PDA

View Full Version : TACTIC OF THE WEEK #1-05

Drebbin
01-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Over the years I have had the fun and privelage of teaching police officers, military and others about various observation skills and associated uses. Vehicle observation while moving in traffic was critical.

Here's a tactic that you might try next time you are on the super slab in less congested areas or a nice US highway far from a busy city. Once you get good at it in those areas you can work up to doing it in busy areas too perhaps. This is a observation skills exercise that you can use riding or driving.

Observation skills are a "perishable skill" - use em or lose em.

As you are riding, note a vehicle close to you. As a proficient rider, you are watching that vehicle - among other things - for movement, intention, etc.

Try these during your observation. Not all at once, work up to it:

1. What state is the license plate ? Not from around here? Be more watchful - an unfamiliar tourist or business traveller is more likely to make abrupt moves.

2. Can you see that the driver is paying attention? Or are there "erratic" movements from inside the car like an argument going on ?

3. Is the driver on a cell phone ? Enough said.

4. While you are behind the car, can you see anything hanging from underneath; muffler, debris, etc.

5. Can you smell anything? Burning brakes, anti-freeze, gas, oil?

6. Is something spraying on your windshield or face shield or goggles?

7. Is the vehicle trunk secure or precariously carrying a load that can fall out into your path?

Nope. I am NOT recommending that you select a random car and conduct surveillance on it for the day !!! (L O L)

These are just some suggestions that will help you:

- pass the time on longer trips

- identify potential hazards

- increase your observation skills.

I know that when you travel the highway now you are already noting mile markers, exit numbers and other landmarks that will help you get assistance if you have to pull off with a disabled bike. This observation skills exercise will add to your riding enjoyment and your safety.

YOU HAVE JUST READ "TACTIC OF THE WEEK #1-05" !!!!
DID YOU FIND THIS HELPFUL ?
DO YOU HAVE MORE TO ADD TO HELP OUR FELLOW RIDERS ?

RIDE ALWAYS, FLY NEVER, DREBBIN

Horse
01-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Derbbin

Vehicle condition, damage to vehicle and location of damage,
can tell you a lot about the driver.

Vehicles with any non- functioning lights

Lane changers who do not signal their intent,
or signal after starting a lane change.

Drivers who do not sit directly behind the steering wheel.

Drivers - that cause other drivers to brake (i.e. lane changers
that cause the vehicle behind them to brake)

Vehicles with several passengers, more potential distractions.

Drivers that have to turn their body to see other drivers, especially
if changing lanes.

Drebbin
01-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Derbbin

Vehicle condition, damage to vehicle and location of damage,
can tell you a lot about the driver.

Vehicles with any non- functioning lights

Lane changers who do not signal their intent,
or signal after starting a lane change.

Drivers who do not sit directly behind the steering wheel.

Drivers - that cause other drivers to brake (i.e. lane changers
that cause the vehicle behind them to brake)

Vehicles with several passengers, more potential distractions.

Drivers that have to turn their body to see other drivers, especially
if changing lanes.

YOU ARE ON YOUR GAME BROTHER RIDER !!!!

MLC
01-01-2005, 08:56 PM
good post. as a new rider i can always use tips from you senior members. thanks. keep'em coming.

wreckerman
01-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Good post. I've been doing this for years, now I know why kind of goes with my rule of always make eye contact at intersections.

hogwylde
01-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Another "vehicle condition" to beware of are tractor trailer rigs. NEVER-EVER stay directly behind one or stay to long in the blind spots while passing. Pass them and do it quickly. Having pieces of re-tread tires coming at ya can do some major damage.......and more.

Drebbin
01-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Another "vehicle condition" to beware of are tractor trailer rigs. NEVER-EVER stay directly behind one or stay to long in the blind spots while passing. Pass them and do it quickly. Having pieces of re-tread tires coming at ya can do some major damage.......and more.

SO TRUE. IF YOU CAN'T SEE THEIR MIRRORS - THEY CAN'T SEE YOU.