PDA

View Full Version : Sturgis Campgrounds, what is the best to stay at?

EasyJim
12-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Myself and several buddies are planning our first trip to Sturgis next year and we want to book our campsites. I have heard Buffalo Chips is a good one, just wondered if you all could give me your suggestions and experiences.
Thanks

wreckerman
12-23-2004, 02:19 PM
EasyJim, welcome to the forums I've been to Sturgis about 20 times now, and have stayed at quite a few campgrounds and they do very a great deal. Not sure what your crowd is up to, but the Buffalo Chip is known for there great entertainment and that's it. The camping is terrible not a shade tree to be had, it is a dust bowl, and the porta-pots are always overflowing, and the crowds to get in and out are rediculous other then that it's ok. Myself I perfer Hog Heaven, easy access in and out, centrally located, clean showers and restrooms, vendors and some entertainment, right next to the hill-climb track plenty of shade trees. Anything in Spearfish is nice, and BearButte is pretty good. Maybe we will see you there this year. We are trying to set up a drink day for HCG members.

affatboy04
12-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Easy Jim: Your decision will be completely dependent on what it is you are looking to do. Buffalo Chip would be my number one choice solely based on the entertainment. It is one big party, but beware because the party never stops (day and night). If you are looking for some sleep and comfort, the Chip is probably not the right place.

I have not experienced the other problems mentioned, but I have heard of the same miserable experience from other Chip-goers.

affatboy04
12-23-2004, 02:25 PM
By the way, obviously, the closer you get to August, the narrower your choice of venues. Don't take too much time in deciding...Sturgis fills up fast.

wreckerman
12-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Atfatboy04, good advice, and you are correct about the chip thing, I just gave him worst case senerio.

EasyJim
12-23-2004, 02:58 PM
I like to party but I do like to sleep as well. And yes, we are looking to get reservations in January.Thanks guys

wreckerman
12-23-2004, 02:59 PM
your welcome glad to help

JD
03-01-2005, 09:41 PM
I stayed at Glencoe last year. I liked it, its big, alot of crazy but cool people, good food, clean showers, plenty of restrooms, and within walking distance of the Full Throttle Saloon (if you would rather walk back hammered vs. ride).