PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying my first Harley

oderus
07-31-2008, 12:28 AM
I've sold my old bike (non-Harley) so I can purchase my first Harley!!

I've gone to my local dealer and did a demo on a few bikes, V-Rod, FXDWG and a Night Train. This was about 2+ years ago when they had the 88 TC. I know I want the Night Train because I enjoyed it's ride moreso than the other two bikes. My question is regarding performance / engine packages.

The 2009 Night Train is 96 CI and options are 103, 110 and 120 CI. I've done some basic research as to what each engine can do in terms of BHP/TQ but in the end, I know reading a piece of paper is not better than speaking with experienced riders.

The Sales Manager told me that th 110 was not worth it in comparison with a 103 with headers because of cost / performance. (110 is 10,000$ and the 103 with headers is approx 7,000$) I always take what a Sales person says with a grain of salt so I'm here hoping someone has done this before or has experience with different motors. The 120 for 12,000$ seems like a good deal when considering the 110 is 10,000$ and I read it's more powerful in terms of weight / bhp.

I'm not going to professional drag race although I would like to take it to the track once a month or so. I don't ride 100+ mph everywhere and my non-Harley is already quick (500lbs 1100cc v-twin) so I'm not needing a certain amount of HP.. I just want a fast, loud bike and I don't want a base stock bike.

Thanks in advance!!

arthureld
07-31-2008, 01:41 AM
Those prices seem high to me. But you better wait for one of the experts to give you some advice.
Welcome and good luck

Wild1Poet2
07-31-2008, 02:41 AM
I agree with Gunslinger the prices seem high because my understanding is that the 96" motor already has the stroked crank so all you need to go to 103 or 110" is to put bigger pistons and jugs on. Not sure if you need to bore the cases for the 110".

I think for most purposes the 96" will keep you happy especially with the 6spd tranny. I have a 95" in my '01 Heritage and it runs great and pulls strong well over the buck. But I'm likin the 110" myself cuz the old adage that there is no substitute for cubic inches.

wreckerman
07-31-2008, 03:46 AM
well it does sound like you have been doing your homework "good for you" now you need to figure a few more things out , first harley does not always make the best package out on the market , next there is a fine line between performance and reliable, and you also have to consider that most harley packages do not come ready to rock and roll and there most likely will have to be some upgrades to get all that it can be, with all this being said.. 120 i would stay away from ,93 a little lame, but good 103 is where i would like to see you go from what rideing you have discussed in your post , but do your research on the different packages that you can put together for performance like a zipper tuner with some tunable slip ons as well as sending those heads out to be opened up and at least polished , the combinations are endless with what you want to do

dannytheman
07-31-2008, 08:13 AM
well it does sound like you have been doing your homework "good for you" now you need to figure a few more things out , first harley does not always make the best package out on the market , next there is a fine line between performance and reliable, and you also have to consider that most harley packages do not come ready to rock and roll and there most likely will have to be some upgrades to get all that it can be, with all this being said.. 120 i would stay away from ,93 a little lame, but good 103 is where i would like to see you go from what rideing you have discussed in your post , but do your research on the different packages that you can put together for performance like a zipper tuner with some tunable slip ons as well as sending those heads out to be opened up and at least polished , the combinations are endless with what you want to do

WHat this says is money in your bank...