PDA

View Full Version : home made tools

junior
08-20-2004, 07:35 PM
thought i'd start a post (maybe for a future red zone topic) on tools that we have made for our bikes that might be copied easily by other in the group. I have a few i'll post today here- i look forward to seeing what the rest of the group has come up with....

the first one here is the now-infamous "coke bottle filter tool". total investmnent- @$1.29 for the coke...

j

junior
08-20-2004, 07:42 PM
here's a main drive gear nut socket i made by buying a regular socker to fit the nut at sears, then cut it in half with a chop saw, then welded a length of pipe between the halves. the white rig you see is a donut that slides over the threds of the input shaft that protecst the threads and also supports the end of the socket during use. the donut was made with a hole saw and my wife's cutting board.

total investment @$18 for the socket, and $2.97 for bandaids once my wife saw what i was doing with her cutting board...

j

junior
08-20-2004, 07:45 PM
ok-

after my limps and bumps from the cutting board incident healed, i still had a rather large piece of delrin (the stuff that the cutting board is made of). so- i cut a couple of pieces out, notched them, then bolted them togther to make a wedging tool for removing the compensator nut and clutch hub nut...

j

junior
08-20-2004, 07:48 PM
this tool was made from a scrap piece of 1-1/2" sch 80 conduit. note that it is slit down the middle- this is important as the ID is a little small for the 41mm tubes.

this will drive both the seals and the bushings for 41mm forks...

j

junior
08-20-2004, 07:53 PM
this one is made from a scrap of 1" sch40 pvc for the 5th gear seal. note the bevel on the driven end. this allows the seal to recess properly as per the manual.

the 5th gear seal is often overlooked while replacing the main drive seal. it is easily removed by cosking it with a punch, then removed using picks. this installer allows the seal to be replaced without transmission disassembly.

j

SchimDog
08-20-2004, 07:53 PM
One word comes to mind...MaGuyver!! :lol:

That is some cool shit Junior.... Any guess on what you saved from having to buy Harley tools??

junior
08-20-2004, 07:57 PM
thanks, schim...

the jims tool for the main drive gear nut is @$125, the fork seal/bushing driver kit is about the same, the wedge is @$50, and the 5th gear driver is likely around $50 as well.

don't get me wrong- i believe in using the proper tools. however, if you can improvise something that can do the job correctly and still leave beer money left over....

win/win i'd say.

j

Wide
08-20-2004, 07:58 PM
Very good stuff Junior.

Yes this is a great topic for an article,
lets gather a few more & tools & write it up :D

wreckerman
08-20-2004, 08:00 PM
junior , very resorcefull and right on the money as we all have done over the years made tools to do the job i have a few also and if i get some time i will post them here ..eather way a well needed post topic

junior
08-20-2004, 08:02 PM
thanks guys...

oh- forgot to add...

the church key you see in the pics is not homemade, but does serve a rather important purpose other than keeping cylindrical objects from rolling forward.....lol

j

rwpatton
08-20-2004, 09:00 PM
Great subject and well worth posting Junior.

I've got a couple to contribute. Just trying to get my new fangled fuji camera to work with my computer. Then I can be a picture posting s.o.b. like the rest of y'all.

Y'all A'int seen redneck engineering at it's finest yet. :P

RW drunks

YYYEEEEHAAAAW IT'S FRIDAY GENT'S and LADY'S

wreckerman
08-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Junior, had a very good idea here. So to keep uit going I snapped some shots of a few of my prize antique tools...

wreckerman
08-29-2004, 11:27 PM
and some more

wreckerman
08-29-2004, 11:34 PM
still more

wreckerman
08-29-2004, 11:40 PM
last one I promise

Wide
08-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Hey Junior I recognize that handwriting, looks like the graffiti downtown here, your not one of those graffiti artists :lol:

Really great tools, keep them cumming if you have more, will put the best ones in a little article on tools :)

junior
08-30-2004, 10:12 PM
Hey Junior I recognize that handwriting, looks like the graffiti downtown here, your not one of those graffiti artists :)

maybe....do your grafitti artists g=have a problem with typos as well?

lol-

j

Wide
09-04-2004, 04:35 AM
Shameless bump

Anyone else with some homemade tools for Harleys?

