PDA

View Full Version : More Ebay bikes.

Oli1200
01-20-2005, 03:05 AM
Just thought I'd see what you guys think of these ebay bikes for sale? Now common sense would tell me to stay away from buying a vehicle on ebay but these are the kinda bikes I'd love to get but they're listed at a rediculously cheap price. Suspicious. The seller lives around where I live so it's so damned tempting and I could actually afford one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6707&item=4521322929&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6707&item=4521078019&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Ironhead80
01-20-2005, 04:20 AM
These look somewhat legit. Just stay away from the ones that say you have to be on a preapproved list and want you to pay with Western Union or something of that nature. Paypal and a lot of the pay sites will back you up if you get screwed but Western Union will not.

Horse
01-20-2005, 04:46 AM
I would be wary of any seller that only accepts money orders/cashiers checks and bank transfer, you have little to no protection with this type of transaction. Escrow Pay is a good way to go on high dollar amounts. I looked at the items but you never know if someone has hijacked another seller’s id etc. Now if the item is close to your location and you can deal face to face that's another story.

Also check the eBay forums, they have a lot of information on how to spot a bogus sale.

Wide
01-20-2005, 05:25 AM
I would not give anyone a dime on ebay without seeing the bike & running the serial numbers thru DMV

Scams are for as little as $50

:D

TexasFatBoy
01-20-2005, 02:49 PM
At least with this one he gives you a phone number to get all the details and according to his payment terms, no payment required until you pick it up or ask him to ship.

These actually might not be a scam, but I would remain wary and check with your local DMV to see about difficulties licensing and registering a custom.

Wide
01-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Dont forget to take this thing for a ride before you buy it.

I just dont like buying off ebay, be very carefull :D

Rusty
01-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Dont forget to take this thing for a ride before you buy it.

I just dont like buying off ebay, be very carefull :D

+1

anarchy
01-20-2005, 02:57 PM
i don't know all the details, but a friend of my bro's (who i'll be riding with this summer) bought his RK off ebay. as far as i know, he's happy with it and didn't have any problems... i can find out more if you're interested.

some of the advice above is good - use common sense and you should be fine. pay using a method where you have some recourse - paypal, credit card, etc. if you can, check out the bike before you buy - just like you would any other vehicle...

i noticed on the first (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6707&item=4521322929&rd=1) bike the reserve isn't met yet - which means the seller has a minimum amount he wants to get...

good luck...

Wide
01-20-2005, 03:12 PM
Dont they have those escrow accounts you can use?

You pick one on your own B)

anarchy
01-20-2005, 03:36 PM
i've never used an escrow account before, but here's some general information, from ebay, about the escrow account (http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/payment-escrow.html).

TexasFatBoy
01-20-2005, 04:02 PM
First off, be very careful thinking you have adequate recourse through Ebay/Paypal - they have pretty low limits on the amount they will cover and it's normally nowhere near the price of a vehicle.

As for escrow services, normally both parties will agree to use an escrow service (and make sure it's a well-established reputable one - more on that in a minute) and decide who will pay the escrow fees. Buyer deposits the amount of the purchase into escrow, escrow agent confirms to seller that funds are deposited, seller ships vehicle to buyer. Buyer then has a certain period of time to inspect the vehicle (usually pre-arranged, but commonly 5-10 days) and determine if they will accept. If buyer accepts or does nothing in the prescribed time, then escrow agent sends money to the seller. If buyer refuses item, then buyer returns the item to the seller and once seller confirms receipt, escrow agent releases funds back to buyer.

Now, on the note of reputable escrow agents, do your homework and investigate that the escrow agent is actually real and reputable. Some of the overseas scammers tried to make their scams more palatable by offering to work through an escrow agent. Only problem was the "escrow agent" they set up was a bogus company with a bogus website that was linked directly to the seller's paypal account. See the problem - you as unwary buyer agree to use the escrow agent recommended by the seller only to deposit your funds and never see them again.

Be careful out there!

I actually found my Fatboy on eBay, but it was a local seller, so I went and looked at the bike and we did the deal face-to-face.

05FLHTCUI
02-02-2005, 12:49 AM
I bought my first Harley from ebay, a 98 Fat Boy with 210 miles. I emailed the seller with lots of questions and told him I would buy if I was the high bidder and it was exactly like he said when I picked it up. It was, I did, and no regrets.

02-02-2005, 01:30 AM
I bought an '04 FLHPI with only 1900 miles on eBay from a police department that was only 200 miles away. I wouldn't consider buying a bike I couldn't see first.

Prior to the end of the auction, I did get the VIN and the name of the original selling/maintaining HD dealer to confirm the warranty and general condition at last service.

LostLake
02-02-2005, 01:37 AM
I got scammed on an ATV once. And I know how to spot a scammer!! I have had dozens thrown off eBay, and they are everywhere!

