PDA

View Full Version : Just got home after 1,200 miles through California / Nevada

Mellisa
06-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Dave and I, along with another couple left last Thursday from Los Osos, CA on the first leg of our trip. We rode up Highway 1 to Harmony (picked up Jim) then east on Highway 46 to the 101 then up to the 41 North to Oakhurst, where we turned left on Highway 49. Such beautiful country!
Our first night was in Angel's Camp at the Best Western. Free food and drinks *yes, free drinks!* at a deli across the street meant I put on a little bit of a champagne buzz. I was able to walk back to the hotel without assistance though, so I wasn't too far gone.
Day 2 took us to Lake Tahoe where we met up with another couple who rode in from northern California. We stayed at a perfect little cabin in the trees near a lake. More buzz.
Day 3 was a ride into Nevada where we terrorized Carson City H-D and lowered property values in Virginia City. Back to the cabin for dinner of BBQ, salad, bread, and beer. Bigger buzz because they all conspired against me and kept feeding me Guinness. Who can say, 'no' to Guinness????
Day 4 we all said goodbye and headed in different directions. The couple from northern Cal went home. The three other riders we started out with headed to San Francisco and San Jose for the night with relatives. Dave and I headed south to the ranch in Coarsegold for a few days of work and gold panning. I found gold!!
We left Tahoe as the fire was starting on Sunday afternoon. I didn't see any smoke but the 3 who headed west to the coast saw a little of it as they left the area.
Dave and I left the ranch today *Wednesday* after days of work trying to get things to go right. Any of you who have had a ranch know what I mean. There are just some days where everything you try to accomplish blows up in your face. Of course, town is a half hour drive / ride away and all your plans for the day hit the fan as you ride off to find parts, return, try to fix, cuss, throw things, give up, find something else to screw up.
Our trip odometer was at 1,199.3 miles when we pulled into our driveway!
What a great place we live in. California ROCKS !!!!
Because of my shoulder, I wasn't riding my own bike. I was a passenger. It was fun though. I'd forgotten how nice it is to talk to someone while I'm riding down the road. When I'm alone, all I have to do is listen to the voices in my head and they scare me.

Blackcloud41
06-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Sounds like a great trip.
When it rains after a forest fire, the black, soot filled water is bottled, mixed with tobacco spit, carbonated, and labeled as Guiness. How can you drink that swill? lol

Mellisa
06-28-2007, 09:41 PM
LOL Hey, I never have to worry about anyone else drinking MY beer!

Wide
06-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Sure know the ride you did. One of the best place to ride in the world

Nothing but scenery & great roads to clear the head. Cant wait untill I get a long distance cruiser again to spend some time that way

Having good friends along makes it extra special :D

JMAN
06-29-2007, 03:22 AM
Awesome trip & pics....looks like a blast!

Stelis
07-04-2007, 03:12 PM
I did nearly the same ride as you, except in the opposite direction, going from Reno, to SoCal. Highway 85 & 86 is also really spectacular, as is Highway 49. We did that whole stretch in one day all the way to Oakhurst.

Mellisa
07-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Oh yeah, the 49 is so pretty!

DChik99
07-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Melissa,

Great trip and you are right, California does rock. Los Osos to Carson City via highway 49 and Lake Tahoe is an awesome ride. Good thing you missed the fire up in Tahoe--its a damn shame that so many houses were lost.

Robustus
07-12-2007, 04:32 AM
Any chance of getting a map of that ride posted. Sounds like something I'd like to do soon?

Mellisa
07-12-2007, 09:32 PM
I don't know how to make a map on here.....did you want to start at my house? If so, would you need coffee before the trip? Would you be staying the night before? .... Details man, I need detalis.