :wacko:

Nitram_b4
03-11-2007, 10:02 AM
sound like the pump on the carb isnt working if you are not getting any gas at all now
can you give it a shot of gas down the carbs throat and kick it over and see if she starts to fire

JeffW
03-11-2007, 10:47 AM
I readjusted the float and do have some fuel thats for sure, Shes a fire spitting dragon, I'm thinking it isnt getting nough air, Tell me if the air adjustment screw on top had no spring on it would it possibly cause this, As there is not spring on it as the manual shows there to, I'm gonna put one on tomorrow and see whats happens

skeezix
03-11-2007, 11:48 AM
That spring is just so the screw doesn't shake its way back out is all.

sounds really rich ...

Skeez

thorsblood
03-11-2007, 10:54 PM
I readjusted the float and do have some fuel thats for sure, Shes a fire spitting dragon, I'm thinking it isnt getting nough air, Tell me if the air adjustment screw on top had no spring on it would it possibly cause this, As there is not spring on it as the manual shows there to, I'm gonna put one on tomorrow and see whats happens

Does this mean it is starting now? If so how do the plugs look? Just a thought but check your points wire completely for a short. I had one once just where it exited the points cover. Just a tiny crack in the wires covering. Sometimes its the smallest thing that causes you to go through the biggest hell with these bikes.

skeezix
03-12-2007, 02:11 AM
Good thought Thor, I have had that happen too. Small short = big trouble.

Skeez

JeffW
03-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Fin A, She's a runner, Outa sight, Finally

Between the piece of shit keihen and timing and advance its up and cooking, beware of the float rods on those keihens, Thats for sure.

Thanx to everyone for the input, I've never had a shovel give me this much crap before.

I'll get some pix downloaded and on here for you guys to see my latest project, nothing special just a flat black ride....................

Thanx

again

Wildman

Nitram_b4
03-12-2007, 08:19 AM
lets see pics

skeezix
03-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Good to hear bro.... we need pics :-)

Skeez

JeffW
03-16-2007, 07:23 AM
jwslocal81@yahoo.com

I'm hoping these pics finally go through, I'm a computer idiot sometimes

Let me know

Thanx

And thanx for all the help guys

JeffW
03-16-2007, 08:10 AM
Pix

skeezix
03-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Ok, are you trying to upload the pics ?

S

JeffW
03-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Yea, I've got to shrink the size down to big the reply said, i'll get it

JeffW
03-23-2007, 06:09 AM
I'll get some better pics now that I have this figured out, F me!!!!!!!!!!!!

What da ya think, I like

JeffW
03-23-2007, 06:14 AM
more

Nitram_b4
03-23-2007, 07:16 AM
very kool

Bigshovel
03-23-2007, 07:24 AM
We tradin' Shovel pics? :D Here is the one I built for my little brother after he finished school.

JeffW
03-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Nice scoot, We got twinds, What year, These are of the one u all helped on a couple questions with, Frame to this, I like the way it turned out, Powdercoat, aluminum, ss bolts etc. flat black, Nothing like pulling up to a 50k ride and ask the guy if he change his oil, Most of em dont even know where to put it.

Nice frontend on that, I've got a few more items to f with and slapping on a wide is in the notes.

Wildman :nordic_motor:

Bigshovel
03-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Little bro's is an 80 model. I like yours, flat black is always good. As long as you like it though....who cares. I like flat black too.....

JeffW
03-23-2007, 08:45 AM
You know it, If they dont like it or like me F em. Thats the way my Pops taught me, God Bless him.

Anybody know anyone selling a good wide frontend for decent cash figure???

4 comes early, you guys have a cool day tomorrow

WM

thorsblood
03-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Nice Jeff. You need to get a leather strip down the center of those tanks. I made one out of an old pair of engineer boots once. Mudflaps too. Other than that it looks real nice. Glad you got it going good. :)
I like that rigid Bigshovel. There is a shovel along that lines coming into my life in the near future.

JeffW
03-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Actually I just rebuilt the dash and have that on with a chrome strip for the time being, looks better with it i'd say, they always do.

Later

JeffW
03-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Oh yea a buddy just flew to detroit today, too fin cold 4 me

thorsblood
03-23-2007, 08:59 AM
Oh yea a buddy just flew to detroit today, too fin cold 4 me

Cold? Shit it was in the low 50's today. A F'n heat wave around here. Where you from.... oh .... F-L-O-R-I-D-A. sissy :D

JeffW
03-23-2007, 04:47 PM
What the F you mean sissy, Dude i'm from the NE where its cold as shit, Ever sit 1200 ft in the air with -30 wind chill on the ground, Now thats fin cold!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha

Its nice here though, Any of you guys ever make it down here at all

skeezix
03-26-2007, 03:19 AM
Nice shovels all around I must say !!

Skeez

JeffW
04-08-2007, 03:53 AM
Been busier than shit, wanted to say hey and keep em rolling