PDA

View Full Version : New to riding - Hi ya all

sporstergal
08-22-2004, 05:59 AM
I just started riding - got my license recently and picked up my brand new 2004 883 last saturday. Any helpful hints for a new rider?

Joker
08-22-2004, 06:17 AM
Not much advice for a new rider other than be careful and take a course, BUT as for advice to a newbie on the site! POST SOME PICS! We really like the pictures here.
Joker dr evil

Wide
08-22-2004, 06:27 AM
Hi SporsterGal

Congrats on your new ride, wish you many happy miles.

I would suggest besides the safety course get in a empty parking lot and practice turns, tight turns, take off & turn & start on hills, do that & you'll be good to go.

One more thing, dont wait for someone to drive somewhere you think they are going because when you do they wont.

Enjoy the forums :)

Kruizin
08-22-2004, 06:55 AM
hey sportstergal, and welcome to the forums! ;)

very nice bike you picked out as well.

ride safe!

animal
08-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Hi Sporstergal, welcome. The best piece of adviceand hopes I have for you is for you to keep the shiny side up, and the rubber side down. :D You would be well advised to take an MSF course, and if you want further insight you can read the books by David Hough. Hope to see pics of you and your sporty.

speedman
08-22-2004, 01:16 PM
Welcome to the forums sporstergal. Probably the best thing you can do is take animal's advice and go to a MSF course if you haven't already.

Swyney
08-22-2004, 01:21 PM
Hello and welcome sporstergal - I think the guys have said it all.

I would just to drive defensively, as good a driver the you are the other is the one to watch out for ! :P

bikerdude
08-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Hi sportstergal,
welcome aboard! Iagree with the others,take a rider saftey
course.Ride around on neighborhood streets for awhile.Practice braking,
get to know your bike.This site has great info,have fun!

Spoiler
08-22-2004, 04:00 PM
Congrats on your new motor, and welcome to the paceline Sportstergal. This is an excellent place to converse and gain technical knowledge on your new scoot. I myself would like to hear how you find the 883 on comfort and engine capabilities on those longer touring rides...say a trip from OR to Sturgis. Did you get the standard, or custom 883?

whodatt
08-23-2004, 12:57 AM
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you have already been given great advise. Take the course, ride within your limits and have fun.

If you get a chance, post a pic of your new ride. Everyone here loves pictures.

wreckerman
08-23-2004, 02:13 AM
welcome to the hcg and congradulation on your new bike all of the good advice from above is the same from me ..
most important lesson is act like every one out there wants to knock you off the bike ...because they do

and dudette you got a harley

jazda
08-23-2004, 03:01 AM
sporstergal, welcome!! You go girl,,, gettin' your licence and a new bike... with everyone stressin' the safety course,, I'll add if you have someone you feel comfortable with to ride along side of/in back of you,, who would just keep you company an give you some constructive advice on how you ride, that would be a good thing too. Don't get discouraged or be too hard on yourself,,, you're just learnin' .... you got a great bike an you'll be fine. Ride Safe....
B)

frobozz
08-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Consider buying (and reading) .

Proficient Motorcycling : The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well
by David L. Hough

Lots of good tips, some of the physics of cycling, discussions of accident statistics.

Frobozz

bake
08-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Welcome sportstergal. Congratulations on the new bike. :D

buckanddot
08-23-2004, 06:26 PM
Welcome Sportstergal, congrats on the new scoot! I have to agree with everyone else about the rider safety course, I still try to take all the advanced and/or experienced ones I can find, and I have been riding 30 some years. I've been told that riding a new Harley is like running with scissors, so in other words, be careful, and make your mamma proud. Ride safe and ride often, Buck.

rwpatton
08-23-2004, 09:16 PM
Welcome and ride safe. A constant state of controlled paranoia while ridin helps. Trust no one.

RW

wrench95747
08-23-2004, 11:08 PM
welcome to the hcg and congradulation on your new bike all of the good advice from above is the same from me ..
most important lesson is act like every one out there wants to knock you off the bike ...because they do

and dudette you got a harley
I would agree, wrecker. I always ride like I'm invisible, because they sure seem to have a hard time seein' me. By the way welcome sportstergal

HoustonFatboy
08-24-2004, 07:04 AM
congrads and welcome also. i'm also a new harley rider.

sporstergal
08-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks for all the great advice and the nice welcome. I read the book Proficient Motorcycling before I took Motor Cycle Safety Course.

I bought a little practice bike at 250 Honda Shadow - just rode it in parking lots etc until I was comfortable then took the course. Passed the course about a month ago.

A little bit more about me, I bought the bike for my 50th Birthday present to myself. I am going to shock all my co-workers and friends, we do a little get together the first Friday night of every month to celebrate birthdays in the month. The first Friday in September, I am showing with my bike.

I wanted to start this journey on my own. But it was tougher than I thought so a wonderful guy at the Harley Shop in town took me under his wing and helped me through the “I CAN’T DO THIS” times.

Wide
08-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Very cool Gal

What a treat to yourself!!!

You will do just fine, dont rush anything & take your sweet time.

Remember dont drink & drive ;)

drunks

50FL
08-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Congrats on the new bike and riding.

Three things I always look out for

1. Drivers on cell phones - Their too busy talking instead of driving

2. Out of state license plates - Probably lost and could make a quick turn out of nowhere

3. Rental cars - Same reason as above

One other thing I do which seems to help is; when I'm passing someone in normal traffic as I approach them I give it a little gas. I have pretty loud pipes. This lets them know I'm there and doesn't piss anybody off by blowing my horn.

Wide
08-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Geeze 50FL

You just named 75% of the LA drivers

Add putting on make up, reading the news paper & eating to cover the rest

:lol: :wacko:

50FL
08-25-2004, 04:43 PM
Amen! Wide