View Full Version : IF YOU HAD TO ----

Drebbin
01-07-2005, 01:05 AM
ride for:

- at least 70 miles

- in the rain

- at night

- on the superslab

What gear would you use and how wld you prevent fogging of your optics ?

DREBBIN

junior
01-07-2005, 01:09 AM
seems that adding some kind of a reflective vest (lotsa guys use the ones like the road crews) would help others see you better....and rubbing spit (yours, whoevers) on the inside of the eyewear helps prevent fogging...

j

TexasFatBoy
01-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Throw on the frog togs, either spit clean the glasses or, since I got stuck like that once, squirt a little diver's no-fog on 'em, and off I go, more slowly than normal, but goin' anyway.

NY90
01-07-2005, 01:13 AM
I'd run fourth gear. This would allow me to engine brake without too much use of the disc brakes. Lessens the chance of loosing traction.
The higher revs would also make me more audible to those around me.
And the spit thing..yup.

Horse
01-07-2005, 01:17 AM
Agree with 90fxr,,,,,

NY90
01-07-2005, 01:19 AM
Agree with 90fxr,,,,,

Hey Horse, we're all friends here, call me 90. :)

Let me add that even though disc brakes are more efficient when wet, I still don't trust them.

savantage
01-07-2005, 01:28 AM
Done it. Ran about 40, fourth I think, and just flipped the visor of my ff up.

Horse
01-07-2005, 01:34 AM
Hey Horse, we're all friends here, call me 90.

OK 90 it is.

MLC
01-07-2005, 02:13 AM
Thanks for tips guys. Keep em coming Drebbin, I'm picking up all kinds of saftey tips I'll try and practice.

NY90
01-07-2005, 02:21 AM
Thanks for tips guys. Keep em coming Drebbin, I'm picking up all kinds of saftey tips I'll try and practice.

Whoa! Slow down a second.
I wouldn't take my post to heart until someone a little more knowledgable agrees. No offense Horse.
Where are ya Drebbin?

tradrockrat
01-07-2005, 03:39 AM
When I find myself in that situation I did the following things
1. The spit thing - no brainer If it is (was) a full face, lifted the visor one click only to vent. It works great.
2.Full rain gear including boots and gloves
3. Keep the high beam on of its not pouring
4. Go 15-20 under the speed limit
5. keep the engine revs up, but not too high, you're asking for a spin out of the rear wheel.
6. Slow more than normal for EVERY turn
7. Depending on temp outside - STOP - for a rest halfway home. Remember, a 70 mile trip at 45 miles an hour takes around an hour and a half, and it is a mentally exhausting job.

On a side note, if I don't have to be on the super slab, I won't. Take a side road, trust me.

Drebbin
01-07-2005, 11:28 AM

Whoa! Slow down a second.
I wouldn't take my post to heart until someone a little more knowledgable agrees. No offense Horse.
Where are ya Drebbin?

Not sure which u r referring to ? The disc brake comment ? DREBBIN

NY90
01-07-2005, 11:34 AM
I never took an MSF course. I offered my opinion to how I would handle the situation posed by you.
Whether I was right or wrong, I would wait for a more knowledgeable person, such as yourself, to give the proper , and safest response.

Drebbin
01-07-2005, 11:38 AM
I never took an MSF course. I offered my opinion to how I would handle the situation posed by you.
Whether I was right or wrong, I would wait for a more knowledgeable person, such as yourself, to give the proper , and safest response.

Understood. I put this one out there so riders cld share their experiences & lessons learned for this more hazardous type of riding. We'll see what comes in & maybe compile a list of "suggested" practices. Fair enough ?

DREBBIN

NY90
01-07-2005, 11:41 AM

Understood. I put this one out there so riders cld share their experiences & lessons learned for this more hazardous type of riding. We'll see what comes in & maybe compile a list of "suggested" practices. Fair enough ?

