PDA

View Full Version : smoked stout chicken

D.N.F.
07-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Well I smoked my first whole chicken tonight.

One whole chicken rinsed and dryed.
One half bottle of stout, other half was not wasted.
fresh thyme, garlic, and basil chopped (out of my garden)
cayanne pepper, salt, and paprika

Wash chicken in the mixture of all above.

Hickory smoke at 225 for 3.5 to 4 hours to reach internal temp of 155ish. Baste a few times.

Go to neighbours while it is cooking and drink three pints of honey brown lager homebrew on tap out of his crazy on tap fridge.

Enjoy with a fresh salad also taken from my garden.

Meat was so moist and delish. Guzzle with a few glasses of home made wine.

hiccup bottomsup

Kagan
07-26-2007, 11:23 AM
What'd ya smoke it in? How about pics of the "just before devouring" phase? :D

Shorty
07-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Sounds yummy DNF. And all that garden fresh produce, nice!

Blackcloud41
07-26-2007, 07:20 PM
I've only smoked beef, never poultry. I have however, eaten smoked poultry and it is GOOD. What type smoker did you use? Mine was a pain in the ass and it eventually rusted out. I didn't replace it.

D.N.F.
07-26-2007, 09:58 PM
It is a Centro. Electric with digital display. Plug it in, put a pan of water in, input in the time, input in the temp, and go. Side tube thing allows you to add chips anytime. Bought it at Crappy Tire on sale for $200 It looks like a black bar fridge.

Yes yes it is not a traditional wood fired/charcoal smoker but this is my first smoker and I wanted a low pain in the ass factor. My friend had one that he had to keep restocking with fuel. He used it one summer and then sold it.

Have now done chicken, trout, and ribs. Ribs were too salty but that was the stupid recipe, the ribs were fall of the bone smoky good (whatever the fuck that means).

Scale of complexity for a newbie to smoking foods 2 out of 10.

shaymus
07-26-2007, 10:53 PM
I've never smoked any birds but have done alot of ribs and boston butts. I have an ECB (El cheapo Brinkman) barrel type smoker. When I do ribs I roll them up and put a scewer in them so I can get 3 racks on at a time. I learned it from a youtube video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ND6o47fsJKU

The dry rub I use is Lynchburg rub .
http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/3231/t16409rubri3.gif

It's delicious!! I smoke them for 4-5 hrs at 225. you don't have to watch the whole video you can get the idea as to how I roll them up.

Blackcloud41
07-27-2007, 06:49 AM
lol that dude needs some catfish pliers. He was strugglin'! lol

shaymus
07-27-2007, 06:57 AM
lol that dude needs some catfish pliers. He was strugglin'! lol
Iknow, I just put it up because when I say I roll the ribs up ,alot of ppl don't understand!