PDA

View Full Version : Need input on custom lathing an axle

thorsblood
09-15-2008, 08:54 AM
I want to put timken bearing 3/4 inch axle wheels on my 1" axled FLHT. I had looked at bearing swaps, but this involves machining the wheels also. So now I am thinking why can't an Axle be lathed to fit my bike and accomodate the old style wheels?

Heretic
09-15-2008, 11:55 AM
you will need pilot bushings where the axel goes through the swingarm adjustments and the lower legs, but that will not be a problem for a competent machinist.
I actually made a few motortcycle axels when I was working as a machinist

junior
09-15-2008, 07:59 PM
heretic's gotcha....but one question remains.....why? the tapered bearings are actually more prone to wear than the sealed 1" uniits....

j

wreckerman
09-15-2008, 08:16 PM
because I am sure he has a set of rims for his bike that have the wrong size hub, and he wants to use them on his bike without buying new hubs to do so..

CoolMaker
09-15-2008, 08:20 PM
because I am sure he has a set of rims for his bike that have the wrong size hub, and he wants to use them on his bike without buying new hubs to do so..

Ditto, what he said... ;)

thorsblood
09-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Yep, I have some nice wheels I'd like to be able to use on my FLHT. I also see tons of really nice wheels go cheap on ebay that I would love to use. The nice 1" axle wheels go very high. The guy who manufacturers the axle kit to accomodate the 3/4"bearing wheels on the 1" bikes will likely sell a million of em. I will buy the first. Thanks guys.

CoolMaker
09-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Yep, I have some nice wheels I'd like to be able to use on my FLHT. I also see tons of really nice wheels go cheap on ebay that I would love to use. The nice 1" axle wheels go very high. The guy who manufacturers the axle kit to accomodate the 3/4"bearing wheels on the 1" bikes will likely sell a million of em. I will buy the first. Thanks guys.

All you need is a 3/4" axle and 2 bushings (3/4"-1" x the distance of the spacers and legs) to make the spacers and legs work.. ;) Talk to a machinist in you area. The bushings would be easy to make. You cannot turn a 1" down, because you could not get it to go through the wheel (it is 3/4"). So, therefore the bushings on each end of a 3/4" axle. ;)

junior
09-15-2008, 11:59 PM
gotcha- two issues come to mind....

the easy part is making a 3/4" axle, center spacer, and side spacers. you will also have to check pulley centers (i believe the 1" driven pulley is larger in the center than one for a 3/4" wheel) as well as the rotor center.

next comes having a 3/4" axle floating in a swingarm set for 1" axle. a bushing can be made that would have to be shouldered (to prevent lateral movement) that would allow the axle to center. the only issue is that this bushing woul necessarily be only 1/8" wall. superior materials must be used. as a suggestion, a high grade stainless (that's what i use oin axle spacers i have made). it would be harder than the metal in the swingarm and would not crush.

j

Nitram_b4
09-20-2008, 07:41 PM
4140 ht would be another...
I would make a shouldered axle and a bushing for one side.
I would make the whole thing out of 4140 HT it has a RC of about 38 I beleave and machines nicely