PDA

View Full Version : How original has it to be, to be original ?

Hilly
08-21-2004, 10:27 PM
My Harley is from 62. It was original a hand shift but is now a foot shift. And they’re some other small adjustments. How original has one to be ?

Hilly

Wide
08-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Hi Hilly

May I suggest you join the Antique Motorcycle Clud of America
if your serious about oldies.
They are a great club, yes I belong :)

How original?

The more the better. Far as being converted to the foot shift, this was done very often at the dealer before the sale, my pan was one of them, you will not loose points at an event because of it but the more orig the better.

What else does it have changed?

Post a few good pics of your bike in your gallery & I'l really love to take a look at it :)

Hilly
08-21-2004, 11:08 PM
Because I just bought the bike 2 months ago, I’ve not gotten the total overview of changes. The only things I know of for sure, is that the ignition is changed and the front chain is changed to belt drive.

As you can se, I have not caught all the right English words yet. It will come.

Her are some, not so good, pictures of my bike. I will get some better later.

Hilly

wreckerman
08-22-2004, 12:55 AM
what a great looking bike to bad the primary chain was changed to a belt drive but that could go the other way again and welcome to the hcg

Wide
08-22-2004, 12:59 AM
Good Looker there Hilly

Dont worry about your english we speak biker here, thats all we need :)

Sure post us some bigger pictures & you can put as many as you want in the gallery, would be happy to ogar all over them.

Just a little thought, when you post pictures, sometimes the picture format is jpg across the pond, this board does not take them so save them as a jpeg, it's the same thing just one letter difference & the board will work with them

speedman
08-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Just wanted to jump in and say that is one fine looking bike. drunks

rwpatton
08-23-2004, 04:49 PM
welcome to the forums. Nice looking ride.

RW

askher
08-27-2004, 06:40 AM
Hey ya Hilly :)
I agree with the others, nice looking ride B)
How's it sound?

junior
08-27-2004, 09:05 AM
welcome, hilly.....

unless you are purposely trying for a 100-point restoration, i wouldn't worry too much about "absolute" realism. sometimes a mod like the hand/foot shift coversion, or a 6v to 12v lighting conversion, or a mechanical to juice brake system is done for rider comfort and safety.

the bike is yours to do with as you want. the main thing is that you ride it....

j

skeezix
08-29-2004, 02:19 AM
I love the 2 into one pipes, is there a baffle in there ? Does it sound sweet ? :D

Skeez

Hilly
08-29-2004, 07:40 PM
I'm not quit familiar with the word "baffle". If you mean silencer, there is a bit of it left, but I plan to take some more of it out, to deepen the sound a little more.

The sound is at bit to sweet :ph34r:

Hilly

wreckerman
08-30-2004, 10:21 PM
baffel and silencer same thing

Heretic
07-31-2005, 06:12 PM
beautiful bike, I have a soft spot for pans. I understand the desireability of a 100% origional bike, but I find a few mods' are in order if I am going to ride one a lot. I prefer the belt primary, because of less vibration. I also like the seat change. From the pictures, I would guess that yours is an old mustang brand seat. I had one on my bike, until it wore out. I found it to be much more comfortable than the "pogo" seat. As you put more miles on your bike you will find what you are comfortable with, and what mods' are acceptable to you, and that is really what is important. Good luck

Kagan
08-01-2005, 04:06 AM
Pans rule. The first thing you need to do is get yourself a reference library. Decide which show points you want to get back and start the retro-conversions. Good luck. I've seen a lot of really nice restorations. I lost my Panhead when I moved to the '05 RK, but one day, when time and money will allow, I'll get back to it. :D

lioutofplace
09-10-2005, 02:36 AM
Hi Hilly, nice ride, where did you get it?

Horse
09-10-2005, 02:41 AM
Welcome Hilly to HCG. Great looking ride, more pics please.

alazlo
12-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Here's my "Original" Pan & Shovel. Both have original paint. The pan only has 16000 miles. Bought the shovel from the second owner, he cried when I left with it.... Rode it all summer without a problem. They are both great bikes to ride... Ya can't beat the old ones

PHLI71
02-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Welcome
Im a Newbee too.
Similar situation. My 72 Sportster is fairly original. Im wanting to keep it as stock as possible. Surprised at the supply of original parts still available for old HARLEYS. Most of the bikes i have seen have been updated to disc front brake. Less then 17,000 miles showing but no way of knowing if it is correct. The kickstart is a problem tho. Any tips to help? I do need a carb rebuild. I have a vintage 2 up seat plus a MUSTANG solo.

Tuxedo7
07-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Unless you plan on showing it, keep it original looking, and if it already has some discrete modernizations, you can probably leave them. Obviously if you ever replace any parts for newer stuff, keep the old. I have a 1940 Knuckle, and only the purists can tell that it has a couple of upgrades (12V, Belt Primary, etc.). The bike looks very stock, but runs dependably. I think the belt vs. chain is positive as it doesn't rattle in the primary, and the 12V is better for lights, and dependability. It really is up to you, but for me, if you're showing it, keep it stock, but if you're riding it, a few discrete rideability upgrades are fine. If you're worried about value, then obviously the more stock and original the better.