PDA

View Full Version : Ever had one of those..

Brobrian
03-10-2007, 08:16 AM
..brews that are soo good you didn't want your friends to come by for a while so you wouldn't have to share?
I've got two dark beers now that are soo good, I just don't want to share them with anyone. I'll be brewing again this weekend just so I can have something else to offer. (bad, selfiish man). Jazda)):

BikerBabe
03-10-2007, 01:20 PM
:lol: Ya, I'm kinda like that with my PeanutbutterCup Pie, except, I won't make another to share. :P

Fxsts103ci
04-03-2007, 03:41 AM
You share your Homebrew?

Shit I keep store bought swill for guests...

Just kiddin But there are some batches that I dont share .

Brobrian
04-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I'm weak, I know. Plus, if I drank as much as I brew I'd be a drunk weighing in at 350.

There is one batch I'm not sharing right now, though. I made a barley wine last year. It fermented for 6 weeks and then just sat in the bottles from last May until last week. I opened one and MAN! That stuff is so smooth and rich nobody's gonna get a bottle of this.

Fxsts103ci
04-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I'm weak, I know. Plus, if I drank as much as I brew I'd be a drunk weighing in at 350.

There is one batch I'm not sharing right now, though. I made a barley wine last year. It fermented for 6 weeks and then just sat in the bottles from last May until last week. I opened one and MAN! That stuff is so smooth and rich nobody's gonna get a bottle of this.

selfish bastard.... :lol:

Did you use dry malt extract for the bottleing? Found it takes a lot longer to carbonate but it gives the beer more malt flavor and a much creamier dense head . I have a barley wine bottled for about a month . Started with just about 1.105 - 1.110 ( I added 2 lbs brown suger at the end of the boil) In the primary I had to use a blow off tube rather than an air lock this stuff looked like it was boiling there was so much activity.Its long process involved with this type of beer as I waited for the fermentation to completly stop in the carboy Then added the Champagne yeast and let her go again ,gravity just before I bottled it was at 1.030. Should be some real kick ass brew I expect it to be around 11% alcohol.

Brobrian
04-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Wow, great idea using the DME as priming sugar.
The recipe you made sounds great. I think I may have forgotten the champaign yeast when I first re-racked my barley wine, thus, it took a long time to carbonate in the bottles and while it's delicious, it isn't extra high in abv. The night I re-racked I also brewed and bottled. I may have put the dry yeast in but I just couldn't remember. Anyway, turned out great. I'm sure yours will too.

Now its time to start making my summer brews. Gotta get those Pale Ales and IPAs and a couple of hefeweisens goin'.

Fxsts103ci
04-10-2007, 10:44 PM
I use 1 & 1/2 cups of light DME per 5 gallon batch for priming. I am doing a Diamond knot pale ale clone this weekend and then a belgian ale will be next weekend

Brobrian
04-11-2007, 07:58 AM
So that is more than the usual for priming. I prime with 3/4 of a cup for a 5 gallon batch. Well, I'm definitely trying that next time.

Fxsts103ci
04-11-2007, 10:19 PM
the reason you use more of the DME is its not as concentrated as Corn suger . I use the same 3/4 corn sugar per 5 too.

Brobrian
04-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Thought so. But you know what happens when you add to much priming sugar! I've done that and it ain't a happy thiing.
I'm all over this. I'm going to try it with a variety of beers and see what happens.
Thanks.