PDA

View Full Version : Football..what else?

BlackKnight
12-22-2004, 12:49 AM
Anybody see the Fergerson hit? Thoughts on it? I was reminded of the Stingley hit when I saw that. Cheap ass home slice! :angry:

How about T.O. on the sidelines..LOVE THAT! ;)

How about the fish knocking off the mighty Pats...REALLY LOVE THAT! B)

Atch
12-22-2004, 02:23 AM
The hit on Ferguson was really a cheap shot--- Hope the NFL fines the guy hard for it.
T.O. on the sidelines-- Between the lines, one of the best recievers you'll ever see. Outside the lines---I think he's a cancer.
How about those Dolphins!!!!! I love it when a plan comes together!!!! (New England, your 15 minutes are up! )

bikerTrash
12-22-2004, 02:39 AM
New England is the real deal. The fish got the lull before the playoff storm. I'm not a big Pats fan but they impressed me this year so far.

I didn't see the hit so I'll withhold any comment untill I see ESPN replay.

As far as TO goes, He may be a good receiver but I dont like his antics on or off the field. 1 word would summirise this injury......KARMA Bitch

wreckerman
12-22-2004, 02:53 AM
There is no excuse whatsoever for that cheap hit. I hear he has been suspended for the rest of the season, and most likely the pay he would have received will be his fine, for his offense and rightly so.

And on another note, the Bears will be at the superbowl, I hear they have booked the flight and bought there seats, because that's the only way the sad ass Bears are going to see the superbowl, but as many Chicagoians have said, about many of our teams 'JUST WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR" this is the Chicago sports motto.

Lock-N-Load
12-22-2004, 03:16 AM
....as many Chicagoians have said, about many of our teams 'JUST WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR" this is the Chicago sports motto.

Amen to that. All I can say is only 58 days 'til pitchers and catchers report.

BlackKnight
12-23-2004, 04:37 AM
I saw on ESPN he got slapped with a 75K fine. I agree with it, afterall..its football. I loved Coach Jack's response to the hit, spoken like a true X! :P

whodatt
12-23-2004, 03:15 PM
The hit was brutal, but twenty years ago it would have just been another punishing tackle. I'm reminded of the hit Atkinson put on Swann. Back then defensive backs were tought that no one comes into your zone without paying a toll, whether or not he is involved in the play. Just to make sure he is watching out for you the next time. If he is looking for you, he will not be looking for the ball. If he ain't looking for the ball he can't catch it.

I'm not trying to justify the hit, I'm just saying that the game has changed. Today it's all about making it easy for the receivers to make a big play and run up the score. The true football fan will watch and enjoy a low scoring slug fest, where the casual fan only wants to see big plays and touchdowns. The owners need to have the casual fans if they are going to make the big bucks.

When the Eagles played the Redskins, Sean Taylor got called for a fifteen yard roughing penalty for smacking T.O. in the mouth with a forearm. Good call? Okay, I'll go with that. But if you noticed, after that play, T.O. didn't catch another pass and in fact dropped two that hit him right in his hands/chest. Footsteps? Maybe the penalty was worth it.

I saw the same type of hits many times by Pat Fischer, Jack Tatum, Steve Atwater, Jake Scott, you name 'em. No problem back then. Not saying it's right at this time, just that the game has changed.

Hail to the Redskins!!!

affatboy04
12-23-2004, 03:32 PM
I was watching the game and saw the hit. I honestly don't think he purposely set out to do that. He got overcome by the emotion of the game and made a poor split second decision. What bothers me about it is that after he realized he had made the hit, I never saw him go over to check on Ferguson. He did not appear to feel any remorse for injuring Ferguson the way he did.

I don't know if he has since apologized, but I haven't heard of it.

BlackKnight
12-24-2004, 04:30 AM
Good post Whodatt. Sums it up and I agree 100%. Your example of the casual vs. hardcore fans holds true for hockey also. I would rather see a 1-1 tie then a 10-1 blow out. Now if I can remember what hockey is I'll be okay. :huh:

I read today that he spoke to Ferguson and apologized.

tradrockrat
12-24-2004, 08:36 PM
Good post Whodatt. Sums it up and I agree 100%. Your example of the casual vs. hardcore fans holds true for hockey also. I would rather see a 1-1 tie then a 10-1 blow out. Now if I can remember what hockey is I'll be okay. :huh:

I read today that he spoke to Ferguson and apologized.

Hocky is that game where the players are twice as tough as a football player, but make only 10% of a football players money... :blink2:

Go Colorado AV's!

DemonSpeeding
12-24-2004, 09:13 PM
All the games have changed.Watch old time football films and you get to see clothesline tackles,head slaps,leading with the helmet and blood.Now they get paid insane amounts of money and have to be protected.Now,You see a receiver come across the middle and get laid out.Next thing you know out comes a flag.15 yards for leading with the head.Then he gets fined by the league for the hit.You touch a receiver or he trips over himself ,another flag.You want high scoring games,watch arena football or basketball.