PDA

View Full Version : New bike - Sportster?

Nebula
01-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Hi all,

New user here. Been lurking for a bit...

I've been riding on and off for the last 30 years, my last Bike being an 1100 Magna. I've got the itch again and think its time for a Harley.

I own vehicles already so I will be using this primarily as a second ride, to and from work with the occasional highway ride, so I am considering an 05 Sportster 1200C.

For what I am going to use it for I'm thinking this is a good choice. I can get into one for about $14K CDN with the next model up (Dyna) pushing over $20K. I even checked out the Victory line and the Sportster is cheaper.

So, my question?

You guys know the bikes, is a Sportster a good choice for what I am going to use it for, 95% City riding?

Girls bike? Maybe but its quick and nimble for a cruiser.

Neb

TexasFatBoy
01-17-2005, 05:08 PM
First off, welcome to the forums! 1beer

Careful calling a Sportster a girls bike - many here will adamantly disagree on that point! :P The Sporty is a great all around bike for what you are looking for. Here's an Article (http://www.harleychatgroup.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12&mode=&order=0&thold=0) on choosing the right Harley for you. Got lots of good info. The Sporty is a light and nimble bike compared to the bigger V-Twins and does extremely well in twisties and commuter traffic. Probably not the best choice if you plan on running cross-country or on extended tours, but many have with no problems. Heck, one of my local HOG members rode Austin to Richmond for the national HOG Rally last year and loved it.

Best advice would be to go rent one for a day and see what you think of the fit and the ride.

Good luck!

Harley-Ray
01-17-2005, 05:48 PM
I bought a Sporty in August 05, 1200 custom (forward controls) great bike, but I'm 6'3" 220 pounds and after a couple weeks I realized it was too small for me and I was never comfortable. So I sold it and got a RK, to each his own, Sportys are great bikes, no doubt about it, but if you read alot of posts here and talk to owners there are alot of people who quickly upgrade to bigger bikes not long after starting small, in the end though, your cash, your call. Either way it's still a Harley!!!! How can you go wrong!!!!

Horse
01-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Nebula welcome to HCG and thanks for joining.

OK we all have been there, Want a HD, may have limited funds,
and want the best ride possible. The advise TFB stated, RENT ONE,
is the best advise possible. HD dealers generally offer a good mix
of rentals from sportsters to baggers and will credit the rental fee
towards the purchase.

Ok their is another way to go with your first HD and that's a
previously owned HD. This time of year there is generally lot
of used bikes at the dealers and they want to move them. You
may be able to apply the rental charges toward the used HD if
you negotiate with the dealer.

Buying the wrong bike is more costly than paying more for the right bike.

wreckerman
01-17-2005, 06:08 PM
nothing wrong with a sporty , it has been the backbone of harley for years and is a very reliable bike with a lot of uses, can do 2 up long distance and bar hops can be set up most anyway you want i do recomend as i do to all guys debateing which harley to buy rent one first to see how it fits......

momsridin
01-17-2005, 06:38 PM
Nebula, Welcome to the fun friend. I ride an 05 1200C. Is it a girls bike? I don't think so. Ask my husband who takes off with it frequently. ;) I think women often choose a sporty because it is lighter and you can choose a lowered model if you have shorter legs. Im tall so that's not my issue but the weight was. We are looking to add a cruiser to the garage but we will keep the sporty. For us a 2 up long cruise on the sporty wouldn't seem real comfy but that's a personal choice. Rent a sporty and a few others then see what you think. Enjoy and happy shopping.

tradrockrat
01-17-2005, 06:59 PM
My sporty is my primary mode of transpotation. For all the reasons mentioned in this thread, I have to say that they are great bikes. They're excellent in traffic -- not good -- excellent. I prefer the more agressive peg placement of the 1200 R cause you can always put on highway pegs.

Oh yeah, I go ALL over with it. My fiancee and I have taken all day trips with no problems.

Still -- rentals are the way to go. Make sure it fits you.

Bhamgreg
01-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Welcome to HCG Nebula, glad to have you. I bought my 1200 C in December and haven't been disappointed in the least. Unlike some of the posters, I'm vertically challanged so being able to put both feet on the ground at a red light is important to me.

Agree with the rental advice.

Jamorris
01-17-2005, 10:33 PM
Nebula, If you woried about impressions, you need to RIDE a sportster. My Wife thought it was too much bike for her. My 04 1200C scared her powerwise. Her 600 Shadow isn't much lighter, but it is much more sedate in the power band.