DREBBIN

Cool!
I would never forgive myself if a fellow rider went down, or god forbid, worse, because he or she took my advice. And then it turned out to be bad advise! :(

gliderider94
01-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Adverse weather is just all the more reason to give more serious consideration to you bar stops.
:lol:
But seriously, I've been riding for thirty years and only recently purchased a rain suit. My usual practice was to don my leathers and put on my chaps. The only time I EVER wear my chaps is when its raining. It's not that I'm some sort of tough guy or anything, but being a big fat guy I hate the effort it takes to put the damn things on. Usually I just get wet and slow down a bit. If it's during the daytime I will change from my sunglasses to my regular glasses if I can find a safe place to pull over and do so.

I keep the shorty windshield on my dresser. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a fairing, but I find that visibility in the rain is better if I'm only looking through one layer of wet beaded protection (my glasses) instead of two.

Haven't used the rain suit yet. Everytime I got into a situation where I might want to wear it, by the time I decide to stop and put it on I'm already wet. Besides, if you don't like getting wet, get a car.
:D

tradrockrat
01-07-2005, 07:38 PM
I hear ya bear, but when I was living in Maryland, there were acouple of years where we got as much rain as Seattle! I don't mind being wet, but not every damn day! So now it's habit, if it's raining, I wear my suit. Plus, it sucks to be soaking wet at work (which I would be right now if I hadn't put my rain suit on to ride to work -- We've had more rain in the last ten days than we've had for the last three years!!)

TomF
01-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Everything Trad said, plus:
- Double or tripple following distances
- No quick moves, no quick acceleration, and no quick stops
- Avoid any discoloration on the road. Oily patches get REAL slick in the rain
- high viz vest even though it looks dorky. The Scotchlite is amazing at making you visible.
- When riding in the rain, I also periodically give my breaks a gentle, constant squeeze to get the water and any built up sludge off the rotors, and I pump my brakes a little at stops to make sure they're gripping and to show my brake lights more.

The only thing I might do differently than Trad is taking the break. If it's only 70 miles, I would evaluate whether it's better to just push on and get out of the rotten weather. If I feel the least little bit tired, drowsy or mentally fatigued though, I would definitely take the break.

tradrockrat
01-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Good points TomF

Fxsts103ci
01-13-2005, 04:13 PM
My experiance riding home from the 100th 3 days of driving rain.. 7 inches alone in Indiana.

1. Rain gear is a must as even in 75* weather your will get hypothermia..

2. Slow down

3. spit on the inside of the specks or use shaving cream to clean them works like anti fog.

4. High beams and flashers . If the person behind u dont see ya your in a world of hurt.

5. Stay back and stay away from trucks if possible as the spray off the tires far worse than any driving rain. Almost no visability without wipers

6. And when ya stop for the night make sure the hotel has a hot tub!!!

Drebbin
01-13-2005, 04:43 PM
My experiance riding home from the 100th 3 days of driving rain.. 7 inches alone in Indiana.

1. Rain gear is a must as even in 75* weather your will get hypothermia..

2. Slow down

3. spit on the inside of the specks or use shaving cream to clean them works like anti fog.

4. High beams and flashers . If the person behind u dont see ya your in a world of hurt.

5. Stay back and stay away from trucks if possible as the spray off the tires far worse than any driving rain. Almost no visability without wipers

6. And when ya stop for the night make sure the hotel has a hot tub!!!

VERY well put, thnx, DREBBIN

BillNC
01-27-2005, 11:42 PM
I would stay in the right 3rd of the right lane and watch hard for lights coming up behind me.

wreckerman
01-28-2005, 12:53 AM
first and formost reduce speed a little not so much that i become a opstacal in the path of other cars , next put on clear glasses i keep them waxed up and in my bags along with a good rain suit and gloves , next use a bandana around my nose and mouth to reduse fogging or use my oygen mask with the hose tucked into my rain suit and finily put on my foreways to add in my visablity