PDA

View Full Version : Changing from EFI to Carb

CoolMaker
02-10-2009, 11:35 AM
This is a good link and pics showing how to change to Carb from EFI...

Change... (http://www.amm.haan.de/Carb/carb.htm)

wreckerman
02-10-2009, 02:27 PM
but why would you

CoolMaker
02-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Allot of people don't like EFI and know how to tune a carb... ;)

dannytheman
02-10-2009, 07:30 PM
First off, I will admit it seems MUCH easier than I would have guessed!!
And I respect an individuals right to live in the past and use solid technology that works on mechanical principles versus a computer. BUT(you knew this was coming didn't you?)
Having ridden from Sea Level to the mountains in the mainland and Hawaii, I will categorically tell you that it is much easier to ride in varying topographic terrain with a EFI.

If you live and ride in an areas that stays within 1000 feet of elevation, go for it! IF you want to do a cross country trip in August and head up to the highest points rideable in the US, stick with the EFI!

arthureld
02-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Carbs will probably be concidered more reliable for armageddon.
But, I suspect smog checks are in our future if armageddon is postponed.

SuperSport
02-10-2009, 07:35 PM
There are many technical reasons to favor EFI over carb; there is only 1 reason for favoring carb: personal preference.

CoolMaker
02-10-2009, 07:43 PM
First off, I will admit it seems MUCH easier than I would have guessed!!
And I respect an individuals right to live in the past and use solid technology that works on mechanical principles versus a computer. BUT(you knew this was coming didn't you?)
Having ridden from Sea Level to the mountains in the mainland and Hawaii, I will categorically tell you that it is much easier to ride in varying topographic terrain with a EFI.

If you live and ride in an areas that stays within 1000 feet of elevation, go for it! IF you want to do a cross country trip in August and head up to the highest points rideable in the US, stick with the EFI!

Remember that people rode bikes for many years with carbs before EFI, and they rode all the places and more that you talked about.. Other than Warm up the carb is just as good as EFI and a Hell of a lot easier to tune. ;)

dannytheman
02-10-2009, 07:58 PM
I do remember, I was one.... Although it was a kawasaki...

Mount WASHINGTON... Couldn't start it. Adjust it, couldn't start it.. Flood it.. Wait,.....
Spray in starter fluid, try it... Nope, battery dies.. YUP, I've been there...Have a nice tourist with jumper cables get me going after toying with carb for 15 minutes and freezing my dick off.

Once down, re adjust it all again. Cool, if you like that sort of thing I am for it, not me buddy!!...

But I walk upright now!!!

wreckerman
02-10-2009, 08:04 PM
well then butch you wont mind if when I come out there, I just pull your efi off, and leave you a carb. correct !

D.N.F.
02-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Is there a vid showing me how to put drum brakes on my RK instead of discs?

xxxflhrci
02-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Yes, it comes as a boxed set. Complete with how to put on a drive chain instead of a belt, an idiot's guide to replacing your electronic ignition with points out of a 1966 Chevy II and has a bonus feature on how to remove your oil pump and install a total loss oil system.....Of course these films can only be viewed on 8mm reels. I'm thinking about getting a set. If you want, after I watch them, I can send you a telegraph and tell you what I thought of 'em.

wreckerman
02-10-2009, 10:06 PM
viewed on 8mm reels,telegraph and tell you what I thought of 'em.,drum brakes on my RK instead of discs? did I just walk into a time warp WTF !

02-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Of course these films can only be viewed on 8mm reels.

Damn, I only have a Super 8mm projector.

xxxflhrci
02-10-2009, 10:24 PM
As some people get older their minds start reminising of the the "old days" and how grand they were and how the old ways were better.....I grew up on a farm in the 70's- early 80's and had a grandpa that thought that way. We raised a few acres of tobacco and had 2 nice tractors. He decided that instead of plowing up a bit more ground and setting the rows wider so we could get the smaller tractor thru the field to cultivate the weeds out, he'd get a mule and keep the narrow rows. After a Holstein bull about killed him and the mule, he scraped that idea and decided to go from the 20's style farming up to the 50's. He ran out and bought a '53 Farmall Cub with a belly cultivator. It was a glorious machine about 8 hp, next to no brakes, and went about 3 mph when dragging the tines. Yep, the old days certainly were better...LOL.

