PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

Wanker
01-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Hi
I have a Electraglide Classic 2001. My fuel pump does not shut off. Also when I start the bike it idles low even when cold. Any ideas?

Thanks

SuperSport
01-13-2008, 03:53 AM
Yes. And Welcome to HCG! From whence do you hale?

xxxflhrci
01-13-2008, 05:08 AM
What do you mean the fuel pump doesn't shut off?

The idling slow is mostly likely one of two things:

1.) Marelli injected bikes, which yours is, sometimes lose the curb idle setting and need to be reset. It is a really simple process that takes about 10 minutes. You can find the process in a factory service manual or

1. - Run bike till hot.
2. - Take off air cleaner.
3. - Use #10 Torx driver to turn idle screw clockwise to speed up idle. The screw is in a hole at about the 4 o'clock position on the air cleaner backing plate.
4. - Once the idle is set, turn off bike and pull ECM fuse (under right side cover) for about 10 minutes.

2.) Your fast idle solenoid has gone bad. This is a small plunger looking thing on the right side of the throttle body. You should see it move when you power up the bike. If it has gone bad, you can replace it easily. It simply plugs in and is held in place with two screws. They are 85 bucks. They are not needed. All this thing does is crack the throttle a smidge on a cold start to give you a fast idle. You can do the same thing by holding the throttle a bit open with the friction screw. My actuator died under warranty once and was replaced. It died again several years ago. I did not replace it and do not miss it.

wreckerman
01-13-2008, 05:38 PM
fuel pump keeps running , sounds like you have a bad hose inside the tank , and it wont let it build pressure also that could account for the poor ideal not enough fuel being delevered

xxxflhrci
01-13-2008, 05:58 PM
I see "fuel pump keeps running" more clearly now.....Yep, wrecker is right. You likely have a hole rubbed in a fuel line. It is common.

Wanker
01-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks a lot guys, great advice, you guys really know your stuff. I will keep you posted.

Derek

CoolMaker
01-13-2008, 10:27 PM
fuel pump keeps running , sounds like you have a bad hose inside the tank , and it wont let it build pressure also that could account for the poor ideal not enough fuel being delevered

Good call Wrecker, if the hose is Okay, check the fuel pump regulator.. ;)

junior
01-14-2008, 12:15 AM
actually, the fuel pump should run all the time. if it doesn't, you stop. it doesn't cycle, but rather bypasses extra fuel (beyond regulator setpoint) pressure back into the tank....

however, with the bike off (no engine run reference) and the key on it should start and shut off.

fwiw-

j