Joker
09-04-2004, 04:46 AM
Wide
Whats that assembly for????? :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
Joker

Wide
09-04-2004, 04:58 AM
4 speed kick starter
drunks

Joker
09-04-2004, 05:00 AM
Kidding but thanks.
Joker

wreckerman
09-04-2004, 12:51 PM
:lol: wide that is one hell of a homemade tool you posted there :lol:

Wide
09-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Thtas right get me when I'm sleepy :wacko:

wreckerman
09-04-2004, 11:47 PM
sorry wide but don't let it be said, i won't put the boots to you when your down. :lol: :lol: only kidding

Wide
09-05-2004, 12:12 AM
The sorry thing about this, I love the abuse :lol: :lol:

WSUPP
09-17-2004, 02:18 PM
to adjust passing lamps on an fl, simply take a 9/16" long socket and cut a slit in it with a grinder.

johnnyb57
10-07-2004, 02:32 PM
hey thanks wasup..when i did mine was wondering bout that so stupid me went and cut the wire then re-connected it when i was done..Only after i was done bothered by what i had just done.. said shit i guess the only right way to do it was the same that you did...thanx again..hey and heres a cheap bike lift i found the other day...

johnnyb57
10-07-2004, 02:39 PM
the bike stand...[/img]http://nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

xpostman
10-08-2004, 12:26 PM
I built one of those stand/lifts. Youll' have to go to a saw mill to get a 4x8, cause your local home depot doesn't have them. I used 2 2x8s and bolted them together. I also had to use a 2x4 to adapt it to my sporty. BUT it works great!!!

Wide
12-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Another shameless bump :huh:

Lots of good info here for the home mechanic :D

bnaudie
10-18-2005, 04:28 AM
I built one of those stand/lifts. Youll' have to go to a saw mill to get a 4x8, cause your local home depot doesn't have them. I used 2 2x8s and bolted them together. I also had to use a 2x4 to adapt it to my sporty. BUT it works great!!!

Does this rig get the front or rear tire off the ground? Can you choose by placing it backward or forward?

Thanks....

Old_Evo
10-18-2005, 12:30 PM
This homemade lift is just like my steel bike lift that I bought years ago. And it only lifts the rear wheel off the ground.

Kagan
10-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Jumper with built-in fuse. Needed it a few times on my old XL. Damned main breaker had a mind of its own so I just bypassed it when it cut out. 2 months later, H-D issued a breaker recall! ;)

Kagan
10-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Haven't needed it yet, but it's got a locking chuck on one end and a regular chuck on the other. If someone develops a leak, you can give them a couple pounds from a few other riders and at least get to help.

junior
10-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Jumper with built-in fuse. Needed it a few times on my old XL. Damned main breaker had a mind of its own so I just bypassed it when it cut out. 2 months later, H-D issued a breaker recall! ;)

try this- use an identically sized circuit breaker instead of a fuse- that's how mine is- it avoids having to replace the fuse during the short-finding adventure....

fwiw--

j

Rhino
10-18-2005, 09:06 PM
Haven't needed it yet, but it's got a locking chuck on one end and a regular chuck on the other. If someone develops a leak, you can give them a couple pounds from a few other riders and at least get to help.

Kagan,
Are you stealing air outa 4 wheelers again??? Thats a great little thing to have man!

rwpatton
10-20-2005, 04:27 AM
Wow! So simple It makes sense. Never thought of that. Waay cool!

RW

wreckerman
10-20-2005, 09:14 AM
will be makeing one of them my self good idea except i would be steeling air from a car not another bike and there is always a car around just remember you can only steel the same amount of air that is in the tire so 30 psi in the car meens 30 psi in the bike tire , at best

IamVince
10-20-2005, 09:28 AM

Does this rig get the front or rear tire off the ground? Can you choose by placing it backward or forward?

Thanks....
I used mine yesterday to change my front tire.One guy posted that depending on where he put it he could raise
front or back or the whole bike.It worked real good.I didn't have room for my lift so used it.

Mungo
10-20-2005, 02:56 PM
to adjust passing lamps on an fl, simply take a 9/16" long socket and cut a slit in it with a grinder.

I did the same thing too, but don't forget to smooth out the cut edge. With a little torque, the sharp edges will cut those wires in two. I found out the hard way. :wacko:

gliderider94
10-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Very good stuff Junior.

Yes this is a great topic for an article,
lets gather a few more & tools & write it up :D

Article hell, should be a catagory all it's own.

wingnut501
10-25-2005, 02:44 AM
Can this be stickied to the top? Some good stuff here.

BigDog
10-25-2005, 03:04 AM
Try this

GLAD PRESS AND SEAL

Stole it fro the kitchen. Tear off a piece, slide it under the oil filter, bring it up and press it to the front cyl.
Take the bottom side and form a funnel to the drain pan

When your finished just peel it off and dispose of it

Sure saves the mess when changing the filter. Especially on "B" motors

BD

Blackthorne
03-01-2006, 08:16 PM
Junior,

On the fork seal gizmo, I understand that the plastic pipe presses against the bushing/spacer and oilsea...
But how do you actually use it?

Do you push each one down at a time?
Do you do all three at once?

