PDA

View Full Version : Half dead electrics

Firecracker
05-04-2008, 04:42 AM
Hey, folks.
Got a new(?) problem, and it's bugging me badly. Very badly.
Took the bike out this morning to pick up another wrench and some P B Blaster for this morning's project. Steady drizzle. No problem. Faintest bit of exhaust popping. That's because I put the new mufflers on last night, and didn't get the fuel dialed in yet. As I said, other than that, all was fine. Got the new hub assembly installed in the wife's van....back to my bike. Next on the list was oil change. Since she cooled down while I was wrenchin' the other, I went for a spin to warm her up. Still wet out. As I pulled into the driveway, I noticed the car behind me didn't slow enough. I thought "didn't see the blinker".
To be sure, I checked them (again). No blinkers. I've got headlight, front running, tail and brake. The speedo needle moved (I wasn't looking when I turned the switch) and sits at 38mph. No odometer.
Fuel pump comes on, no ignition. No start, no click, nothing. The reason I put a question mark up there is I'm not positive that it's new. At just shy of two months old, I had an intermittent problem with the turn signals. The left blinker would come on by itself, and the only way to get it to cancel was to activate, then cancel, the right blinker. The problem went away as mysteriously as it came. It returned last summer, in June. I made an appointment, and it went to the dealer. They told me they looked for two hours and didn't find anything. There were no problems between then and now. The connections are all dry and tight. It's not the rain.
I'm wondering if the TSSM has bought the farm.
All this just before I had to go to work....sitting here frustrated.
Ideas, anyone?
I've gotta dig at this one until I figure it out - I was supposed to go riding in the morning. Swap meet..........

junior
05-04-2008, 06:57 AM
a combined t/sig issue with a no start usually leads me to believe a tssm. HOWEVER- the tsssm does not control the starter circuit.

goofy right signal, no crank- both in the rh hand control. i'd start looking there and see where it takes me....

j

Firecracker
05-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks, junior. The goofy signal hasn't showed itself since June, and it was the left. TSSM was a guess, the other guess is in the speedo................'cause it seems dead. I didn't get much chance to test anything. It happened right before I had to go to work. I'm outta here in 15, headed home. First stop, electrical diagnostic manual. Seems I got some readin' to do. I am NOT disregarding your suggestion. I've noticed these bikes like to hold water. I've seen it come running out of the switch housings when I take the bike off the kickstand. And replaced many turn signal bulbs.

wreckerman
05-04-2008, 05:36 PM
not sure what model you have , but on the road kings that i have had i have seen behind the side covers there are some big elc plugs and i have seen water get on them causing stuff to cross feed and do goofy stuff might want to give that a look

Firecracker
05-05-2008, 09:28 AM
First, I apologize for not mentioning year, model.
New report - all is well.
Got home, threw dinner in the microwave (love that woman), and grabbed the books.
People wonder why I like wiring diagrams. By the time I had my second bite, I had isolated the most possible culprit. I went outside and changed the blown battery fuse. My list of problems was actually a list of everything that fuse feeds. 20 minutes after getting home, I was fed and had a running ride.
Finished the oil change in the morning.
Made it to the swap meet, picked up a pair of gloves.
Thanks, wrecker.
Many times any help is a help.
Good intentions are always welcome.

For the record, she's a 2006 FXD35 Superglide, 35th Anniversary edition, #2347 of 3500.

junior
05-05-2008, 10:10 AM
very cool.

not to rain on the parade, but fuses don't normally just "blow" they pop because of an overload or a short. you might be wise to visually inspect those areas covered by that fuse for signs of overheating or worn insulation.

just a thought-

j

Firecracker
05-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Good thinking, too.
In the past, the turn signal wires had been chafed.
That was remedied when I took the bags off again.
The fuse my have been weakened earlier. It happens.
Yep, I checked and double checked those.
I had put the rear seat on Friday, and taken it off again Saturday. It's a funky set-up that requires messing with the rear signals to change.

Rain,rain,rain, rain...................all some think about.
It rained all day yesterday. It rained most of today.
So I rode in the rain.
Jazda)):

squirrel71477
05-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Glad you got it fixed, I would double check everything under the seat and electric fuse box just to be sure. I hate goofy surprises. :)