PDA

View Full Version : Survey for School Project

brewcityeddy
06-27-2007, 02:21 AM
Hello harley chatgroup! My name is Edward and I'm working on a college project in Milwaukee. I'm writing a business proposal for my Business Writing class and would love your comments/feedback.

Also, I have been hired by Harley Davidson to intern in the IT department and if my project goes well, I will submit a copy to my supervisor(s) for their consideration.

Specifically, the proposal states that Harley-Davidson should allow private individuals (like you guys and gals) to sell to other private individuals at the H-D website. Currently, only dealers can post used bikes at the H-D website.

Harley could increase web traffic, possibly make some $ for listing fees, sell shipping services, sell insurance and financial services to the buyer and include perks for the seller/buyer to buy product & services at the dealerships.

Any thoughts? Please answer the survey question but also respond to this with your comments or suggestions. Thanks!

Stoney
06-27-2007, 02:23 AM
E-bay & Craigslist beat ya!

HeadDoc
06-27-2007, 02:29 AM
the hcg membership did assist students with projects several years ago. those students posted up some very hot pics of themselves as a thank you...anybody else remember that. so ed gotta a girl friend lol

brewcityeddy
06-27-2007, 02:40 AM
True Stoney, this concept isn't new. Do you think sellers and buyers would prefer to shop at the H-D website over Ebay or Craigslist or HDTrader?

Sorry HeadDoc, I'm a married guy. We just had our first baby, a boy, last week.

If you two were selling, would you consider listing at H-D's website if it were an option?

Harley-Ray
06-27-2007, 02:54 AM
Would be bad for dealers, because it would lower their in store traffic. It would also help continue the spiral downward of used bike prices. Just my 2 cents.

Hardcore

OldBikerGuy
06-27-2007, 03:20 AM
Yeah, nobody's gonna pay much for a bike they've never seen in person and don't know the seller from Adam West. Check out eBay. No bike ever sells on there for anything approaching the seller's original intent. If it sells at all, they get hosed like Harley-Ray did on another thread. To answer the question, I might list one on an H-D site just to increase eye traffic, but I'd never buy that way nor expect anyone else to.

brewcityeddy
06-27-2007, 03:39 AM
After reading your post I called the House of Harley in Milwaukee and spoke with the sales department about how their used bike sales have an advantage over person-to-person sales.

This particular salesman felt that if individuals were selling at H-D's website vs. eBay or HDTrader, they might be given a special opportunity (hypothetically) to report to a dealership with their purchase and buy an inspection & extended service plan if the bike passes inspection.

A seller might be charged a fee upon the sale's completion, but that fee could be partially or fully refundable in the form of a credit to be spent only at an authorized dealer.

This way both the seller and buyer have reason to do further business at the dealership.

brewcityeddy
06-27-2007, 03:54 AM
Oldbikerguy, you're right. I don't think I'd trust a transaction on eBay or HDTrader, not considering the $$ for a Harley.

That's a big advantage the H-D website would have, trust. Sure you're still buying from another private seller, but both buyer and seller would be completing the transaction with the assistance of H-D herself. There could certainly be grievance protection for the buyer and seller.

Another advantage for the private seller is the marketplace at the website. If a dealer is selling used bike "model A" for $19,000, you can price-point your bike near that price. Buyers will need to decide if saving some $ outweighs the security of buying from an authorized dealer.

Bottom line- bring the buyers and sellers in from eBay and HDTrader. Give the services and products at H-D a better tie-in to these used bike sales.

OldBikerGuy
06-27-2007, 04:04 AM
You got some good points there. Those would definitely be advantages to buying over eBay or other websites.

Blackcloud41
06-27-2007, 09:11 AM
If I were the moco, I wouldn't want anyone to sell anything to anybody without my hand in it. Knowing that they are doing it on their own is one thing, but I certainly wouldn't provide the venue for it to happen.

brewcityeddy
06-27-2007, 10:53 PM
If I were the moco, I wouldn't want anyone to sell anything to anybody without my hand in it. Knowing that they are doing it on their own is one thing, but I certainly wouldn't provide the venue for it to happen.
Thanks for the feedback. While I like to hear support for the idea, I'm learning a lot from those who dislike or don't trust it.

What would make H-D comfortable with allowing those transactions? Sure, there would be revised legal disclaimers but I think you're looking at something deeper. Good food for thought.

OldBikerGuy
06-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Keep in mind that H-D has never done anything that wasn't completely designed to enhance their own best interests. If it worked out OK for the consumer, then fine, but that's never the point. Witness the choked out EPA engines that have to be modified before they'll even run right and the fact that they'll keep making the way outdated aircooled touring bikes as long as suckers will buy them.

brewcityeddy
07-06-2007, 05:17 AM
Thank you for all your insights. My research (including this discussion thread/survey) helped form a business proposal.

I found some interesting details along the way: not all H-D dealers post used bikes at the moco website. Some dealers sell used bikes and other product on eBay, some of them post used bikes at both sites.

Perhaps the only way an individual could list a used bike for sale at the H-D website would be by attaching themselves to their closest geographic dealership and awarding a sales comission to that dealer when the bike sells.

All benefits I originally thought might apply to H-D the manufacturer need to be focused on the dealer (H-D corporate will benefit indirectly.)

Logan101
07-06-2007, 05:24 AM
Whether or not it's a good idea for the individual seller, I can't see H-D wanting to do it for two reasons:

1) Liability. If someone buys a bike from another individual and something should go wrong (like they get in an accident or worse) I can imagine ways of H-D being dragged into legal issues even if a disclaimer were involved.

2) Will helping to sell your used bike for you make them as much money as someone buying a new bike?

Nice to see another Milwaukeean around, BTW! Do you ride or are you just here for the poll?

58PanMan
07-07-2007, 01:21 AM
My local asswipe (oops, dealer) tries to sell used bikes for way over market value.
Therefore he has a huge inventory of overpriced unsold used bikes.
He also doesn't like to even talk to anyone with a bike over 5 years old.

I doubt he would consider participating in a sale which would undercut his prices
or allow anything over 5 years old on his lot.

brewcityeddy
07-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Harley's website lists some used bikes posted by dealers. After more research I've fine-tuned my business concept.

I'm proposing that individuals be allowed to list their used H-D bikes for sale directly on the H-D website BUT be automatically assigned to the closest geographic dealer who will be paid a small commission for the sale.

The motor-company already avoids liability because they do not directly sell to buyers, the website listing is a service provided to the independent dealers. Many of the dealers who list bikes on the H-D site also list bikes on eBay.

H-D and the dealers could add value to the used vehicles by offering pre-purchase inspections (for a fee, obviously) and in some cases, a warranty or other insurance. They would also profit from offering financing on the sales.

The devil is in the details. I believe I could create a situation beneficial to everyone. Thanks for all your thoughts here--the objections you mention certainly help me strengthen my plan.

Shorty
07-14-2007, 10:50 PM
The only advantage I see to listing your bike on the HD site is for the exposure. Other than that I wouldnt want HD or any stealership to have anything to do with the sale of my own personal scoot. Some of us dont want to be 'attached' to our local dealer. Hell, some of us even deny having one in the area! hehe And really, their warranties arent worth shit anyways.
Good Luck on your paper and Congrats on your new son! :)