PDA

View Full Version : Alaskan Highway

dacornell
05-08-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm planning a Las Vegas to Fairbanks road trip in July on my '05 Ultra Classic. It's a great bike, but can it handle the Alaskan Highway? Anybody have any opinions?

Thanx.

Don Cornell
Las Vegas

posserider
05-08-2008, 05:44 PM
The bike should have no problems with the highway, just dont go up the Dalton highway north of Fairbanks.

dacornell
05-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Just what I needed to hear. Thanx a lot.

boulderbean
05-08-2008, 10:06 PM
You might want to check out two sites:
horizons unlimited and adventure riders, both sites should have information on traveling to Alaska on a motorcycle (and just about any where else in the world)
I agree that the highway to Fairbanks should be no problem, there is typically sections that will be under construction, maybe 5 to 10 miles at a stretch.
If you haven't already, I recommend picking up a copy of The Milepost, this has maps and information on hotels, motels, gas, food, camping etc:
http://www.themilepost.com/

I would also recommend considering taking the Cassiar Highway either when heading North or on the return trip:
http://www.bellsalaska.com/myalaska/cassiar_highway.html

Sounds like a great time, this is on my wish list of trips to take on the bike.

OldBikerGuy
05-08-2008, 10:52 PM
I've been that route in a car. It's just a road like any other stretch of asphalt, you're just a little more likely to run into a grizzly bear or moose than most roads, so watch out for that kinda thing! UC's the right bike cause this road is straaaiiiiiggghhttttttt, my friend. So a big ol' clunker geezer glide interstate hauler is perfect. ^_^

P.S. Take something to clean your windshield. You'll see bugs the size and quantity of which you never thought possible.

Brobrian
05-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I went last summer in my van.It's a LONG trip, and a great one in some places, (mostly north and west of Fort Nelson). The road through the Yukon has a fair amount of construction, so there is a lot of mud. The parts that are muddy or gravel are actually less hazardous, since they are graded. The paved portions of the road are subject to frost heaves. These are unpredictable and could seriously damage both bike and rider if one is not paying attention (which is a tough task when you've been riding the same road forever and just want to get there.) It rain a lot along the way too. I'd also suggest a decent map of the Canadian portion, since it can be a hell of a long way between gas stations.
That said, I'd take my scooter up there in a heartbeat. In fact, if you were going in August, I'd go with you.

dacornell
05-11-2008, 11:03 PM
You guys are great! Just the kind of stuff I needed to hear. Thanx.

Don Cornell