The guy I bought from had a perfect reputation (Rule #1, don't believe feedback. Many won't complain, many retract neg feedback as a settlement, feedback can be manipulated and some people are not as bright as you and don't know when they've been had).

The guy had pics, but none real close (Rule #2 make sure you know EXACTLY what you are buying, every number, scratch, missing nut)

I sent $500 immediately to hold the purchase. (Rule #3 never send MO, cashiers check, or the like. I paid with a credit card through PayPal. Smart huh? WRONG)

I drove immediately 12 hours to pick up the ATV. The guy offered to meet me an hour from his house at a major intersection. (Rule #4, go to his house or business and write down the address he is at)

The ATV had a new odometer, new seat, and a can of paint on the frame. The rear rack was broken and welded, and the frame was bent, the handle bars were ground off on top, possibly fell off a trailer. The guy could not explain any of this (Rule #5, buy from the owner, not a re-seller. If this guy is selling them one after another, where do they come from? How can he buy them so cheap?)

I demanded my deposit back, we argued a bit. He took off saying he would refund my money in an hour through PayPal to recoup his fees they charge (Rule #6 If you have just driven 12 hours to be scammed and you have 12 hours to go back, beat the hell out of the guy while you can)

Of course he got too busy to refund my money promptly. I filed fraud charges with eBay, PayPal, SquareTrade, and the Federal Consumer Protection Division of Internet Fraud. These entities are worthless. PayPal refused a refund because they consider a 'deposit' an intangible item and it is not covered. Believe me, I fought for months to get someone to guarantee my money. They will not help, their gaurantees are worthless. You cannot get the guys address to file a small claims charge from them. They take 30 days between actions, and they are easily tripped. Once the guy said he paid me back with a check back in 1972. That screwed the whole system up and I had to prove he didn't pay me 32 years ago, and wait another 30 days. (Rule #7 PayPal and eBay will not protect you.)

I filed for a credit with my Platinum Visa. The payment went to PayPal, then to the fraud guy. Boy I'll tell you, PayPal knows how to avoid chargebacks, they initiate another round of paperwork and the card company makes you go through it all again. (Rule #8 You don't always get your money back with a credit card)

I had a 16 page document of serial numbers, signed mechanic statements (had one with me when I went to pick it up) pictures, statements, emails etc. I had to send this packet out numerous times (Rule #9 Document everything!!)

I ended up getting the credit card to return the money to my account, PayPal was pissed, and they vowed to fight it more. I cancelled the card to protect myself. (Rule #10 THE GOLDEN RULE If it sounds too good to be true it is.) Actually on this ATV I paid premium price, so I wasn't getting a deal, but I didn't see the scam either. After this I posted a neg feedback, he did to me then also. He started getting many negatives as people began to look for the flaws I posted. Now he is out of business or under a new name.

Ironhead80
02-02-2005, 02:00 AM
Good tips, I usually say if I can't afford to lose it then I can't afford to buy it. I love me some Ebay but there's so many assholes I am nervous to use it on big items.

I got a guy thrown off over a HD coat. It was a sweat shop jacket made in China and he swore up and down it was real. He cleared everything and then disappeared.

Ratbike
02-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the info Lost.

IH-80 I agree with you. Had the same deal on ebay over a pair of jeans from som yong swet shop. After a bunch of hoops I was able to break even. :wacko:

whodatt
02-07-2005, 03:45 PM
I bought my truck off e-bay, but it was from a fairly local seller and I had him drive the truck to my house to make the deal. I was able to inspect it in my own garage before I gave him any money.

I know that there are lots of scammers on e-bay, and I would never send any large sum of money (or even an deposit) before I was able to check the item out. That said, I have bought a number of things off e-bay and have been very pleased with all of them.

There are lots of assholes out there, but there's also a lot of good people.

That being said, "Caveat emptor". B)

Joker
02-08-2005, 11:00 PM
I have had pretty good luck on Ebay but you do have to be careful. I almost got scammed on a Digital camera about 2 years ago. After pestering the guy for about 3 weeks straight with his home phone number that I got through E bay I finally got the camera as promised. Three months later I get a call from the FBI in his area and find Im one of the lucky ones that actually got the product that was paid for. Anyway there are all kinds of people out there. I have bought and sold on Ebay and had 95% good luck.
The last item I sold was my 1987 Kawasaki Eliminator, the guy that won the auction drove 10 hours to come and pick it up to save on shipping. Paid me with a bank check from his local area, ND. And wasnt really excited when I MADE him take it for a ride as it was 20 degrees out but I was right beside him on my Night Train. My point was that I wanted him to know exactly what he was getting for his money. When we got back from that short ride we loaded it up and off he went. The only thing I have heard from him since was positive feedback and I did the same for him. Just my experiences.
Joker