Is the length of the pipethe size needed to simply jamb all three of the bushing/spacer/seal back into place teh same way they all come off at the same time?

Please explain

Thanks

Blackthorne

rwpatton
03-08-2006, 03:40 AM
Blackthorne...welcome t0 HCG.

I'm a day late and a dollar short and Junior missed your question.

Each part is installed one at a time.

Hope this helps.

RW

BigGeorge
04-06-2006, 03:20 PM
For anyone who ever tried to bleed the front brakes by opening the brake bleeder and working the brake lever a million times and finding you wasted 2 hrs and there is still no resistance in the lever. Get a new lever type oil can (very important that the oil can be new and not had motor oil or any type oil in it previously) Get 1/4" fuel line hose. Open the brake bleeder at the caliper. Connect one end of hose to oil can spout the other end put over the brake bleeder that you just opened. (I use tiny hose clamps) Remove the master cyl cap. Fill oil can with brake fluid and start pumping oil can lever (very slowly). Since air has a tendency to rise the air trapped in your brake system will go back up into the master cylinder and in about 2 minutes when no more air is visible in the master cyl close the bleeder on the caliper, disconnect the hose and check your brake lever. This will save you a few hours of frustration :D ............BG

CoolMaker
05-14-2006, 06:17 AM
Juniors bushing and seal driver works like a "Charm"... I just finished putting a chrome front end kit on my 2006 FLHRCI and his "tool" (easy now).... Saved me allot of money from the stealer... Thanks Junior..... ;) Will post pics tomorrow... B)

junior
05-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Great! glad we could help...

j

Lstpan
06-03-2006, 01:19 PM

Thats a great idea. I'll build one of these. Do ya think 1/8" tubeing would maybe cut down on the size? Volume wouldn't be needed in the transfer of air. You could pimp a little off anything along side the rode. Great idea. Mark

Ratbike
06-17-2006, 03:30 PM
First off all let me say that I am not a chromo-haulic by any means, but I hate rust. A few weeks after comming back from the ocean I started to get fuzzy rust on various parts. So I had to polish. I came up with using a cotton jersey glove as an applicator and another one to buff. Saves time and knuckles in tight spots. Now I hope the bike will still run being so shiny.

Lowryder
07-06-2006, 02:40 AM
Not really a Tool but. Took a old elec fuel pump i had in the toolbox,added 3' of gas line to each end, spliced alligater clamps on the wires, Gives a easy fill-up for the ones running the sportster tanks when gas stations are too far apart.

LostLake
08-04-2006, 01:46 PM
This worked great for me when I changed the oil last...

I took a 16" piece of aluminum foil (sorry Trad) and folded it over a couple times so it was thicker and about 6" wide and about 14" long.

I just formed it under my filter and it was super easy to custom bend the end to drip right into my oil pan. I even bent a little lip on the filter end of the foil so the oil wouln't tend to climb over the back side. The foil forms to the bike so it stays in place really well.

When I was done I just threw out the foil.

wreckerman
08-04-2006, 08:33 PM
i know this is supposed to be homemade tools but for anyone in the hd bissness you will remember the name of troog tools they make a lot of the specalty tools anyway he just sold his bissness to a friend of mine who has also worked for him for a few years so i should be able to set something up soon for us to get catalogs from him and maybe discounts for hcg members

CoolMaker
08-05-2006, 03:51 AM
i know this is supposed to be homemade tools but for anyone in the hd bissness you will remember the name of troog tools they make a lot of the specalty tools anyway he just sold his bissness to a friend of mine who has also worked for him for a few years so i should be able to set something up soon for us to get catalogs from him and maybe discounts for hcg members

As soon as you know I will place a Large order.. Thanks Wrecker.. ;)

LostLake
08-29-2006, 05:20 PM
Has anyone ever made a vacuum brake bleeder? I was thinking I could take the Seal-a-Meal from the kitchen and attach the suction hose to a canning jar, then another hose out to the brake bleeder. Turn on the suction, open the bleeder screw a bit and suck the fluid right out while I pour fresh stuff into the reservoir.

This sure would beat pumping the handle.... Any thoughts?

coolhawg6622
08-29-2006, 05:31 PM
This worked great for me when I changed the oil last...

I took a 16" piece of aluminum foil (sorry Trad) and folded it over a couple times so it was thicker and about 6" wide and about 14" long.

I just formed it under my filter and it was super easy to custom bend the end to drip right into my oil pan. I even bent a little lip on the filter end of the foil so the oil wouln't tend to climb over the back side. The foil forms to the bike so it stays in place really well.

When I was done I just threw out the foil.

