PDA

View Full Version : Vaseline - Now I have two uses for it?

Logan101
04-04-2007, 01:50 AM
As anyone who reads my technical questions knows, I'm in no way/shape/form a wrench. I am trying to work my way up to learning the basic maintenance techniques, though. So please excuse the potentially stupid question here...

In my motorcycle's manual, it recommends putting petroleum jelly on the contacts connecting to the battery to prevent corrosion.

I'm assuming that we're talking just a very little bit on it - enough to make it feel slippery, right? And how often should I be dabbing this on there?

Your help is greatly appreciated, as usual! :)

Old_Evo
04-04-2007, 02:42 AM
Never heard of using vaseline before but I'm sure it works.

Years and years ago I bought a tube of di-electrical grease or electrical contact grease and it's in my shop and I just put a "dab" on all my connectors. This little tube will last a lifetime.

wreckerman
04-04-2007, 04:31 AM
years ago that was common to put a little grease on the battery terminals to prevent corrosion but now days they have some great sprays that are out and made for this job with a lot less mess but to answer your question a little dab fill work just fine

Rice-out
04-04-2007, 04:36 AM
If you put a coating on the terminal and the clamp to cover all metal surfaces it will keep the corrosion to a minimum. Dielectric is ok but you cant put it on the post of the battery where the contact is made. You dont want to use to much because with heat it will spread across the battery top. This will attract road dust which could lead to battery bleed out. I have been using vaseline on my cars for thirty years. Both on the battery and in the back seat :blink2:

Harley-Ray
04-04-2007, 04:49 AM
OBG knows all about putting vaseline on someone's pole. Try PM'ing him.

Hardcore