PDA

View Full Version : Battery charger?

48Pan
09-01-2008, 02:54 AM
I have a trickel charger that I use on my shovel and softail, the ??? is why after a week my softail battery charges up in less than a hour and the shovel battery takes 24 + hours and they're both are about 2 years old. The softail battery is stock HD and the shovel battery is a NAPA battey.
It doesn't make sence to me. Any imput?
Thanks

Rhino
09-01-2008, 03:31 AM
Are they sealed batteries? If NOT check the water level. Could just be a craped out battery too. I take it you use the same charger on both?

wreckerman
09-01-2008, 04:21 AM
first the only true test on a battery is a draw test , next just because battery's look the same they are not always cca "cold cranking amps" is how a battery is rated what that means is how long can it deliver that amount of power , next when a battery is made it uses plates to store the power the more plates the better it is at holding a charge also amount of flied also has a lot to do with it so your answer lays in all these facts

Rhino
09-01-2008, 05:38 AM
Take a look at this video...

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/18218_motorcycle-battery-two.htm

48Pan
09-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the imput, I did look at that other site.
Still dont know why the shovel battery takes so long to charge.
The fluid is OK and I am using one of those trickel charges.
Still don't know why the shovel batery takes so long to charge.
Thanks again

CoolMaker
09-01-2008, 11:35 AM
This answer is really simple... F**k the plates, if the battery is not charging on a sliding scale, REPLACE IT.................. ;)

blkfalc4
09-01-2008, 05:49 PM
NAPA battery was cheaper, right?
So............

Nitram_b4
09-01-2008, 07:03 PM
I kinda like the tenders myself and for 20.00 you could leave one on both battries and they would always be charged and not over charged

wreckerman
09-01-2008, 09:20 PM
the fact is no matter what charger you use when the battery is shot it is shot have a load test done and you will see that it fails the test , the reason it takes longer to charge is a indication that the battery is failing