PDA

View Full Version : Good TC88 shop in north San Diego county

Zanny1
04-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Recently bought a 2002 FLHTPI. Very noisy cam side, so had a local dealer replace the cam chain tensioners. The motor still makes a racket. At 2500 RPM on........ sounds like a valve is gonna come through the rocker box. This is my first TC88, and I have read many threads about cam chain tensioner problems, etc. Since I havent worked on this type of bike, I would appreciate recommendations for a reliable shop in the San Diego California area than knows these motors. The bike runs great, but makes more noise than my 60 FL. Seriously.
Thanks and ride safe.

Wide
04-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Hi Zanny

Welcome to the forums

I here you on these new egg beaters, my 65 runs quite as hell

I dont know of any good TC guys in that area, a bit south of me, Hopefully someone can suggest one :D

webscrounger
06-02-2007, 01:56 AM
Same problem. I've rebuilt the entire cam chest with all new parts only to have the same issue reoccur. Front exhaust valve side on mine, only after the bike is warmed up. Sounds like someone banging on the head with a ball peen hammer.

A local builder/racer recently told me he's seen this a lot. In his experience, the issues are not in the lower end (cam case) but in clearances having to do with the front rocker shaft and alignment bolts, or rocker end play, or rocker clearance with the rocker box, or improperly torqued top end bolts, or a combination of any or all the above.

I am reluctantly going to rebuild the front head. Look for wear or signs of hitting or rubbing on all the parts. If this does not work, then screw the TC, it's been plagued with problems since I bought it in 99. I'm so pissed at this thing I may not buy a new HD ever again.