PDA

View Full Version : Custom A C Cover...

tireater
03-22-2007, 03:49 AM
The stock style of A C cover is not very efficient as it draws hot air off the cylinders - and as air temp on intake rises - H.P. decreases...
A flat disc cover can make up to 3 more H.P. that stock type on same filter (on dyno)...
The problem was - they wanted $100 for one...
I found a rice cooker lid and had an idea...
I found some striping tape and did a spiderweb pattern on back of lid. Painted the back red. Pulled the tape and painted the back black. Made a couple of spiders out of epoxy, wire and nuts.
One on mounting nut and one for vent hole - looks like they are fighting...
Cost - almost free Time - 1 hour AND LOOKS KILLER!
Could also be made out of a ss pan lid and polished...

Oli1200
03-22-2007, 04:05 AM
Maybe I'm unsure as to what you're talking about but what about running without an air cleaner cover all together? Naked filter.

tireater
03-22-2007, 04:22 AM
It just replaces the SE metal cover and covers the 3 mounting bolts and center mounting hole - cosmetic only except for plugging center mounting hole...Dewey's customs and others sell them...

Oli1200
03-22-2007, 05:54 AM
The sportster se filter is different but I just painted the element face spray can black, along with the mounting bolts, and the cover bolts are screwed in to the face to plug the holes. I run it naked.

tireater
03-22-2007, 06:01 AM
Running nekid can get you up to 3 hp...sounds good too...

BlackBlt3D
03-22-2007, 08:05 PM
I don't know if you're looking for one, but here's a Naked filter set-up I did on a bud's Fat Boy.

BlackBlt3D
03-22-2007, 08:24 PM
This is just a SE Stage I filter with a HD air cleaner insert (29417-04). Here is a little closer look at it. By the way, I got this idea from a HCC artical on the naked filter.

tireater
03-23-2007, 05:36 AM
Works good and looks good - I LIKE IT !
Have you seen some of the things people are doing with home powdercoat kits? Lots of small pieces such as covers & horn...

Oli1200
03-23-2007, 05:56 AM
Works good and looks good - I LIKE IT !
Have you seen some of the things people are doing with home powdercoat kits? Lots of small pieces such as covers & horn...

Just checked out some powdercoat kits on google, interesting. I've impressed myself with doing some things on my bike with simple rattle can flat black paint. For $4.00 and a few light coats you can really do some cool stuff. I've done my taillight, battery cover, fork covers, air cleaner, handlebars, headlight trim.....etc.

tireater
03-23-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm with you - I have over $1000 of powdercoat on my St. Bob - but sometimes that is a pain - like turn signals. RATTLE CAN IS O.K. !!!
My top triple tree and many other things are rattle canned.
Eventually I powdercoat if possible for durability - 2 blocks from beach....ss spokes mandatory and everything rusts !!!

Oli1200
03-23-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm with you - I have over $1000 of powdercoat on my St. Bob - but sometimes that is a pain - like turn signals. RATTLE CAN IS O.K. !!!
My top triple tree and many other things are rattle canned.
Eventually I powdercoat if possible for durability - 2 blocks from beach....ss spokes mandatory and everything rusts !!!

I know what you mean about getting into the tight spots. I did my rear turn signals and fender strut covers without removing them first. I just used a lot of painters tape and cloths to prevent overspray. I had my rear rim powdercoated though.

tireater
03-23-2007, 09:42 PM
I powdercoated the Akront alum. rims red and everything else black...got bored and powdercoated some pro street heads and rocker boxes and lifter block covers fire engine red...
Rattle can has it's limits - my bike has almost no chrome and gets more looks than chrome bombs that cost twice as much...
As I already hijacked my own thread i'll continue...if you want true motorcycle therapy - try supermoto. I got a DRZ-400 with racing tires on 17" alum. rims. Problems on your mind - go ride the twisties. If you can think of anything give it gas until the only thing you can think of is "WILL I MAKE THE TURN!!!" (32 miles in 21 min! on the twisties!)
After a hour of this you go home completly drained and fall asleep. If you try this on a Harley - you will crash...
THE BEST THING ABOUT THIS IS YOU WON'T EVEN REMEMBER WHAT YOU WERE THINKING ABOUT BEFORE YOU RODE...!
NOT ALL JAP BIKES SUCK (WATCH DIRT TRACK RACING) - BUT MY RICE ROCKET DAYS ARE LONG GONE - RIDE SAFE !!!