PDA

View Full Version : Torque specs

skeezix
03-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Anyone know the torque spec for th oil pump cover on my '73 shov ? My Haynes manual sucks for torque specs info.

I am using a paper gasket not a plastic one

thx, Skeezix

junior
03-11-2007, 08:48 AM
i think the evos are about 90-100 in/lbs.....i don't have a manual for shovels, but i'd think it would be similar....

j

skeezix
03-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Have any idears on how to check if the oil pump is spinning freely after reassembly without tearing anything apart ? Me an Frankenglide were pondering over this today in chat..... Frankenglide figures I have to take the cam cover off and spin it from in there. Good idea. Is there an easier way ?

Skeez

junior
03-11-2007, 01:41 PM
notsure what you are trying to find out...are you worried that the oil pump body is misaligned or that the gears are jammed?

j

Bigshovel
03-11-2007, 11:18 PM
White paper gasket....50-60 in-lbs
plastic gasket..............45-50 in-lbs
black paper gasket......90-120 in-lbs

Good idea to rotate the pump gears checking for binding, you will have to pull the gear case cover as well as the pinion gear. You can then rotate the oil pump drive gear freely with your thumb. Leave the pump body bolts a little loose until you find the spot where it turns the best and then torque it down. :)

skeezix
03-12-2007, 03:06 AM
Thx bro

skeez

skeezix
03-12-2007, 06:00 AM
Ok, So I have dissassembled the oil pump cover from the oil pump to replace the gasket I figure was leaking. While doing so, I notice that one of the elbow fittings moves easily. This is likely where my leaking was coming from. So, I commence to remove the little oil fitting on it so I can turn it tighter. Alas, the elbow breaks right off in the pump cover. Well, I was going to replace the gasket anyway so I may as well take the cover off and I pretty well have to, to fix this new prob. I removed what was left of the threads in the pump cover and now I wait to buy a new fitting. Here's the question; can or should I use T-tape on these threads to help them from coming loose ?

Skeez

skeezix
03-12-2007, 06:13 AM
Oh, and do you think I can get one of these fittings at a hardware store ?

Skeez

Bigshovel
03-12-2007, 08:27 AM
I guess you easy outed the broke stuff. I use T tape dude with no problems. You can get the fittings from the hardware store but they will be most likely be brass......No big deal unless you are worried about how it looks after some time.

skeezix
03-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Ya the old stuff spun out easy and the old one was brass, so im happy with that :)

Skeez

skeezix
03-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Update on the oilpump situation, I put it all back together, set the torque wrench for 120 in/lbs and twisted the bolts all evenly. I felt 120 was a little tight so i didnt go all the way to click. they are all even and I will know if I have a leak when I run it the first time :)

skeez