PDA

View Full Version : Swarm of earthquakes hits Californee

Wide
01-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Were shakin rattlin & rollin here today

Earthquake Hits Fontana Area
# No Injuries Reported

Jan 6, 2005 11:00 am US/Pacific
FONTANA, Calif. (AP) A swarm of earthquakes, with the largest a magnitude-4.4, rattled San Bernardino County on Thursday, but there were no reports of injuries or major damage, officials said.

The earthquakes started early Tuesday with a magnitude-3.1 temblor centered about a mile north of Fontana and continued with nearly a dozen earthquakes in the same area, said Kate Hutton, a seismologist at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.

The magnitude-4.4 quake hit at 6:35 a.m. Thursday after magnitude-3.3 and magnitude-3.6 temblors struck earlier in the morning.

The 4.4 quake was felt as far away as the Fairfax area in Los Angeles and in southern Orange County, Hutton said. Fontana is located about 55 miles east of downtown Los Angeles.

Earthquake swarms typically build for a day or so then die down, Hutton said. Another magnitude-3 quake was likely, but there was only a remote chance of another magnitude-4.4, she said.

The temblors have been categorized as strike-slip quakes, which occur when faults move horizontally, Hutton said. The quakes did not occur on the San Jacinto or Cucamonga faults -- two major faults in the area -- and likely erupted on smaller faults, she said.

The quakes knocked picture frames from a fireplace mantle and toppled Christmas ornaments at a home in Rialto while setting off car alarms on nearby streets.

There were no reports of serious damage or injuries, a fire department official said.

LOOK HERE (http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/) for a live map of Californee earthquakes

:D

junior
01-06-2005, 08:28 PM
you guys rockin' and rollin' again? let me know if ya get anything around a 7.0 or so so's i can head for the high ground....

j

gliderider94
01-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Hey Wide, can I interest you in some ocean front property in Arizona?
:lol:

Wide
01-06-2005, 09:03 PM
you guys rockin' and rollin' again? let me know if ya get anything around a 7.0 or so so's i can head for the high ground....

j

You'll know if it happens, I'll post it here & head for the hills myself, I am about 20' elivation, feets dont fail me now :o

TexasFatBoy
01-06-2005, 09:04 PM
You sure it was an earthquake and not just Wide gettin' a little overzealous with the margarita blender? B)

tradrockrat
01-07-2005, 04:00 AM

j

You'll know if it happens, I'll post it here & head for the hills myself, I am about 20' elivation, feets dont fail me now :o

Get over the hill behind ya and crash at my place. No water ought to make it this far in...I hope.

Wide
01-07-2005, 04:24 AM
I just dug out my boogie board & tied it to the balcony.

I'm ready drunks

tradrockrat
01-07-2005, 05:10 AM
I just dug out my boogie board & tied it to the balcony.

I'm ready drunks

In that case, I might hang out at your place. That's one thing I ought to see!