D.N.F.
02-10-2009, 10:34 PM
my telegraph office is closed, pony express still works though

junior
02-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Is there a vid showing me how to put drum brakes on my RK instead of discs?

ya, but it's on beta....

j

OldBikerGuy
02-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't mind using a time machine to go back in the past but I'm taking my EFI with me, dammit. :angry:

JD
02-10-2009, 11:22 PM
I had EFI and went back to carb. Reason? Reliability. That f'n EFI was a nightmare to keep running. It ran hot and lean. Good luck push starting it if your battery is on it's way out. Sure it was marginally better than the carb for performance, but how much performance do you need on a road kind cruising down the highway at 65? I've ridden the bike all over and no altitude problems. I'm all about modern technology but EFI and HD don't work as well for me as carb. YMMV.

Heretic
02-11-2009, 01:43 AM
I put a punched out S&S G on my 127 inch engine (the carb venturi was bored out to 46mm instead of the original 42mm)

the reason being that the carb is more throttle responsive on a "toy". I suspect it will always be so, unless someone starts putting acclelerator pumps on EFI units.
I did braze flex shafts to my low end mixture adjustment, and to my idle adjustment. I have easily accessable thumb screws, next to the air cleaner, that I can adjust while sitting on the running bike. The idle speed one is not even a problem with heavy winter gloves.

I know this is old technology, but it WORKS. I have nothing against fuel injection, but calling a carb unreliable is really just not fair. If a good wrench tunes a carb it will run just as well as EFI. When I pulled my 93 bagger apart to make my hot rod bike, it had 176 thousand miles on it. The engine was worn out......that carb is still pushing fuel at another engine

Horse
02-11-2009, 01:57 AM
The following links are to NightRider, and in my opinion, is the best information I have found on Carb vs EFI.

Read both part 1 and part 2

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/motorcycle_efi_basics.htm

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/motorcycle_efi_upgrades.htm

I have not owned an EFI HD and likely I will not, OK old school but I prefer to start my bike than just turn it on and let the computer do the rest.

dannytheman
02-11-2009, 02:06 AM
I still know how to send and receive morse code too!! But I use the phone now!!

CoolMaker
02-11-2009, 03:34 AM
well then butch you wont mind if when I come out there, I just pull your efi off, and leave you a carb. correct !

Might already be done when you get here... ;)

Mungo
02-22-2009, 06:14 AM
Carbs will probably be concidered more reliable for armageddon.
But, I suspect smog checks are in our future if armageddon is postponed.

Well, if armageddon does come in my lifetime, I think I'd be more worried about the distribution and supply of gas than it's delivery in my engine.

I use to be one of those who preferred a carb over EFI. Properly tuned and well maintained they can be very reliable. However, it may be laziness, but I'd much prefer getting out my PC and hooking it up to the bike to change the fuel than to drain a floatbowl, drill out a carb and swap needles. If you didn't pull the carb, you also run the risk of introducing an intake leak if you weren't gentle enough.

Now, the multitude of tuning options available at various manifold pressures and RPM can be daunting with an EFI tuner, especially when compared to a pilot and main jet. But it can be learned.

Yeah - no more draining and cleaning float bowls. Plug and play. :)

CoolMaker
02-22-2009, 06:54 AM
Mungo, like you I like to "fool" with them, and now using the TTS Mastertune on one bike and the Thundermax on another, it is real fun.. However, it is fun to tune Johnny's carb too, also I have not had to re-tune John's in quite awhile and we all know his bike runs GOOD.. LOL

arthureld
02-22-2009, 06:57 AM
I'm sticking with EFI too.
And I agree gas will be hard to come by.
And we'll all be clubbin

CoolMaker
02-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Just an interesting thought, a carb can and will burn shitty gas, with some water in it. Ever had any water get in an EFI? Quite another story... LOL