PDA

View Full Version : Miami, FL

Navy05RKC
06-24-2007, 02:49 AM
So, anyone from here? I've been here about a year now and the riding to me is pretty miserable. Lots of traffic, bad drivers, crazy hot/humid. I guess 4 years in Germany spoiled me.

But...I'm thinkin the biggest bummer is not having a few buddies that I know will at the drop of a hat be up for a ride.

Like I said, Germany spoiled me. Awesome scenery, great roads and the best beer in the world. You could head in any direction and not go wrong.

Miami makes me want to sell my bike gunner

Righteous
06-24-2007, 03:13 AM
welcome to the south , all them nekked and half nekked women down there ought to ride at drop of a hat, hell theres enough here that ride at the drop of the pants ;)

OldSalt
06-24-2007, 05:21 AM
I'm in a similar situation and this is how I make it work.

I've been in the Navy for over 21 years now and each duty station is 3-4 years similar to your situation I'm sure. Each time I move I go find the local HD dealership, Indy shops and known biker bars and see what Poker Runs or Bike events are happening in the community.

I don't really care for Poker Runs, because I don't like inexperienced bikers who I do not know and especially after they've had a few drinks riding behind me, but I check em out anyways when I hit a new area. From those runs you will meet tons of Bikers and usually hit all the Biker bars and biker friendly places in the area. After a few Poker Runs, I got the area down pack and a new set of bikers to ride with.

Also look for the local ABATE chapter in your area which is another great way to find fellow Bikers. Jazda)):

Navy05RKC
06-24-2007, 05:46 AM
Thanks Old Salt, sounds like good advice. I'll have to get out and about and see what happens.

You are in a very similar situation, I'm not too far behind you with 14 years in the Navy. I love it, just bummed with riding here. It is good to be "The Chief" though. :)

HIGHLANDER
04-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Well Jay, if you are still around, and don't mind riding with a retired Warrant, Me and a couple buddies are always riding Saturdays. We run from 200-400 miles for lunch and pie. You are welcome to join us. Give me a ring, 954 790 3284. I'm in the Ft Lauderdale area.

Ezlivn
04-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Jay.....man do i understand what you're saying. My son lives in Homestead....shipping out to Japan next month for 3 years though. (Marines 12 years )I've visited him twice and both times i told him if I had to live here, I'd sell the bikes. I hate it there and so does he. Good luck finding some riding buddies. Key West is a good ride but busy traffic.

wreckerman
04-12-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm in a similar situation and this is how I make it work.

I've been in the Navy for over 21 years now and each duty station is 3-4 years similar to your situation I'm sure. Each time I move I go find the local HD dealership, Indy shops and known biker bars and see what Poker Runs or Bike events are happening in the community.

I don't really care for Poker Runs, because I don't like inexperienced bikers who I do not know and especially after they've had a few drinks riding behind me, but I check em out anyways when I hit a new area. From those runs you will meet tons of Bikers and usually hit all the Biker bars and biker friendly places in the area. After a few Poker Runs, I got the area down pack and a new set of bikers to ride with.

Also look for the local ABATE chapter in your area which is another great way to find fellow Bikers. Jazda)):
old salt nailed it , and gave the same advice i would have , now for the kicker i need to follow his advice also have not met many folks this way eather

Pappy
04-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Don't sell your bike. I moved down here from Maine almost 15 yrs ago and felt the same way. After meeting some folks and getting to know the area, we ride a lot more now. I takes some time to get away from the traffic, but riding up around the lake or down to Keys is well worth it. Check out this link. Its a mag that's pretty much the bible for what's going on in So Fla. Plenty of info on rides and get togethers.
Wheels On the Road (http://www.wheelsontheroad.com)
Send me an email if you want and I'll be sure to contact you the next time me and my buds get together for a ride.

dannytheman
04-15-2008, 02:20 AM
It is tough in Miami.. Only Everglades to ride in, or the keys.. But you could go on a week ride to the panhandle and up to Kentucky.. Just stretch your imagination..