PDA

View Full Version : Another biker killed needlessly

UglyTroll
03-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Yesterday, Friday 3-28-08; a friend of mine, riding buddy, former co worker, was involved in one of the most horrific accidents we've ever seen here in western Mass. He drove a fuel tanker for many years. He was very experienced and very careful. While driving his load of almost 10,000 gallons of gasoline up route 91, another idiot cager came flying onto the highway from the rt 391 on ramp and cut him off. the guy in the car then hit 2 other cars when he lost control. My friend did everything he could to avoid hitting any other cars (busy traffic at the time) In the process of successfully missing everyone else on the highway, he jackknifed his rig and slammed into the railing and a sign post. The trailer tore loose from the tractor; and the whole deal exploded! My buddy was trapped inside the tractor for a few minutes, with many witnesses trying to get to him to help free him. He finally was able to free himself and leaped from the cab totally engulfed in flames. He died last night at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston from 3rd degree burns over most of his body. He was 43 years old. His name was Aaron Staelens, and he was a good man. I'll miss you bro.

Troll

wreckerman
03-30-2008, 08:35 AM
man life is so short , and to lose a friend makes it even worse, to Aaron Staelens, friends family and him i offer my sincere regrets and will say a prayer for them

k-fly
03-30-2008, 08:45 AM
DAMN....RIP Aaron Staelens

busyblonde
03-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Aaron Staelens, rest in peace. He sacrificed himself trying to save others, and prevented a potentially more life-threatening catastrophe. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends as you deal with the loss of Aaron. Troll, I am so sorry for your loss.

jazda
03-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Very sorry for the loss of your good friend......may he rest in peace.

This made the news on tv before I went to work Friday........ the Interstate road I used was icy and slushy making travel very treacherous.... and all it took was one idiot to cause this horrific accident by not yeildin' to traffic.

snoof
03-30-2008, 09:45 AM
really sorry troll

FASTultra
03-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Condolences........very sorry for the loss of your friend!!

JD
03-30-2008, 10:54 AM
That is horrible, my condolences.

macsRKC
03-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Sorry for the loss of your good friend. Make the best of life while you are here . . .

Shorty
03-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Sorry for the loss of your good friend. Make the best of life while you are here . . .Amen to that. Very sorry Troll.

CoolMaker
03-30-2008, 08:57 PM
My condolences. Sounds like he was a Hero... RIP...

Blackcloud41
03-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Sorry for the loss of your friend UT. Aaron, rest easy and without pain. My condolences to his family and friends.
I had some things to say about the person who cut him off, but I have decided not to post them.

Rice-out
03-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Sorry to hear it was your friend. I heard this morning they charged the driver of the car that caused it all. I will save my rant for the driver of the car for another day

RIP

Wild1Poet2
03-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Sorry for your loss UT. I saw the news videos and it was horrific. Driving in to work that day I was thinking about how the driver was trying to avoid an "unfolding" accident in front of him. I couldn't help think it was prolly a couple idiots getting tangled up in front of him, either car jammin or talkin on cell-phones. Folks are always cuttin in and out in front of trucks cuz they have to leave a gap for them to stop in rush hour traffic.

Now they're also sayin that curve on 91 is a bad design. But I bet it was the drivers in front of him that were a bad design.

HawgDog
03-30-2008, 09:39 PM
My condolences on the loss of your
buddy Ugly and to his family. Aaron,
may you rest in peace.

'Dawg

hogwylde
03-30-2008, 10:49 PM
So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Please extend my condolences to his family.

It was a nasty accident for sure.

firestarter
03-31-2008, 07:38 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend. He must have been a great guy to manage to miss everyone and selflessly end up giving his life for so many others. Prayers for his family and friends.

LVThunder
03-31-2008, 07:43 AM
So sorry to hear this

ezR1der750
03-31-2008, 07:46 AM
Sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your friends family in my thoughts and prayers.

SportyClaws
03-31-2008, 07:46 AM
My thoughts and prayers to you and his family.

RIP Aaron

TWaldo
03-31-2008, 07:52 AM
R.I.P. Aaron....really sorry for your loss Troll

48Pan
03-31-2008, 10:04 AM
I would like to echo the sympathy and condolences to the family and friends of Aaron.
Rest in Peace Brother.

MedievalWoman
04-01-2008, 02:21 AM
I also saw this on the news UT. What a horrible way to die, but such an honorable man to make sure he didn't hit any other cars. My thoughts and prayers will be with his friends and family.

