PDA

View Full Version : We Lost Bryan Hagan

FATBACK
11-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Master bike builder and biker buildoff winner Bryan Hagan took his own life this past week. He was a friend and a great veteren. I stood at his memorial service today for his wife Stacy and Daughter. Rest in Paece brother! Bryan owned Iron Thunder Choppers/cycles in Raleigh NC

Wide
11-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Very sad

All my best thoughts

Mungo
11-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Here's the obit.

http://www.montlawn.com/obituaries/tribute.html?urlName=James-Bryan-Hagan-Wake-Forest-NC-2008&urlID=84484324

It was a shame. Great guy, full of life and energy. By the size of the turn out today, he touched a lot of people in the community.

dannytheman
11-11-2008, 06:28 PM
RIP my brother!!!

I am saddened, he was a great community oriented guy!

wreckerman
11-11-2008, 06:40 PM
it is always a shame to hear of one of us dieing for any reason , prayers go out to his family , some things we never will understand "taking of own life" seems he was at the top of his game

k-fly
11-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks Mungo.Is wake forest near Raleigh?

firestarter
11-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Prayers for the family. I have no respect for anyone who takes the easy way out and leaves their family with the pain of their loss. Sorry is that makes some of you mad, but it takes more of a man to live with the issues life throws your way than just killing yourself.

wreckerman
11-11-2008, 07:59 PM
FS there is a lot to be said for what you posted , and I must say I do agree with you

11-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Sad, and it does leave a Jacob, Stacy, Jaclyn, Tammy, and Dennis and Connie tormented with senseless guilt over what they might have done to prevent or cause this.

Just the same, RIP Bryan.

RacingOrangeRoadster
11-11-2008, 08:22 PM
RIP my fellow Veteran.

Mungo
11-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks Mungo.Is wake forest near Raleigh?

Yes very much so. Only about 10 miles North. In fact, if you come straight down US1, you'll run right by Bryan's shop. If that's the correlation about which you were inquiring.

firestopper
11-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Prayers for the family. I have no respect for anyone who takes the easy way out and leaves their family with the pain of their loss. Sorry is that makes some of you mad, but it takes more of a man to live with the issues life throws your way than just killing yourself.

I'm sure all of us agree with your sentiments firestarter. I think if he really thought this through, he wouldn't have taken this way out. After reading his obituary one would think his life would have never ended this way. My prayers are with the family he left behind.

FATBACK
11-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Bryan suffered from post tramitic stress disorder from Iraq. Im not how many of you have been a soldier in Iraq but it cannot be easy. I personnaly have never served but know many many whom have and well enuff said!

Nitram_b4
11-11-2008, 09:16 PM
I just want to say I have friends that have done this and it is not that simple as you think.
Most have justified it in their mind that the people they love would be better off without them.
Some of them were self centered some were not.

OldBikerGuy
11-11-2008, 09:21 PM
This is the second suicide of a Harley rider I either knew of or rode with in the past coupla months. The other was the husband of a woman who works for me. He left behind a wife, three kids, and a 2007 EGC I'm trying to help sell. Rather than judge these folks, I have to wonder what horrors went on inside their heads to drive them to do something I'm sure they never would've thought they'd do. It must be awful and my heart goes out to each of them and their families.

Mungo
11-11-2008, 09:40 PM

Doesn't make me mad, but suicide is an irrational action coming from someone who is obviously not acting rational. On the surface, yes, it is rather selfish and it is extremely hard for those left behind.

But sometimes people act irrational. I am 100% certain Bryan wasn't thinking of his family and on going care for them or even the pain he'd be putting them through when he made the decision to take his own life.

I've personally been at this point in my life twice (before being a husband and father). It's completely irrational thought and it was just a stupid fluke that snapped me out of both instances. But I'm very grateful for that stupid fluke.

Everybody does irrational things almost everyday. Unfortunately, suicide is permanent. But the thoughts that lead someone to suicide are from a place where they can't think of the loved ones they'd be leaving behind.

I'm not trying to justify suicide. Not in the least. Just trying to explain that the people who are in that predicament aren't thinking clearly enough and really need some sort of outside help or nudge to get them out of it.

OldBikerGuy
11-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Not to mention that they're often clinically depressed, meaning a chemical imbalance totally out of their control to deal with. But, yeah, it's easy as jerking off to grab a Bible and condemn these sad individuals.

FATBACK
11-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks Mungo for splaining it in a understanable way. I am still at a loss for words right now.

JD
11-12-2008, 08:11 AM

I used to fee this same way, until I better understood that mental illness in any form or fashion is just that, an illness. Some people cannot defeat their own inner demons and unfortunately don't get the help they need. Regardless, it is truly sad.

UglyTroll
11-12-2008, 09:51 AM
I offer my deepest condolences and sympathies to the family and friends of Bryan. Seems especially poignant that his services took place on this particular day...