View Full Version : FL: Motorcycle accident hurts 4-year-old rider

Drebbin
01-08-2005, 12:57 AM
The Bradenton Herald

January 6, 2005 Thursday EST EDITION

HEADLINE: Motorcycle accident hurts 4-year-old rider

DATELINE: MANATEE

BODY:
A 4-year-old was airlifted to a St. Petersburg hospital Tuesday night after the motorcycle he was a passenger on skidded out of control.

According to a report from the Florida Highway Patrol, John Walker Mathews, 29, was speeding on his 1995 Yamaha motorcycle east along 36th Avenue West, just east of State Road 45, at 9:19 p.m. Tuesday when he hit the brakes. The motorcycle left 171 feet of skid marks before overturning on its right side, ejecting Mathews and the child, who were not wearing helmets, the report stated. The motorcycle slid another 31 feet before coming to a rest.

Troopers arrested Mathews on charges of child endangerment, driving without a license and having no motorcycle endorsement. According to the report, a blood test determined Mathews had been drinking. Additional charges are pending.

TexasFatBoy
01-08-2005, 01:02 AM
The motorcycle left 171 feet of skid marks before overturning on its right side, ejecting Mathews and the child, who were not wearing helmets, the report stated. The motorcycle slid another 31 feet before coming to a rest.

OK, it's one thing to endanger your own life, but not a child's life. While I respect a rider's right to choose, I think children deserve a little protection and would not oppose a law requiring children to wear helmets when passengers.

Now just how fast did this knucklehead have to be going to leave those kind of skid marks? Oh yea, and drinkin' to boot! caged

Sorry for the rant, but this one just pisses me off.

Drebbin
01-08-2005, 01:15 AM
The motorcycle left 171 feet of skid marks before overturning on its right side, ejecting Mathews and the child, who were not wearing helmets, the report stated. The motorcycle slid another 31 feet before coming to a rest.

OK, it's one thing to endanger your own life, but not a child's life. While I respect a rider's right to choose, I think children deserve a little protection and would not oppose a law requiring children to wear helmets when passengers.

Now just how fast did this knucklehead have to be going to leave those kind of skid marks? Oh yea, and drinkin' to boot! caged

Sorry for the rant, but this one just pisses me off.

Yep. Now there's one we wld not rehabilitate !

Horse
01-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Lets step back,
a four year old on a motorcycle,
speeding,
drinking,
no license,
no motorcycle endorsement,
the 4-year-old was airlifted to a St. Petersburg hospital

This SOB should be charged with
child endangerment and much more.

And when he gets of his ass should be kicked into
last week.

Drebbin
01-08-2005, 01:26 AM
Lets step back,
a four year old on a motorcycle,
speeding,
drinking,
no license,
no motorcycle endorsement,
the 4-year-old was airlifted to a St. Petersburg hospital

This SOB should be charged with
child endangerment and much more.

And when he gets of his ass should be kicked into
last week.

Horse, there are many group therapy sessions available that cld help you more effectively accept those that aren't.............. (LOL) JUST RIBBIN YA BRO ! I'M WITH YA ! DREBBIN

momsridin
01-08-2005, 03:11 AM
OK Now Mom's really ill! A 4year old will more than likely lose it's life or be forever more damaged. Bring that driver to me. I may need you guys to hold him while I get started but shouldn't take long till I can hold my own with a good baseball bat. Idiot deserves to be beaten to death slowly. My one major question is who's child was this and who allowed him to take the child while he was under the influence? I really wish times weren't so P.C. There was a time when there would be no trial for this sorta garbage. Just a reconing. caged Ok Stepping of the soap box now.

BikerBabe
01-08-2005, 03:54 AM
The poor kid..you all said it right...the guy's an ass%&*#*!! At the least, put a helmet on the child! And isn't that a bit young to be on a bike anyway?

01-08-2005, 03:57 AM
I live about 30 miles away in the neighboring County. I'll try to keep you posted on this one.

I'd like to know who the 4-year belonged to...the rider, a friend, and who would give a 4-year-old to a drunk, unlicensed driver without a motorcycle endorsement, for a ride?

Sounds like more than one person is at fault!

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradentonherald/news/local/10576014.htm

Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill 'em.

NY90
01-08-2005, 04:10 AM
OK Now Mom's really ill! A 4year old will more than likely lose it's life or be forever more damaged. Bring that driver to me. I may need you guys to hold him while I get started but shouldn't take long till I can hold my own with a good baseball bat. Idiot deserves to be beaten to death slowly. My one major question is who's child was this and who allowed him to take the child while he was under the influence? I really wish times weren't so P.C. There was a time when there would be no trial for this sorta garbage. Just a reconing. caged Ok Stepping of the soap box now.

I'm with mom on this one.Ya want to kill yourself, fine.
But, what the heck did the kid do to deserve this?

Mom, are you originally a New Yorker? :lol:

momsridin
01-08-2005, 04:18 AM

I'm with mom on this one.Ya want to kill yourself, fine.
But, what the heck did the kid do to deserve this?

Mom, are you originally a New Yorker? :lol:
I think it's just the redneck in us all ;)

xxxflhrci
01-08-2005, 09:00 AM
[quote="TexasFatBoy"][quote]I think children deserve a little protection and would not oppose a law requiring children to wear helmets when passengers.

/quote]

Florida already has that law. You gotta be over 21 to go helmetless.