UglyTroll
04-01-2008, 05:36 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the kind words. Aaron was indeed a hero, although he wouldn't have thought about it that way. For him, accepting the responsibility of driving that kind of load also meant he had an obligation to make damned sure no one else had to suffer if something went south.......I can imagine he never hesitated for a second to dump that truck in order to make sure he didn't hit anyone else.......just the kind of man he was. In typical biker fashion, he had a very coarse exterior and most people were put off, or downright scared of him. Behind the scenes, if they'd taken the time to know him and give him a chance, they'd learn he was very involved in kids charities and events and would do most anything to help anyone who needed it. There's so much good to say about this guy.........well, I guess you all know the type. Not one other individual was seriously hurt that day because Aaron wrecked in order to make sure that didn't happen. He would have said it's the only right thing to do! Not sure on the arrangements yet, but I'll be sure to pass on your kind words and thoughts to his family. I know they'll appreciate it and take some comfort in knowing a lot of people out there care about guys like him. Thanks again everyone.

Troll

smile2005
04-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Just came upon this post... :(
UglyTroll, I am so sorry to hear about this...thoughts and prayers to you as his friend, and to his family.....
Rest in Peace Aaron....

harley53glide
05-03-2008, 09:26 AM
As a driver for over 26 years its a jungle out there ,sorry that another good man left this earth gunner dumb fuck four wheeler probaly cut him off

FATBACK
05-03-2008, 11:46 AM
My condolences bro! My his Family and Friends find comfort in this sad time.

squirrel71477
05-03-2008, 07:13 PM
My deepest sympathies to you Troll and Aaron.

UglyTroll
03-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Hard to believe it's one year ago today! The "man" responsible; 35 year old Victor Aponte of Holyoke still faces charges and his trial should be upcoming. Just thought some of you might like to know.

Troll

firestarter
03-28-2009, 07:56 PM
Sorry to hear this, Troll. May he rest in peace.

48Pan
03-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Sorry to hear this. what a teribble way to go.
Prayers to his family and friends

Mungo
03-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Very sorry to hear Troll.

RidgeRunner
03-29-2009, 09:31 AM
RIP Aaron Staelens......my thoughts are with his family

03-29-2009, 09:26 PM
While driving his load of almost 10,000 gallons of gasoline up route 91, another idiot cager came flying onto the highway from the rt 391 on ramp and cut him off. the guy in the car then hit 2 other cars when he lost control. My friend did everything he could to avoid hitting any other cars (busy traffic at the time) In the process of successfully missing everyone else on the highway, he jackknifed his rig and slammed into the railing and a sign post.

RIP Aaron.

Last June, we had an almost identical accident on I-75 in Bradenton, Florida (http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/article607871.ece). The tanker ended up going off an overpass and exploding on the road below. The fire killed the driver and destroyed the I-75 bridge -- closing the southbound interstate for months.

The driver that caused the fatal accident, Fernando Aguilera Chavez, 29, of Bradenton said the tanker driver tried to avoid him. Chavez got a slap on the wrist.

smile2005
04-08-2009, 12:28 PM
A year later and this is still hanging out there...I am so sorry for your loss of your friend, Troll......

LostLake
07-12-2009, 06:16 AM
:unsure:

UglyTroll
12-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Well, I guess it's all over now....yesterday, after a trial lasting 2 days and jury deliberation lasting about a day and a half, Victor Aponte Jr., who prosecutors say was speeding and operating a vehicle he knew had mechanical problems, was found not guilty of motor vehicle homicide. His attorney said the crash that killed 43 yr old Aaron Staelens was an "unforseeable" accident. I guess I just do not understand...

UglyTroll
03-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Wow! 5 years ago today! Where the hell did all that time go already? As it happens, in the course of my job today, I had to drive by the very spot where Aaron met his end...strange sensations...sad memories....never forgotten old friend! Hope you and Colorado Bob got to hook up somewhere in biker heaven and are having some good rides!

Troll

RacingOrangeRoadster
03-29-2013, 01:52 PM
It really is hard to believe looking back how fast time goes by. Glad you checked in and keeping your friends memory alive.

Wide
03-29-2013, 04:16 PM
They say time heals all wounds, wish it would heal memories also...

HoneyBunMike
09-12-2013, 06:34 AM
I had a good friend a long time ago that left us way to early.. RIP Mark Lamb we miss ya !! Sorry for your loss Troll...
Wow! 5 years ago today! Where the hell did all that time go already? As it happens, in the course of my job today, I had to drive by the very spot where Aaron met his end...strange sensations...sad memories....never forgotten old friend! Hope you and Colorado Bob got to hook up somewhere in biker heaven and are having some good rides!

Troll