PDA

View Full Version : New Free Anti-Spyware Program from Microsoft

Tiger
01-11-2005, 06:47 PM
In my field I am always fighting Spyware, Malaware and Adaware. The new Anti-Spyware program from Microsofe is the best one I have tried, And its FREE. It also keeps your from reinfection.

http://www.download.com/Microsoft-Anti-Spyware/3000-8022_4-10353596.html?tag=lst-0-12

V-Rod

Wide
01-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Or you can switch to linux & not worry ;) :D

Tiger
01-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Or you can switch to linux & not worry ;) :D Oh you would still have worries... Like finding software that would work on Linux. Linux is a great operating system... But it has such a small % of the market place. Plus Microsoft gives me job security B)
V-Rod

TexasFatBoy
01-12-2005, 12:30 AM
So MS finally figures they can't possibly plug all the holes in the OS or in IE, so they'll get into the anti-spyware biz? :lol:

I'll have to ask my wife about the security community's take on this one! :P

Ratbike
01-12-2005, 12:37 AM
Funny this came up. I have not had time to check out the HCG during the holidays, after that my computer was infected. Today is the first time I was able to get on. I took me a few hours to get her up again mostly to learn a bit of the registry in XP. Isn't life great. I started playing on the internet was there were only BBS's using my vic-20. Things have changed a little. :lol:

Wide
01-12-2005, 12:38 AM
[quote=Wide] But it has such a small % of the market place. Plus Microsoft gives me job security B)
V-Rod

Then let it rain ;)

Dont want anyone to loose a job :D

arthureld
01-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Here's a great site for info on free spyware removal software.
http://www.cexx.org/
You can also ask questions on the message boards.
They have helped me out a lot.

BronxFatboy
01-12-2005, 01:14 AM
also try using Firefox instead of IE
It doesn't run ActiveX( which is how most spyware is getting installed )

resection3d
01-12-2005, 02:21 AM
A couple of things on Microsoft's new Anti-Spyware program

Did you notice it expires in July 2005?

After installation of it on my PC running XP Pro, while it did find stuff that AdAware and Spybot S&D did not, it also deleted a partition on my D: drive.

Thank god for System Restore.

The fuckers, think I'll sell my MS stock for what good it will do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dafinger

javascript:emoticon('dafinger')
Dafinger

Spoiler
01-12-2005, 02:39 AM
From what I understand it is only a Beta version. I downloaded a copy today and saved it ... did not install. I would hold off for a while until the bugs are worked out. The popularity of Windows is why there are so many hackers breaking in and finding holes.

I would stick with Ad Aware and Spybot for now.

arthureld
01-12-2005, 03:34 AM
From what I understand it is only a Beta version. I downloaded a copy today and saved it ... did not install. I would hold off for a while until the bugs are worked out. The popularity of Windows is why there are so many hackers breaking in and finding holes.

I would stick with Ad Aware and Spybot for now.

Yep, Ad Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

and Spybot Search and Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

are very good.

Also, AVG is a free anti virus program that should be used if you don't have one.
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Tiger
01-12-2005, 04:00 AM
A couple of things on Microsoft's new Anti-Spyware program

Did you notice it expires in July 2005?

After installation of it on my PC running XP Pro, while it did find stuff that AdAware and Spybot S&D did not, it also deleted a partition on my D: drive.

Thank god for System Restore.

The fuckers, think I'll sell my MS stock for what good it will do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dafinger

javascript:emoticon('dafinger')
Dafinger Yes I did. They will probly charge for it after that knowing Microsoft. Ive installed it on 40 plus Pcs. It removes spyware that Adaware and spybot doesnt find. Plus helps to limit reinfection. I like it so far. V-Rod

TexasFatBoy
01-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Well, spoke to the Mrs about it and seems folks in the security community are having a good laugh over it as their take is similar to mine - MS can't find and fix all the holes in IE and the OS, so they're getting into the spyware biz. Most are expecting it to be a wash and not the best product out there. B)

Wide
01-12-2005, 04:00 PM
folks in the security community are having a good laugh over it

. Most are expecting it to be a wash and not the best product out there. B)

^_^ ^_^ Now thats an understatement

TexasFatBoy
01-12-2005, 07:41 PM
folks in the security community are having a good laugh over it

. Most are expecting it to be a wash and not the best product out there. B)

^_^ ^_^ Now thats an understatement

I was tryin' to be nice and not knock MicroSquish too much! :P

macsRKC
01-18-2005, 05:31 PM
PestPatrol is also a good Spyware catcher. I run it everytime I'm done surfing. Though I think it costs. Received my copy through my IT Network bud.

Tiger
01-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Well, spoke to the Mrs about it and seems folks in the security community are having a good laugh over it as their take is similar to mine - MS can't find and fix all the holes in IE and the OS, so they're getting into the spyware biz. Most are expecting it to be a wash and not the best product out there. B) Its not really Microsofts Product. They just bought the company and gave their product the Microsoft name. I like it. And I have tried many others. This is the best I have tried. And its FREE.
V-Rod