PDA

View Full Version : Help! 2004 Sporster electrical problem

Stradocaster
03-22-2008, 10:58 AM
SO, drivin' my '04 Sporster 883 into work today, and as I pull into the lot the power completely cuts out! No engine, no electrical, nothing. I fiddle with the switch a few times and still, dead. The bike was working fine all day (and always for that matter, I just bought it a few months ago)

Help!

junior
03-22-2008, 11:07 AM
hey bud- welcome to the madhouse.....

they didn't once call these things the "milwaukee vibrator" for nothing. start with the easy stuff- likely a loose or corroded ground or hot lead. start by checking the battery connections, then look at frame grounds and connectors....

let us know....

j

Stradocaster
03-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Hmm, that all makes sense. I kind of did that, but the problem is I don't know where the grounds are and couldn't find them (during rushed inspection, at least) can you guide me? I spoke w/ a tech on the phone and all he said was "on the transmission". I'm no idiot, I work on my car all the time, I'm just not familiar with the layout of the bike.

Thanks

junior
03-22-2008, 10:00 PM
since the xl's are a unitized engine/trans, the trans area would be rearward of the crank center. i am not a sporty guy, so i can't give you exact locations, but just look for any wires or cables bolted directly to a frame tab or the engine/trans unit.

j