Drebbin
01-04-2005, 10:40 PM
The Associated Press State & Local Wire

January 2, 2005, Sunday, BC cycle

HEADLINE: Female motorcycle officer revels in demanding job

BYLINE: By MIRSADA BURIC-ADAM, The Daily Courier

DATELINE: PRESCOTT, Ariz.

BODY:
A growing number of women are entering the field of law enforcement, but only a handful of them patrol the state's roadways on a motorcycle.

Officer Rene Audsley-Reiter is one of only three women with the Department of Public Safety who has been enforcing traffic laws on a motorcycle for the past four years.

In December, she joined the local DPS crew. She is now the only female officer in the Prescott area who has skills and training to patrol local highways on a 750-pound motorcycle.

Audsley-Reiter said that she has never worked two-lane highways before. However, she noted that it is a much more relaxed environment than the one in the metropolitan area of Phoenix, where she worked for the past 15 years.

Coming from a family with some history in law enforcement, she said she decided to become an officer because she wanted to help people.

"It is a very rewarding job," said the Phoenix native. "It is always different. You are doing the same type of job. But no accident is the same. No arrest is the same."

During her tenure with DPS, Audsley-Reiter has performed various duties.

"I was in criminal investigation and narcotics and I have worked for asset forfeiture and governor's security" during Gov. Jane Hull's term, she said.

In addition, she attended an intense motorcycle school twice to obtain the skills and strength necessary to operate a police motorcycle.

Audsley-Reiter said she prefers riding a motorcycle over driving a patrol vehicle.

"It is much easier to get in and out of traffic," she said. "We don't have to chase people on foot. We just ride along."

She said police motorcycle training is more intense than the one that is available for civilians.

She said one of the reasons many female officers do not want to ride a motorcycle is because they do not want to wear a helmet during hot seasons or put up with the cold weather. And if an accident occurs and the motorcycle rolls over one's body, "you have to be able to lift it up," she explained.

In addition to her demanding job, Audsley-Reiter's five children between ages 3 and 9 keep her and her husband very busy.

Officer Audsley-Reiter said she moved to the Prescott area not only to stay and to raise her children, but to earn her retirement.

DPS District Commander Frank Lopez said Audsley-Reiter's focus will be on a stretch of Highway 69 between Prescott and Prescott Valley in addition to other duties.

She said she has never felt intimidated working along with the male patrol officers.

"I never felt out of the ordinary," she said.

TexasFatBoy
01-05-2005, 12:51 AM
YOU GO GIRL!

Good for her - if she can hang with the fellas and do an effective job, more power to her. B)

Horse
01-05-2005, 01:14 AM
Excellent,

I wonder how many other women LEO’s ride?

BikerBabe
01-05-2005, 02:21 AM
woot for the Lady Law!

Scarecrow
01-05-2005, 03:06 AM
We had one here up until very recently. I'm not sure why I haven't seen her lately, but I know she always raved about liking her job. That woman rode to and from work over 25 miles daily in all weather.

I'm gonna have to enquire on her whereabouts.

TomF
01-05-2005, 03:49 AM
I'm planning a bike trip to Prescott to visit relatives. Hope I don't run into her! If she's not worried about her hair or being able to lift her bike, I figure she's someone to be reckoned with!! :o whip ip

momsridin
01-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Three Cheers for the Lady Law!!!!! I have to say I've worked with a few gals in uniform that were very impressive. They often bring folks in for medical clearance prior to transport to jail. I've seen one or 2 of these gals in action and boy was I impressed. One in particular is short in stature, soft spoken, and attractive but I tell ya what. I wouldn't want to piss her off she's tough as nails.