My Sportster is a keeper. I might even consider adding my first dreambike to the stable just to keep it company. A nice stock 70, or 71 XLCH would look right nice next to the 04.

If you want to cruise, an 88 is very nice. A Sportster will eat them up in the turns and I think be more economical. Two-up on a Sportster can get crowded, though. But, that has its advantages.

Jerry

Nebula
01-18-2005, 01:32 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys (and gals).

My buddy keeps telling me to get the bike I want, not the one I can afford because it will cost me more down the road if (when) I want to trade it in. The v-twin is very tempting. I'll have to see. Bike show this weekend, good time to check them all out.

Beers are in the fridge, help yourself!

Neb.

HoustonFatboy
01-18-2005, 01:50 AM
hey nebula, welcome. i suggest buying the model you would buy if you weren't thinking of cost. the difference is not that much when you look at it paying it off in say 5 years.

BikerBabe
01-18-2005, 02:20 AM
I have to agree here with Houston...I bought a Sporty, and although I do love it and feel it was the best model for me to learn on, I did sit on some at a bike show recently and do have my eyes set on a bigger bike for the future. I would like a bit more experience riding first. Good luck and sit on every Harley you can!!!

TomF
01-18-2005, 04:24 AM
I like the 883's because they're much less expensive than the 1200's and if you really want the extra power later, you can upgrade it to a 1200 over a weekend for a few hundred in parts (VERY easy to work on) or have the dealer do it for under a grand. I was so content with my 883's though that I never did it. I never had a bike payment, and didn't have to pay a lot for insurance either. 100% fun.

BikerBabe
01-18-2005, 04:28 AM
I like the 883's because they're much less expensive than the 1200's and if you really want the extra power later, you can upgrade it to a 1200 over a weekend for a few hundred in parts (VERY easy to work on) or have the dealer do it for under a grand. I was so content with my 883's though that I never did it. I never had a bike payment, and didn't have to pay a lot for insurance either. 100% fun.

yup, good point too...no payments! :D

daver
01-18-2005, 11:29 AM
I got an 883 for sale if your interested...its a great bike! I got a heritage now, so my wife says that I should sell the sporty. If your interested its under the "bikes for sale" section of the forum.

Nebula
01-19-2005, 01:06 AM
OK, if cost is not my main issue then I would consider a Dyna Custom (I like the extra chrome).

Not to start anything here but what is the general consensus of the Victory line of bikes? I mean other than, "Its not a Harley".

Neb.

daver
01-19-2005, 01:26 AM
Well...don't know much about it because of that reason. Its just not a harley.

tradrockrat
01-19-2005, 01:36 AM
OK, if cost is not my main issue then I would consider a Dyna Custom (I like the extra chrome).

Not to start anything here but what is the general consensus of the Victory line of bikes? I mean other than, "Its not a Harley".

Neb.

all I've heard that was negative about them was that they are going through normal growing pains for a new company (yeah, they're not new, but their MC line is) you know -- still working out design bugs.

fathead
01-19-2005, 02:52 AM
.....WELCOME..to the forum, Have Fun..pleanty to do.. :D
Myself, I feel you get what you pay for....Bike payments may take a while
but you pay for the comfort as well as the bike...as for victory, haven't seen any on the road around my neck of the woods :o :o
Test Drive and See.............Mace

TomF
01-19-2005, 04:34 AM
Victory makes a good bike. The motorcycle press went ga-ga over the Vegas and their newer one (forgot the name) and every review I've read says they're good solid performers. The Arlen Ness model is very awesome.

If it's not an issue to you to have a brand other than Harley, check them out -- I did. For nearly the same price as a Harley though, why not go with the real deal??

Harley also has a huge dealer network all around the country (or the world for that matter) so you can get service and parts everywhere. I could only find one Victory dealer on the eastern side of LA, and it was a boat house that sells Polaris stuff but also a few bikes. What if I moved to Kansas or something? How many Victory dealers would be there?

My vote is for an 883 or if you have the money, go for the Dyna or Softail Standard as entry Twin Cam bikes that you can customize the way you want. You're looking at about $3G's or more to take the next step up.

hogwylde
01-20-2005, 12:45 AM
I think the Sportster is the most versatile bike HD offers. In that, I mean.....it is a great bar hopper, city cruiser and long distance cruiser. Maybe not the best in all fields, but has enough attributes to make it a great over-all bike. I've done all of the above, without a single complaint and have done it comfortably.

Would I ever get a bigger HD? Probably.

Would I ever get rid of the Sportster? Definitley NOT!