Recycle it!!!! ;) Just like them damn beer cans ya got layen all over.. :P

LostLake
08-30-2006, 03:32 AM
I don't have DOT 5 fluid or I would have vacuumed out the old stuff and replaced it. I did however get my gas guage replaced that was condensing with water, then a friend stopped by and I was able to suck down a case of beer with him...

He took off at 10pm though, he had a date, and I had to work in the morning....

DeuceDog
09-06-2006, 01:31 AM
Has anyone ever made a vacuum brake bleeder? I was thinking I could take the Seal-a-Meal from the kitchen and attach the suction hose to a canning jar, then another hose out to the brake bleeder. Turn on the suction, open the bleeder screw a bit and suck the fluid right out while I pour fresh stuff into the reservoir.

This sure would beat pumping the handle.... Any thoughts?

It certainly sounds like it would work. I'd think you better make sure you don't have too much vacuum on it and over run your ability to pour in the fresh fluid fast enough. Make sure you can reach the vacuum shutoff.

Let us know if this works, sounds like a good idea to me.

Wide
09-06-2006, 02:20 AM
Has anyone ever made a vacuum brake bleeder?

Yes I have a one man unit thats a true pressure bleeder almost ready for sale. It comes with differnet caps for diff masters.

This is required on the new ABS equipped bikes & works like a $800 unit, will be selling for around $100 boobs

CoolMaker
09-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Has anyone ever made a vacuum brake bleeder?

Yes I have a one man unit thats a true pressure bleeder almost ready for sale. It comes with differnet caps for diff masters.

This is required on the new ABS equipped bikes & works like a $800 unit, will be selling for around $100 boobs

Okay Wide, Am a 60 year old novice ... Already have a vacuum bleeder (pulls 6 CFM a min.), no loss, easy to use... Please tell me why the "Pressure" is better...... Am I missing something elementary here??? :wacko: Thanks... B)

Bubbaglide
09-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Anybody got a good tool for tightening and removing rocker box top cover bolts? Did mine last night and ended up cutting an allen wrench down. WaS a pain in the but to tighten, especialy the front left side bolt. And there is a reason my nickname is Johnny Big Fingers. Help !

Bubba

Stoney
09-20-2006, 01:01 PM
I dont think you got much of a choice on that one,anything you can buys gunna be the same thing. B)

wreckerman
09-20-2006, 08:57 PM
on page 2 i show a red handeled wrech that you can get from matco tools that is made for that job i think it was around 25.00

Thrillseeker
09-27-2006, 12:30 AM
SOme pretty great stuff in this thread.... surprised I didn't see this little guy. I can't take credit for the idea, I only stole the concept.

Used for tightening the nut during a clutch adjustment. Using this allows you to have a T-handle into the set screw so it doesn't move.

I then use an open ended crows foot wrech with my torque wrench
I use the tool on this page to adjust for the offset so I am still torquing properly
http://engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/torque_wrench_1.htm

dls8
05-07-2007, 08:31 AM
Wreckerman said:
on page 2 i show a red handeled wrech that you can get from matco tools that is made for that job i think it was around 25.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you buy one of these awesome tools, get a few of the replacement bits too. They will break and are not warranteed!

junior
11-18-2007, 05:51 AM
an engine stand from an old bed frame....

i needed to store an engine and did not have an engine stand for a tc88. but i did have an old bedframe.....

j

wreckerman
11-18-2007, 08:59 PM
good going junior might say you put your tc88 to rest ha ha

junior
11-18-2007, 11:05 PM
lol......

i guess my point with this is that most home made tools can be put together with items you already have.....

j

Nitram_b4
01-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Have not done much work on my TC 88 but my old shovel, I did alot of engine work and never paid for any special tooling....then again I always could walk into a machine shop at work and make anything I wanted

SuperSport
01-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Anybody got a good tool for tightening and removing rocker box top cover bolts? Did mine last night and ended up cutting an allen wrench down. WaS a pain in the but to tighten, especialy the front left side bolt. And there is a reason my nickname is Johnny Big Fingers. Help !

Bubba

Take the tank off and use a torque wrench. You shouldn't be twisting anything into aluminum heads without one.

nucklheadsports
01-22-2010, 06:41 AM
Anyone with a Harley and empty wallet can understand the need for some homemade tools. There have been several times that I have had to borrow some tool instead of force myself to buy it. Some times it even helps to have some tools used on old pickups. They made one that was used to compress the front break disk holder on old Chevy trucks that can be turned into the tool needed to compress the clutch on a 1980 Sportster. I just had to figure out how to bolt it to the inner primary chain cover. With something like that you can easily work on the clutch and save enough money to buy some parts for it. Good luck.

roxnroller
08-27-2012, 04:31 PM
where do you use the wedge