Drebbin
01-08-2005, 11:37 AM
FLORIDA CODE INFO ON HELMET USE. I WONDER IF THIS NIMROD COMPLIED WITH ALL SECTIONS.

316.211 Equipment for motorcycle and moped riders.
(1) A person may not operate or ride upon a motorcycle unless the person is properly wearing protective headgear securely fastened upon his or her head which complies with Federal Motorcycle Vehicle Safety Standard 218 promulgated by the United States Department of Transportation. The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall adopt this standard by agency rule.

(2) A person may not operate a motorcycle unless the person is wearing an eye-protective device over his or her eyes of a type approved by the department.

(3)(a) This section does not apply to persons riding within an enclosed cab or to any person 16 years of age or older who is operating or riding upon a motorcycle powered by a motor with a displacement of 50 cubic centimeters or less or is rated not in excess of 2 brake horsepower and which is not capable of propelling such motorcycle at a speed greater than 30 miles per hour on level ground.

(b) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a person over 21 years of age may operate or ride upon a motorcycle without wearing protective headgear securely fastened upon his or her head if such person is covered by an insurance policy providing for at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of a crash while operating or riding on a motorcycle.

(4) A person under 16 years of age may not operate or ride upon a moped unless the person is properly wearing protective headgear securely fastened upon his or her head which complies with Federal Motorcycle Vehicle Safety Standard 218 promulgated by the United States Department of Transportation.

(5) The department shall make available a list of protective headgear approved in this section, and the list shall be provided on request.

(6) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

anarchy
01-12-2005, 07:35 PM
to take the discussion is a slightly different direction...

isn't 4 years old a little young to be on a bike??

i'm asking because we have a little guy (21 months) at home. my wife and i have (briefly) talked about what age he would be old enough to ride. i, joking, say 5 years old. my wife says 8 years old. to be prefectly honest, i think there are factors other than age that should determine when a child can/should ride. factors like size, maturity, etc. while i can't wait to get the little guy on the bike, i think his safety is far more important. if i don't feel he's ready until he's 8, so be it... if he's not ready until he's 10, then he'll have to wait...

what are your thoughts??

TexasFatBoy
01-12-2005, 07:52 PM
I agree the maturity of the child will play a much larger role than the age. Also, their physical attributes will have an effect and the final decision should be made by the well-informed and cuatious parents. Although they do make straps and harnesses that can be used to place a child behind you on the bike and secure them, particularly if they may be prone to fall asleep back there.

I do know that Hellswraith's eight year old son rode with us for almost 300 miles on the HCG Hill Country Ride last October - kid was a trooper all day!

yamahonkawazuki
01-15-2005, 01:01 PM
hey mom we're in the same state, ill join ya, for a lil pain, back yer scoot up to this jacka[self censored]es testicles, andohh i dunno, maybe roast yer tires?, i can think of many things to cause immense pain. k id better stop and go bottomsup , b4 i get worked up

momsridin
01-15-2005, 09:32 PM
hey mom we're in the same state, ill join ya, for a lil pain, back yer scoot up to this jacka[self censored]es testicles, andohh i dunno, maybe roast yer tires?, i can think of many things to cause immense pain. k id better stop and go bottomsup , b4 i get worked up

Sounds good to me but :huh: I don't know how to do a burn out yet. Guess you'll just have to hold him while I whip out the trusty ball bat. :lol:

yamahonkawazuki
01-15-2005, 10:58 PM
:) ehh, why not :D

momsridin
01-16-2005, 04:02 AM
:) ehh, why not :D

I just started riding in October. :( Give me time. I'll get there. :D

WolfSpectre
01-16-2005, 05:41 AM
A good public flogging would be a decent start for this asshole. If it is someone else's child and they knowingly allowed this to happen, they can join him.

OldSalt
01-16-2005, 06:10 AM
I was out riding the other day and a couple guys on crtovh rockets were doing wheelies down one of our busier streets in town. Well we ended up at the same stop light and I pointed out to these two young fellas that they were giving us bikers a bad name. They were a little surprised at my bluntness.

This guy did the same thing by hurting that poor baby. Just gives the rest of us a bad name with his reckless behavior. I hope that aby survives and come out ok. As for the guy that hurt the child with his irresponsible behavior -- death or a wheelchair would be about fair.

hunter
01-16-2005, 04:05 PM
I give my 2 yr old granddaughter a few rides on my bike, she loves it. She wears a helmet and eye protection. SHe sits in front of me and rides very well.I just putt around town with her. we live in a very small town so not much traffic at all. But it scares me. Looking back I made a poor decesion. I wish id have waited on letting her ride. now if she is here and my bike is out she wants to go. it would really confuse her if I stopped letting her go for a ride.

Drebbin
01-17-2005, 01:55 AM
I give my 2 yr old granddaughter a few rides on my bike, she loves it. She wears a helmet and eye protection. SHe sits in front of me and rides very well.I just putt around town with her. we live in a very small town so not much traffic at all. But it scares me. Looking back I made a poor decesion. I wish id have waited on letting her ride. now if she is here and my bike is out she wants to go. it would really confuse her if I stopped letting her go for a ride.

Like so many of the issues we confront as riders, one you identify risk, you need to deterimine if you accept it. Once you accept it is there -- you need to develoop a strategy to minimize it. Only you can make those decisions. BE SAFE, DREBBIN