PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Ultra Classic Height

Bikeman
01-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Hi all;

Caught the bug on a new Ultra Classic. Mainly for 3 reasons. 1) Radio; 2) Cruise Control; 3) Back Rest. I ride long distances and put 8-10K per year on a bike. I have a 2004 Heritage that I love now, however, the added convenience of the 3 above mentioned items would make the trip so much more enjoyable.

I though about adding all of the above to my Heritage but I'm not sure what the radio would look like on the bike. If I add all of the above up parts and labor I'm close to $3000 for the ones I want.

So I rode an Ultra today. I'm right at 5' 10" and can stand flat fooded with the bike. But that is it. I can not lean the bike over as far as I can my Heritage.

So here are my questions:

1) Height issue? I'm I just trying to talk myself out of an Ultra or will my lack of Height be in issue?

2) What are your opinions on adding everything to the Heritage?

3) Other suggestions?

Bikeman

buckanddot
01-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Even with all those options bro, your heritage will never be an Ultra. If you really need all those things, you probalbly need the Ultra. Therein, IMHO, lies the difference between the two. If your wanting for those options, I think the others that would come with the Ultra, i.e. added and lockable storage,added protection from the elements from the full fairing and lowers, and the comfort of a touring bike seat and suspension, would also appeal to you. Now if looks and style are more important, then I bet you stay with the softail. But it will never ride like a FLH.

Ride safe, Buck.

P.S. lowerin a FLH is fairly inexpensive, $300-$450, front and rear and really lowers the center of gravity. I lowered my RK Classic an inch and made a world of a difference without sacrificing ride.

ken6217
01-01-2005, 09:31 PM
I bought a '05 Ultra Classic in September. I love it. This is my first HD. Before this I had a Ducati. My last bike was a Victory Cruiser. I also am 5' 10" (165 lbs) and have no problem with the bike. Here are a couple of pics if they upload.

Ken

wreckerman
01-01-2005, 09:45 PM
As posted above, the ultra can be lowered by seat or suspension. If you want the ultimate touring experience with all the bells and whistles, go with the Ultra. If you really like the ride of your fatboy, then modify it, just remember that's what it will look like and over dressed wanna-be ultra. Don't think you would be happy after sticking $3000.00 in and not having a smooth flowing line to the bike. Have you ever considered platform boots? :lol: :lol: just kidding couldn't resist.

Horse
01-01-2005, 10:19 PM
buckanddot, ken6217 and wreckerman all great advice.

Bikeman,, your on the road to the Ultra Classic from what I read in your post. It's the ride that should be your first consideration, don't get me wrong the FatBoy is a great, great machine but is definitely a different animal than the Ultra. Sure dressing out the FatBoy is an option but I think you would only be delaying the inevitable.

Floridahawg
01-13-2005, 10:30 AM
I'd personally say Ultra and lower it.

Hawg

whodatt
01-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Hey Bikeman, I have an Ultra and I'm shorter than you! :lol: I don't have any problems with riding, and that includes when my wife is on the back. If you are uncomfortable with it you can always lower it, although I'm not sure how that will affect your cornering clearances. I'm sure that someone else here has some experience with that and will elaborate on it soon.

I can just barely sit with my feet flat on the groung and my knees slightly bent, but I feel very comfortable on it. Maybe you should go to a dealer and rent one for a day and see how you do on it. I think that would be the best way for you to make in informed decision, rather than one you might regret.

Just my .02 cents.